Mavic R-SYS carbon ultimate

Old June 17th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist[_3_]

Default Mavic R-SYS carbon ultimate

Tom Kunich wrote:
" wrote in message

I don't get it (it meaning the hipsters riding
trackie-but-not-really stuff, not meaning Chung's
class, that is). But then, I never did learn to
trackstand right, and am a hopeless dork since
my fixed gear has clipless pedals (and brakes).

It was my understanding that you can't track stand on tracks anymore.
That you're required to always keep moving at least a little.

3.2.039 The rider on the inside of the track, unless overtaken, shall
lead until reaching the pursuit line on the opposite side of the track.
A maximum of two standstills shall be permitted for each race. The
maximum period for a standstill shall be 30 seconds following which, the
leading rider shall be directed by the starter to continue. If he fails
to do so, the starter shall stop the race and declare the other rider
the winner of the heat. In a three or four-up race, the race shall be
immediately rerun as a two or three-up race, without the relegated rider.
Old June 17th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_4_]

Howard Kveck wrote:
The Arse-SYS (h/t Bob S)

bjw gets credit for first use.

Bob Schwartz
Old June 17th 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

Howard Kveck wrote:
The Arse-SYS (h/t Bob S)

bjw gets credit for first use.

Oops. Sorry, Ben!

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old June 17th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

On Jun 16, 7:39*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,

*hizark21 wrote:
On Jun 16, 2:18*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Paul B. Anders" wrote in

What are some other good choices that people like?

I've been using mostly Mavic stuff. I use Kyseriums but after the foot in
the spokes crash from a year and a half ago I've been moving as I could
into
the Mavic Heliums and Cosmos which are more "normal" wheels. I haven't had
any trouble at all with the Mavic wheels which is why it worries me that
they're playing with that R-SYS which can put them out of business.

I doubt it, if the R-SYS issue is resolved properly they can move on.
Mavic has a very good reputation. The Kyseriums are a good wheel, but
I dislike the fact that the wheels have to be shipped back to Mavic
for re-lacing. I can see where a dealer has to be trained however.

Well I would count investigation redesign and replacement as
resolution. I would also be interested to see if the CPSC is
investigating.

As for the Kyserium wheels this is a different issue. If you cut the
spokes from a wheel this can cause excessive stress on the hub. This
can cause the hub to crack. Did you contact Mavic about the hub crack
and what was there response.

* *The Arse-SYS (h/t Bob S) won't be resolved properly unless you count "withdrawn
from the market" as a proper resolution. The sooner, the better. And Mavic sells rims
and spokes for Ksyriums. I rebuilt one that cracked at the threaded spoke hole.

Old June 17th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

,

*hizark21 wrote:

I doubt it, if the R-SYS issue is resolved properly they can move on.
Mavic has a very good reputation. The Kyseriums are a good wheel, but
I dislike the fact that the wheels have to be shipped back to Mavic
for re-lacing. I can see where a dealer has to be trained however.

* *The Arse-SYS (h/t Bob S) won't be resolved properly unless you count
"withdrawn from the market" as a proper resolution. The sooner, the better.
And Mavic sells rims and spokes for Ksyriums. I rebuilt one that cracked at
the threaded spoke hole.

Well I would count investigation redesign and replacement as
resolution. I would also be interested to see if the CPSC is
investigating.

I think it's pretty clear that wheel is a bad design. If some supported rider on a
pro team has problems with it, they can cover that situation reasonably well. But if
Joe Consumer has problems like they've been having (remember, the wheels have already
been recalled once), they will have a much bigger problem on their hands.

As for the Kyserium wheels this is a different issue. If you cut the
spokes from a wheel this can cause excessive stress on the hub. This
can cause the hub to crack. Did you contact Mavic about the hub crack
and what was there response.

Huh? The Ksyrium spoke isn't threaded at the hub. The nipple has external threads
and the rim is threaded where the nipple enters it.. I didn't say anything about
cutting the spokes. After the rim broke, I rode home and loosened all the spokes
gradually and replaced the rim and the one spoke that had been damaged by the broken
rim. There was no cracked hub and no reason to contact mavic about it. I fixed it -
it's been fine for a couple of years since.

Old June 17th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
P. Chisholm

On Jun 16, 4:55*pm, hizark21 wrote:
On Jun 16, 2:18*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Paul B. Anders" wrote in ...

What are some other good choices that people like?

I've been using mostly Mavic stuff. I use Kyseriums but after the foot in
the spokes crash from a year and a half ago I've been moving as I could into
the Mavic Heliums and Cosmos which are more "normal" wheels. I haven't had
any trouble at all with the Mavic wheels which is why it worries me that
they're playing with that R-SYS which can put them out of business.

I doubt it, if the R-SYS issue is resolved properly they can move on.
Mavic has a very good reputation. The Kyseriums are a good wheel, but
I dislike the fact that the wheels have to be shipped back to Mavic
for re-lacing. I can see where a dealer has to be trained however.

Kry-for-me-siriums have one of the poorest rear hub designs now
available in any wheel. PLUS aluminum spokes do nothing, break and
cost $5 per. Any decent shop can relace(we true and replace spokes on
these all the time) but with daily changing spoke dimensions and the
cost of spoke kits, it's just cheaper to send to Mavic instead of
having the shop charge $75 labor and $5 per spoke.
Old June 17th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:

It was my understanding that you can't track stand on tracks anymore.
That you're required to always keep moving at least a little.

3.2.039 The rider on the inside of the track, unless overtaken, shall lead
until reaching the pursuit line on the opposite side of the track. A
maximum of two standstills shall be permitted for each race. The maximum
period for a standstill shall be 30 seconds following which, the leading
rider shall be directed by the starter to continue. If he fails to do so,
the starter shall stop the race and declare the other rider
the winner of the heat. In a three or four-up race, the race shall be
immediately rerun as a two or three-up race, without the relegated rider.

Ahh, you only have to trackstand for 30 seconds which in people time is
about 24 hours.