Deore XT rear derailleur (9sp?) on Ultegra 10sp system?

Old November 19th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Deore XT rear dérailleur (9sp?) on Ultegra 10sp system?

Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Nov 17, 7:45 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Nov 17, 6:01 am, CraiginNJ wrote:
Thank you for that most-excellent post, Hank.
"Cable pull rate" -- that's a very clear explanation that gives me
confidence not to worry about that concern.
curvature -- good discussion of the issues. I'm prepared to make
creative adjustments so the tail end of the cage clears the big ring.
Since 56 and 57 aren't unheard of, it doesn't seem an insurmountable
issue.
56 and 57 aren't unheard of on double cranks on TT machines. The
FD-6600 Double FD specs a max. ring of 56. But the 6603 specs a 52
max. Those big rings just aren't supposed to go on triples.[...]

I run a 62/52/39 triple without problem, though the height adjustment of
the front derailer is critical. I could run a wider range if I trimmed
the cage with a grinder. It should be noted that this is shifter with a
SRAM twist-grip that has intermediate detents for trimming.

Please Honor The Signature Separator.

Is that a 6603 FD?

No RSX "road" ca. 1999-2000 model. The cage barely clears the 62T big
ring and the chain barely clears the cross-piece at the back of the cage
when on the 39T granny ring. 63/52/39 or 62/52/38 would likely be the limit.

And I think that the 10t gap between big and middle is the key part
here - Craig was talking about a 13t gap at a higher mount than spec,
and like I mentioned, you can only get away with it if you're not
indexing.

Do front shifters with detents but more than 3 positions count as indexed?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.