New chain and cogs, but now rear derailleur is noisy

Old November 17th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New chain and cogs, but now rear derailleur is noisy

I recently changed my chain and cogs because my old chain started
jumping on the cogs. (I could see that the old cogs were pretty
scalloped-out.) The new chain is a SRAM and the new cogs are Sunrace
on an old-fashioned freewheel. Now the drivetrain is noisy. Either
the chain, the cogs or my rear derailleur is not a happy camper with
the new parts. I think the noise seems to be coming from one of the
jockey wheels on my rear derailleur (a Deore LX). Does it sound to
you like I need to repair the derailleur, or are my chain and cogs
just not happy together? Can you buy jockey wheels for a Deore
derailleur separately?

Thanks. Retro
Old November 17th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

wrote in message
I recently changed my chain and cogs because my old chain started
jumping on the cogs. (I could see that the old cogs were pretty
scalloped-out.) The new chain is a SRAM and the new cogs are Sunrace
on an old-fashioned freewheel. Now the drivetrain is noisy. Either
the chain, the cogs or my rear derailleur is not a happy camper with
the new parts. I think the noise seems to be coming from one of the
jockey wheels on my rear derailleur (a Deore LX). Does it sound to
you like I need to repair the derailleur, or are my chain and cogs
just not happy together? Can you buy jockey wheels for a Deore
derailleur separately?

Thanks. Retro

Which SRAM chain and how many cogs on teh Sunrace freewheel? I assume
you did readjust the derailleur after installation of the freewheel
(since the replacement may not line up in the same place as the
original)?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 17th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Some of those replacement cogs or derailluer pulleys are aluminum, and the
older stock cogs were plastic. There is a noise difference between the two.
When I changed the pulleys on my bike it was more noisy.

Old November 17th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm still using friction shifting. No SIS for retroguy.

Upon closer inspection, I think the problems were that: (1) my
derailleur hanger got a little bent out of vertical. I inserted a 10
mm tap into its threads, and could see that it was not parallel to the
right pedal shaft by a couple of degrees or so, so I was able to get
it vertical by bending it slightly with a big crescent wrench. (2)
Also, I probably didn't have the derailleur tension tight enough, so
the top jockey wheel was too close to the cogs.
Old November 17th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
I recently changed my chain and cogs because my old chain started
jumping on the cogs. (I could see that the old cogs were pretty
scalloped-out.) The new chain is a SRAM and the new cogs are Sunrace
on an old-fashioned freewheel. Now the drivetrain is noisy. Either
the chain, the cogs or my rear derailleur is not a happy camper with
the new parts. I think the noise seems to be coming from one of the
jockey wheels on my rear derailleur (a Deore LX). Does it sound to
you like I need to repair the derailleur, or are my chain and cogs
just not happy together? Can you buy jockey wheels for a Deore
derailleur separately?

Eight or nine chain with seven freewheel? Check that. Often noisy.

Did you open and lubricate the rollers? They show a bright red oxide
when they are run dry (hot).

Did you switch the top and bottom rollers? Won't shift well.

Did you set the chain length by wrapping the big-big and adding 2+ rivets?

Did you check the index adjustment? Any change in lateral position of
the freewheel will move that.

Did you change something else recently besides the chain and freewheel?
Was your rear changer bent in the interim when the wheel was out?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 18th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike, aligning the derailleur hanger didn't solve the problem. Would
you mind giving me some more advice about this?

It just sounds like the chain is rubbing on the top pulley of the
derailleur during about half the pedal stroke, when under power. It
runs fairly quietly when not under power.

The chain is an SRAM PC-870; the Sunracer 8-speed freewheel is 32-14
and the rear derailleur is a Deore LX. Are you aware of any problems
with running these components in combination?

Thank you very much for your help.

retroguybilly
Old November 20th 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike and Andrew, thanks for your help.

Nope, it's a standard SRAM chain on an 8-speed freewheel. It just runs
really lousy under load. It doesn't skip or jump over cogs, but it
runs really noisy and sounds like something's rubbing or grinding
slightly. And no, it's not my derailleur adjustment.

I've been talking to a couple of other riders, and they claimed to
have had the same problem when they tried to use a SRAM chain with a
DuraAce cassette, but when they installed a Shimano chain the problem
disappeared. They also claimed that this incompatibility is fairly
well-known. Do you think this is true?

Then again, maybe I need to adjust the horizontal alignment of the
derailleur hanger. I don't want to unfairly indict the SRAM chain if
such is not warranted. If I hadn't paid so much for the SRAM chain at
the LBS, I'd just go out and buy a Shimano chain and try it.

Thanks again.

New PC-59 chain is noisy [email protected] Techniques 14 July 26th 07 02:15 AM
1/8" chain and Shimano SIS rear derailleur Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ® Techniques 1 May 25th 07 01:49 PM
worth replacing front chain ring and rear cogs on old Trek? Joe Mountain Biking 4 November 2nd 06 04:15 PM
Noisy Chain Roger Zoul General 17 October 31st 05 05:12 AM
Q: Chain noisy on front big ring/all rear cogs, silent on front small/all rear cogs App Techniques 6 October 12th 05 02:01 PM