what size cone spanner/s

Old January 3rd 06, 09:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default what size cone spanner/s

After doing my fist freehub service yesterday and lots of swearing and
knuckle-hurting the realisation that one DOES need the right tools hit
me

So, what size Cone Spanners do i need? Shimano hub on mtb
(no doubt the campy road stuff is different. sigh)

--
flyingdutch

Old January 3rd 06, 10:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:
After doing my fist freehub service yesterday and lots of swearing and
knuckle-hurting the realisation that one DOES need the right tools hit
me

So, what size Cone Spanners do i need? Shimano hub on mtb
(no doubt the campy road stuff is different. sigh)

I have the 13/14 and 15/16 spanners and that is all I've needed for my
various hubs. Sounds like you've got the job done but if you need to
borrow them give me a yell.

DaveB
Old January 3rd 06, 10:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Dutchy wrote:

So, what size Cone Spanners do i need? Shimano hub on mtb
(no doubt the campy road stuff is different. sigh)

Dunno about that filthy Shimano stuff, but a pair of 13s and a pair of
14's is all I've ever needed for my Campy hubs.

I can recommend the Park ones - they're very nice. The cheapo ones are
often too wide to fit.

Cheers,

Suzy

--
suzyj

Old January 4th 06, 02:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I've just finished rebuilding a Shimano MTB freehub and I needed to use a
pedal spanner (17) on the locknuts as my cone wrenches (13/14/15/16) only
fitted the cones (funny that). I've done a few other hubs that were the
same.

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

Old January 4th 06, 03:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
So, what size Cone Spanners do i need? Shimano hub on mtb (no doubt the
campy road stuff is different. sigh)

Just get a ruler and see what the measurement is from 'flat bit to flat
bit' on the cone. So if the space is 15mm, it's a 15mm spanner. Ezi

--
JayWoo

Old January 4th 06, 10:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"JayWoo" wrote in message

flyingdutch Wrote:
So, what size Cone Spanners do i need? Shimano hub on mtb (no doubt the
campy road stuff is different. sigh)

Just get a ruler and see what the measurement is from 'flat bit to flat
bit' on the cone. So if the space is 15mm, it's a 15mm spanner. Ezi

--
JayWoo

'Flat bit' is of course the technical term?

Ash

Old January 4th 06, 01:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle

NoZX6R Wrote:

17mm

--
Nick

Yers. LBS reckons 15 + 17mm for rear shimano hub

--
flyingdutch

Old January 4th 06, 02:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:
NoZX6R Wrote:

17mm

--
Nick

Yers. LBS reckons 15 + 17mm for rear shimano hub

You can get a kit of cheap cone spanners for all sizes, but I'd be very
suprised if a 15 and 17 wasn't sufficient. They work fine for home
use. I think mine were about $15? They're just chromed mild steel.
Remember cone bearings don't have to be (and shouldn't be!) tight, so
you don't really need expensive tools - the only really nice thing
about the more expensive cone spanners is they have padded handles,
which if you're working with them a lot makes them more comfortable.

Old January 4th 06, 03:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle

A5Hi5M wrote:

"JayWoo" wrote in message

flyingdutch Wrote:

So, what size Cone Spanners do i need? Shimano hub on mtb (no doubt the
campy road stuff is different. sigh)

Just get a ruler and see what the measurement is from 'flat bit to flat
bit' on the cone. So if the space is 15mm, it's a 15mm spanner. Ezi

--
JayWoo

'Flat bit' is of course the technical term?

Actually it is. In the Imperial spanner sizings, 1/2" A/F literally
means 1/2" Across the Flats of the bolt head. This differentiated it
from BSF and Whitworth that marked the spanners with the sizes of the
bolt *threads*.

From http://www.mackay.co.uk/acatalog/Cat...nners_236.html
talking about spanner sizing:

These are in most cases referred to 'across the flats' (A/F) sizes,

i.e. the size across the flats of the hexagon nut or bolt head, and can
be either in Metric or Imperial fractional sizes.

The exception to this is the old British standard size of bolts (BSW or
BSF) where the size given is invariably the diameter of the bolt and not
the head. As the BSF is a finer thread than BSW, BSF bolts need a
smaller head than BSW to reduce the possibility of stripping. Thus for
example a 3/8BSF bolt has only the same head size as that of a 5/16 BSW.

Cheers,
--
BrettS

wheel size ??? ellis Techniques 12 July 22nd 05 11:31 PM
Actual wheel size Carey Unicycling 9 July 19th 05 04:50 AM
Wrong size bike Terry D UK 8 July 7th 05 04:51 AM
Cone wrench size for hub overhaul W A S A T C H Techniques 11 December 28th 03 04:11 AM
Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type? Joe Samangitak General 15 August 8th 03 03:38 AM