Scattante R-560 (Performance Bike)

Old September 1st 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
yirgster

Default Scattante R-560 (Performance Bike)

Scattante R-560 (from Performance Bike): any opinions on this. The
2009 model is on sale for $799, a large reduction.

What attracted me to the Scattante is that it has some Shimano 105
components: the shifters and derailleurs. Other than that, I have no
idea. Like about the frame, for example.

My cousin in his 30's is looking for a bike. He lives in the Palo Alto
area in the SF Bay Area. Naturally, he doesn't want to spend much. In
his little exposure to cycling he likes it, and I think he's a natural
candidate to get into riding. He's a former NCAA swimmer, so an
athlete and, I assume, one with strong legs. So, I'm thinking that a
better bike will be more fun to ride and he'll more likely get into
it.

For myself, I'm a long time rider in the SF Bay area who has lived in
Palo Alto where I rode a lot in the surrounding hills and Santa Cruz
mountains.
Old September 1st 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TT

On Sep 1, 10:47*am, yirgster wrote:
[...]

Along the same line of quality is the bikesdirect.com line of bikes.
Also very cheap and I've known some folks to buy a nice frame
elsewhere and then buy a bikesdirect bike to strip the parts and put
them onto their nice frame and then sell the bikesdirect frame.

-Tom
Old September 1st 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
yirgster

On Sep 1, 11:38*am, TT wrote:
[...]

Is the Scattante R-560 frame of decent quality?
Old September 2nd 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TT

On Sep 1, 11:42*am, yirgster wrote:
On Sep 1, 11:38*am, TT wrote:

[...]

It's likely a Chinese frame. There was actually a thread on craigslist
discussions today and several people recommended them. Probably won't
have good resale value (nor will bikesdirect) but then again you can
always find a fool willing to part with his money on Craigslist.

-Tom
Old September 2nd 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 1, 11:38 am, TT wrote:

[...]

Perhaps this will help you sort this out:

http://tinyurl.com/lddva3

Note that the referenced company makes frames not only for the Bikes
Direct brands (Motobecane, Dawes, Mercier), but also for (GASP! Can it
be true???) Trek. They are also the likely supplier for this Scattante
frame.

How much is the name on the down tube (e.g., Motobecane v. Trek) worth
to YOU?

Old September 3rd 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
[...]
Perhaps this will help you sort this out:

http://tinyurl.com/lddva3

Note that the referenced company makes frames not only for the Bikes
Direct brands (Motobecane, Dawes, Mercier), but also for (GASP! Can it
be true???) Trek. They are also the likely supplier for this Scattante
frame.

How much is the name on the down tube (e.g., Motobecane v. Trek) worth
to YOU?

I dislike the use of the Motobecane name out of principal, since there
is no connection to the original company.

On the other hand, Scattante is a crappy choice for a name (terrible pun
intended).

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Celebrity culture is an opposite of community, informing us
Old September 3rd 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bratwurst Style

On Sep 1, 11:38 am, TT wrote:

[...]

Aluminum Scattante frames are made in China, the carbon ones in
Taiwan. They are re-branded Fujis and quite awesome. I have a full
Dura Ace CFR.
Old September 3rd 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 2, 6:48 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
[...]
Perhaps this will help you sort this out:

http://tinyurl.com/lddva3

Note that the referenced company makes frames not only for the Bikes
Direct brands (Motobecane, Dawes, Mercier), but also for (GASP! Can it
be true???) Trek. They are also the likely supplier for this Scattante
frame.

How much is the name on the down tube (e.g., Motobecane v. Trek) worth
to YOU?

I dislike the use of the Motobecane name out of principal, since there
is no connection to the original company.

As a big fan of the original, French Motos, I concur. OTOH, the
Motobecane branded bikes available through bikesdirect.com *are* an
excellent value.

On the other hand, Scattante is a crappy choice for a name (terrible pun
intended).

Agreed. What were they thinking???

Old September 3rd 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 2, 6:56 pm, Bratwurst Style wrote:
On Sep 2, 4:13 am, Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 1, 11:38 am, TT wrote:

[...]

Did it ever occur to you that "Fuji" might not actually make the Fuji-
branded bikes? IOW, that the Fujis and the Scattantes are made by the
same Asian OEM frame maker? A maker that would put *your* name on the
downtube if you were willing to order 2-3 thousand frames.

I have a full
Dura Ace CFR.

I'm happy for you.......

Old September 12th 09, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RSI-Schaaf,Byrum

[...]

I live in portland and just bought a 660. I love it. I've only put 100
miles on it so far but it is great.