Campagnolo hubs EU source

Old September 6th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

Default Campagnolo hubs EU source

"bfd" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 1:20 pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:

The problem is that it used to be fairly easy to find decent double
walled
and double eyelet rims that weighed in about 375 grams. Can you suggest
any
at all now?

I think the question is what rim had double walled and double eyelet
that weighed 375g? I can't think of any clincher rim that fit those
requirements. Even the vaulted Mavic MA2 weighed in at about
460-475g.

I have a set of Araya CTL-370's that I just weighed. One was 370 grams and
the other 390 grams. Single eyelets though. A set of heavily built FIR's
that are double and double weighed in at 450 apiece and could have plainly
been a lot lighter without losing strength anywhere important.

Lighter rims aren't effected by speeds. They are by spoke count though.

Old September 6th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

Can you suggest any decent 375 grams double walled and double eyelet rims
from the 'old days' ?

I had a set of very light Martrix rims with double eyelets. Don't have them
anymore so I can't weigh them. But they were very light. The trouble was
that they were hardened rims and hence tended to split along the brake ridge
after a little wear.

Campy also made a look-alike for the MA-2 that weighed 400 grams and often
you could go through a stack of them and get a couple of 390's or lighter.

Seems to me that was when we started discussing it here and Jobst first
started with his MA-2 litany since Mavic made an identical rim that was
anodized black that broke fairly rapidly.

Old September 6th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tom Kunich wrote:
"bfd" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 8:52 am, Hank wrote:
On Sep 5, 7:19 pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:

The real problem is that it is very difficult to get very good 32 or
36
spoke rims anywhere.
What planet are you on? I'll grant you that some "very good rims"
aren't available in 36 hole anymore, but only the most absurd/exotic
aren't available in 32.

If you disagree, please give an example.

I think the problem is some like Jobst believe that the *only* good
rim is the Mavic MA2. Other very good rims from Velocity, Sun,
Ambrosio, IRD, FiR and other non MA2 Mavic rims, to name just a few,
all seem to have some sort of "flaw" and are criticized if used. Still
there are tens of thousands, if not 100s of thousands, of these non-
Mavic MA2 rims in use and thousands, like myself, have no problem.

The problem is that it used to be fairly easy to find decent double walled
and double eyelet rims that weighed in about 375 grams. Can you suggest any
at all now?

Except for the Araya CTL370, I can't think of another
classic clincher in that range from any major vendor.

At 400g+, there are plenty of choices

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 7th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 6, 3:21*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
"bfd" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 8:52 am, Hank wrote:
[...]

And how well would a 375g clincher handle being laced into a 10s Campy
hub, I wonder? I'd be worried about pulling nipples through on the
drive side. I strung up a set of Super Champion Record du Mondes
(tubular, 325g) to a 10s Veloce hub to put on my PX-10 and I had to
back off tensioning them, because it felt like the rim was yielding at
the spoke holes. Just too much dish to build a strong wheel with that
rim.
Old September 7th 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 6 Sep, 22:47, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

Can you suggest any decent 375 grams double walled and double eyelet rims
from the 'old days' ?

I had a set of very light Martrix rims with double eyelets. Don't have them
anymore so I can't weigh them. But they were very light. The trouble was
that they were hardened rims and hence tended to split along the brake ridge
after a little wear.

Campy also made a look-alike for the MA-2 that weighed 400 grams and often
you could go through a stack of them and get a couple of 390's or lighter.

Seems to me that was when we started discussing it here and Jobst first
started with his MA-2 litany since Mavic made an identical rim that was
anodized black that broke fairly rapidly.

I used MA40s, they were fine unless made jobstian tight. They would
either tug at the eyelets, depite the ferrules or buckle due to
overload. With a good build they are fine rims, nice for off road
use. The surface crazed after 30,000 miles but the walls are so thick
it does not penetrate.
Old September 13th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 2, 3:36*pm, Hank wrote:
On Sep 2, 1:23*pm, Orin wrote:

On Sep 2, 12:43*am, Luca Magnoni wrote:

Hello everybody.
Here _in Italy_ it's getting almost impossibile to find new Campagnolo
hubs.

Shops don't have them anymore, and Campagnolo doesn't have _any_ rear
hub left in their warehouse except from Record 32h.

Most online shops don't carry them either. I have tried www3.hibike.de
which has Centaur listed but again, rear hubs are not available.
Chain Reaction, only Record, same for Wiggle and Bike Discount. Bike
Components in Germany same as HiBike, listed but not available.

Is there any European source I could contact that still carries them?
Or is eBay (UK or D) my only chance?
I know it's paradoxal since I am in Italy but...

Try totalcycling.com. *They have 32H Daytona listed as a hubset...
same as the 'good' Centaur hubs.

Orin.

Thanks for the tip!

I put in an order, we'll see if they deliver...

Got these in the mail on the 11th. Nine days shipping from Northern
Ireland via airmail. Not only still sealed in the boxes, but the boxes
were sealed together in a plastic bag to keep the set intact. The
silver ones don't have as nice a finish as the grey ones (the grey
obviously masks any surface flaws) but are otherwise identical to my 3
other sets of grey Centaur hubs. Actually, the Daytona rear hub uses a
philips screw for the locknut, whereas the Centaurs have a 2.5mm allen
screw. All fronts use the philips.

All told, a great deal - something resembling $150US shipped, which
isn't much more than Nashbar had blown out the grey ones for.

Now I need to decide on rims. I'm leaning towards Aeroheads again, but
have toyed with getting Fusions. I want to get blue powder coated
either way, to match the SON/Aerohead I already have built up. Ah,
wheelbuilding. The healthiest addiction you can have, and perhaps
cheaper than some drugs...
Old September 14th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

I must be a bit behind the times. I have a 32 hole Centaur Rear NIB
and a pair of Record 28 hole and Record 32 hole that are used 100 mi.
each. Looking to sell. I'll list on eBay.

I have Velocity Aerohead black rims to build a set of 28/32.

Old September 14th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Sep 14, 12:29*pm, Paul Kopit wrote:
I must be a bit behind the times. *I have a 32 hole Centaur Rear NIB
and a pair of Record 28 hole and Record 32 hole that are used 100 mi.
each. *Looking to sell. *I'll list on eBay.

The 32h Centaur "grey" rear hub is still available from Nashbar for
about $75. However, if you have Silver Record rear hubs, those are
rare as Campy is only selling black ones and people are appear to be
paying about $125 for the 32h Record rear. The 28h is even rarer and
may bring more $$$. Good Luck!