is this a bad idea?

Old September 15th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

Default is this a bad idea?

On 14 Sep, 23:37, someone wrote:
On 14 Sep, 23:21, Nate Nagel wrote:

I thought I'd come up with a real neat way to mount both fenders and a
rack on my bike, but now that I've got a wheel with a hub and cassette
fitted to the frame, I'm starting to reconsider.

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/trek/maybeaproblem.html

this is just close enough that I'm a little nervous about it. *Am I
worried over nothing, or should I take the stuff off and rework it?

Ideally you should fix the guard to the rack, but this way satisfies
most.

If you grind most of that head off or replace it with a countersink
head screw.
Old September 15th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 14, 5:30*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
I thought I'd come up with a real neat way to mount both fenders and a
rack on my bike, but now that I've got a wheel with a hub and cassette
fitted to the frame, I'm starting to reconsider.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/trek/maybeaproblem.html
this is just close enough that I'm a little nervous about it. *Am I
worried over nothing, or should I take the stuff off and rework it?

If the chain doesn't hit your bolt during a shift, you're OK.

Agree.

Is that mudguard brace on the inside? Rack next to frame, in
shear, with mudguard outside is more usual.

Looks like that might be an impossibility with that type of stay. (SKS
breakaway?)

Old September 15th 09, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

landotter wrote:
On Sep 14, 5:30 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
I thought I'd come up with a real neat way to mount both fenders and a
rack on my bike, but now that I've got a wheel with a hub and cassette
fitted to the frame, I'm starting to reconsider.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/trek/maybeaproblem.html
this is just close enough that I'm a little nervous about it. Am I
worried over nothing, or should I take the stuff off and rework it?

If the chain doesn't hit your bolt during a shift, you're OK.

Agree.

Is that mudguard brace on the inside? Rack next to frame, in
shear, with mudguard outside is more usual.

Looks like that might be an impossibility with that type of stay. (SKS
breakaway?)

Actually I think SKS would go right on, the breakaway is for the front
yes? I'd still have to spread the rack around the fender stays rather
than do it the other way around due to the construction of the rack but
other than that I think those would work well. But see a few posts
back, I figured out how to make them work. one of those "duh!" moments.

I still want a pair of SKS or metal fenders, but I'm not buying anything
not mission-critical yet... next purchases, ASSuming that the bike
rides OK when all together (don't see why it shouldn't) will likely be a
front wheel with dynohub and a good headlight.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

idea of value? Fat Freddy's Cat UK 8 November 18th 06 12:40 PM
Idea? 0nly0newheel Unicycling 7 April 9th 06 07:22 PM
T shirt Idea to end all T shirt idea posts pdc Unicycling 9 October 25th 05 04:44 PM
UW/BC idea daino149 Unicycling 4 June 12th 04 09:23 PM
idea MPUni Unicycling 30 March 1st 04 04:36 AM