When did tires get so expensive?

Old January 9th 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default When did tires get so expensive?

On Jan 9, 7:27 am, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 3, 5:19 pm, SMS wrote:

On 1/3/2011 12:55 PM, bfd wrote:

On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, wrote:
I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

These prices are a bargain! If price is a concern, just be glad you
are not in the market for a fancy dancy 700x23 tire, were you can
expect to pay anywhere from $40-80+ EACH!

Sounds like Performance was a deal then. Maybe I'll go back and buy some
more Ritchey Tom Slick tires.

I had a choice of four places close enough to go to buy a tire on
Sunday, REI, Wal-Mart, Off Ramp, and Performance. REI was the closest,
but I remembered that REI had a limited and expensive selection of tire.
Off Ramp and Performance are on the same block, and I've had good
experiences with both of these companies, but I recalled that
Performance had a very large tire selection, including their own brand
of CCTs (cheap Chinese tires).

If I had to pay $80 for a 700x23 tire, I wouldn't. I usually buy tires
at brick and mortar stores, but if the least expensive B&M store tire
were $40 then I'd find another B&M store or order online. There's 11
different Panaracer 700-23 tires from $17-35 at ebikestop.com, and some
even less than that (out of 98 different 700-23 tires).

I was just out in the garage looking at the Miyata on the stand
(recent quill stem thread had me checking for corrosion). (That's a
sweet hadlebar stem on that bike, BTW.) It has 700x23 Vittoria Rubino
Pros (the rear has a nasty cut that holds with a foil boot). I so
want to try 700x25 Vittoria Diamontes (or whatever they're called) on
it, but that's gonna be at least a 'C' note. (Maybe I get a pair of
Corsa's for about the same someday.)

If I was fast enough I wouldn't pay anything for tires, but I'm not.

Old January 9th 11, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 9, 7:29 am, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 9, 7:27 am, Dan O wrote:

On Jan 3, 5:19 pm, SMS wrote:

On 1/3/2011 12:55 PM, bfd wrote:

On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, wrote:
[...]

Which is something I wondered about tires and why they're so
expensive: Ever seen the trucks full of racing tires at the
racetrack? Who do you think pays for those? I realize thay're a
small % of overall production, but I imagine they cost a lot more to
make than the runs destined for retail. Just wondered.

Old January 9th 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/09/2011 10:27 AM, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 3, 5:19 pm, wrote:
On 1/3/2011 12:55 PM, bfd wrote:

On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, wrote:
[...]

(Do I win the parenthesizing contest? :-)

I don't think there's too many tires available for less than $40 in any
of the B&M stores around here. Maybe the wire bead, non-belted Paselas,
but just barely. This is why I order my tires online.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 9th 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tad McClellan

Dan O wrote:

(Do I win the parenthesizing contest? :-)

Not even close when compared to the Strategic Defense Initiative:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00014.html

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
Old January 9th 11, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/9/2011 8:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't think there's too many tires available for less than $40 in any
of the B&M stores around here. Maybe the wire bead, non-belted Paselas,
but just barely. This is why I order my tires online.

Well Performance has a bunch. That's why I went there, along with the
fact that it was open on Sunday and it was close enough to ride to with
a half-inflated tire!
Old January 9th 11, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/9/2011 7:32 AM, Dan O wrote:

Which is something I wondered about tires and why they're so
expensive: Ever seen the trucks full of racing tires at the
racetrack? Who do you think pays for those? I realize thay're a
small % of overall production, but I imagine they cost a lot more to
make than the runs destined for retail. Just wondered.

Tires are an extremely high profit item for vehicles, and I imagine the
same holds true for bicycles. It's not the cost of manufacturing, it's
that they're priced at what the market will bear. My son's latest new
bicycle cost less than two high end bicycle tires, and it's not from
Wal-Mart or Target!

Old January 9th 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't think there's too many tires available for less than $40 in any
of the B&M stores around here. *Maybe the wire bead, non-belted Paselas,
but just barely. *This is why I order my tires online.

That would not fly with my customers, though it is probably the case
at other local bike shops here.

We sell a lot of $12 Cheng Shin and Kenda tires; quite a few $20-22
tires like the Vittoria Zaffiro, Conti Ultra Sport, and a slew of
options from CST; and a handful of over-$40 tires like Conti
Gatorskins, Soma Everwears, and Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. Our most
popular single model in the 26" size is the CST Cyclops, which we sell
for $17 last I checked. It's an outstanding tire for the price.

Non-folding, non-Tour Guard Paselas cost $26 in my shop. We like
them, but we don't sell very many of them. Most folks want to pay
less than that, and many others want more puncture protection. It's
hard to sell them on their sweet ride alone.

Chalo
Old January 10th 11, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RobertH

On Jan 2, 11:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,
then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
hold. Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
(Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)

BS (not)

Your post seems to imply that energy prices are going up primarily due
to government regulations.
Old January 10th 11, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

RobertH wrote:
On Jan 2, 11:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,
then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
hold. Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
(Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)

Your post seems to imply that energy prices are going up primarily due
to government regulations.

Which part of the last 30 years would you like us to expand
upon?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 10th 11, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jan 9, 5:52*pm, AMuzi wrote:
RobertH wrote:
On Jan 2, 11:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,
then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
hold. *Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
(Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)

Your post seems to imply that energy prices are going up primarily due
to government regulations.

Which part of the last 30 years would you like us to expand
upon?
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

If a person or group attempted implementation of a rational
transistion from A to B,
he would be summarliy terminated. It/they don't fit into an unbalanced
economic scheme.