Basso: Armstrong will be a beast at the Tour

Old June 26th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

Default Basso: Armstrong will be a beast at the Tour

In article ,
"marco" wrote:

marco wrote:
Any other crit and I'd agree that his result doesn't indicate much. But
Nevada City is most definitely not any other crit, as you certainly know,
and it was a really good field. Accounts from strong guys in the race are
unanimous: Lance's power was very impressive. Nevada City is like doing
forty closely-spaced 90-second intervals at way over threshold and it
appeared that Lance was going just as good at the end. So, I think his
result indicates that he may be able to withstand repeated attacks on the
big TdF climbs from Contador, you know, the world's best stage racer.

KG wrote:
Dumbass -

Nevada City calls for a completely different type of effort than a
hors climb in the TdF.

That is completely correct. Like I said, it's more like short intervals.
Here's my own pathetic attempt in the fattie race a couple years ago...
http://tinyurl.com/lldm4l
...which was won by Kevin Metcalf, who is not a fattie, but 2nd place was a
200-pounder named Bubba who I'd drop like a rock on a real climb.

For example, Oscar Friere (or the heavy, non-TdF contending young
version of LANCE) likely could've beat this version of LANCE at Nevada
City. When it comes to the hors climb, it doesn't mean jack does it?
LANCE is doing well at repeated 90 second anaerobic efforts. That's
great for a "Masters Skinny" like him. Still, it doesn't mean he'll be
able to take Contador in an hors climb.

All true. I was just trying to get a response from somebody about Contador
repeatedly attacking Lance over and over with short surges. That would make
more entertaining viewing than if he simply rides away at 6.6 W/kg versus
Lance's 6.5 W/kg.

Seems more likely that Astana will ride as a team.
If they do not, a rider from another team will carry
off the GC honors. There are other riders I would
prefer to watch Contador slow roast and baste.

--
Michael Press

Old June 27th 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
barry j taylor

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
news
"hizark21" wrote in message

Well it shows that Lance can attack. But like I said it's hard to
judge.

There is no 90 minute race that can show anything about a Tour contender
save that he isn't dead.

try telling that to the winner of this year's Spanish TT

---

a friendly growl from the drop bear who cycles

__ __ __ _ __
/__/ / /__/ /_ /_\ /_ /
/_ / _ / /__/ /__ / \ / \ ....Azzuri Milano

barry j taylor

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

Old June 27th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"hizark21" wrote in message

Well it shows that Lance can attack. But like I said it's hard to
judge.

There is no 90 minute race that can show anything about a Tour contender
save that he isn't dead.

try telling that to the winner of this year's Spanish TT

What's that supposed to mean Barry? Are you saying that by looking at the
winner of a national TT title that you can predict the way they'll ride a
Tour?

Old June 27th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:

Sorry about the multiply reposted message. In my defense
I can say with a clear conscience _It_Is_Not_My_Fault_.
I am looking into it.

--
Michael Press
Old June 27th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

Michael Press wrote:
Sorry about the multiply reposted message. In my defense
I can say with a clear conscience _It_Is_Not_My_Fault_.
I am looking into it.

I had one too. It's from a 3rd party, check the headers. But most of the
headers are copied so you should still be authorised to cancel them,
that's what I did anyway.
Old June 27th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Susan Walker wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
Sorry about the multiply reposted message. In my defense
I can say with a clear conscience _It_Is_Not_My_Fault_.
I am looking into it.

I had one too. It's from a 3rd party, check the headers. But most of the
headers are copied so you should still be authorised to cancel them,
that's what I did anyway.

I saw that. Thanks.

--
Michael Press
Old June 28th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG[_2_]

On Jun 27, 12:23*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
*Michael Press wrote:

Sorry about the multiply reposted message. In my defense
I can say *with a clear conscience _It_Is_Not_My_Fault_.

Whose fault is it then?
Old June 28th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
KG wrote:

On Jun 27, 12:23Â*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
Â*Michael Press wrote:

Sorry about the multiply reposted message. In my defense
I can say Â*with a clear conscience _It_Is_Not_My_Fault_.

Whose fault is it then?

I am looking into it.

--
Michael Press
Old June 30th 09, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

On Jun 25, 11:11*am, hizark21 wrote:
On Jun 25, 11:00*am, Carl Sundquist wrote:

hizark21 wrote:
On Jun 25, 7:58 am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"hizark21" wrote in message

Lance's recent performanc at the Nevada city race is encouraging.
Just out of curiosity - just what the hell would that have to do with
anything at all?

Well it gives some indication of Lance's form of course

51 finishers in a 90 minute crit. Two going to the Tour. What does it
indicate?

Well it shows that Lance can attack. But like I said it's hard to
judge.

With Contador's recent national TT victory (http://www.bikeradar.com/
news/article/contador-wins-spanish-national-time-trial-22201 ) I think
his chances of winning shifts firmly in his favor. Till now I believed
that Lance might have a chance of winning the TT and Contador would be
forced to defend Lance.
Old June 30th 09, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG[_2_]

"hizark21" wrote in message

Lance's recent performanc at the Nevada city race is encouraging.
Just out of curiosity - just what the hell would that have to do with
anything at all?

Well it gives some indication of Lance's form of course

51 finishers in a 90 minute crit. Two going to the Tour. What does it
indicate?

Well it shows that Lance can attack. But like I said it's hard to
judge.

With Contador's recent national TT victory (http://www.bikeradar.com/
news/article/contador-wins-spanish-national-time-trial-22201 ) I think
his chances of winning shifts firmly in his favor. Till now I believed
that Lance might have a chance of winning the TT and Contador would be
forced to defend Lance.

Dumbass -

Contador may indeed be there with his TT skills, but winning the
Spanish TT championship is hardly evidence of his prowess. That nation
is awash in climbers, but who's been good from Spain since the days of
Indurain/Olano?

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Armstrong and Basso Andre Racing 10 December 11th 06 05:35 AM
Ullrich, Basso and Armstrong Tony Raven UK 2 October 22nd 06 12:43 PM
Will Armstrong pass Basso and Ramunsen on the road on Saturday? Maximillian Leon III Racing 4 July 25th 05 09:38 AM
Basso vs. Armstrong, where did Basso lose his time? Chris M Racing 10 July 22nd 05 05:43 PM
F/A: ARMSTRONG-BASSO ALPE D'HUEZ RARE PHOTO TOUR DE FRANCE Scott Steward Marketplace 0 December 15th 04 04:13 AM