BMX hub question

Old July 17th 05, 03:52 AM
Gooserider

Default BMX hub question

My younger brother has decided he wants an old school BMX, and hit me with
an odd question. He wants to know if it's possible to have a flip/flop rear
hub with a coaster brake. I have no idea, so I ask you. I don't know why he
wants to run three brakes on the bike, but that's his deal.

Old July 17th 05, 04:57 AM
JeffWills

Gooserider wrote:
My younger brother has decided he wants an old school BMX, and hit me with
an odd question. He wants to know if it's possible to have a flip/flop rear
hub with a coaster brake. I have no idea, so I ask you. I don't know why he
wants to run three brakes on the bike, but that's his deal.

No. By definition, a flip-flop hub has sprockets on both sides. A
coaster brake hub requires a torque arm that is connected to the frame,
which means the sprocket needs to be on the other side.

Mechanically, it *might* be possible, but I've never seen a hub like
this.

Jeff

Old July 18th 05, 04:14 AM
A Muzi

Gooserider wrote:

My younger brother has decided he wants an old school BMX, and hit me with
an odd question. He wants to know if it's possible to have a flip/flop rear
hub with a coaster brake. I have no idea, so I ask you. I don't know why he
wants to run three brakes on the bike, but that's his deal.

nope. There's no such hub made

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 18th 05, 08:56 AM
m-gineering

A Muzi wrote:

Gooserider wrote:

My younger brother has decided he wants an old school BMX, and hit me with
an odd question. He wants to know if it's possible to have a flip/flop rear
hub with a coaster brake. I have no idea, so I ask you. I don't know why he
wants to run three brakes on the bike, but that's his deal.

nope. There's no such hub made

you might be able to put two sprockets on a regular coasterhub, or weld
two back to back.

Note that a coaster hub will not permit the bike to roll backwards if
you stand on the pedals
--
---
Marten Gerritsen