a cage creature observation

Old September 9th 03, 08:31 PM

Default a cage creature observation

Kevan Smith /\/\ wrote:
I often ride to my LBS from my house, taking the same 7-mile route each time.
When I am all spandexed out and on my racing bike, cage creatures give me room
on the road, seldom yell, and, in general, treat me well. But, when I am on my
ATB, outfitted in normal clothes, I get heaps of abuse -- cars pass way too
close, people yell, etc. Nothing changes but the bike and clothing. I find this
odd.

I have noticed some of the same behaviors with my commuter bike vs.
my grocery shopping bike. I'll be riding the same roads right near
my house. Riding the same way, often at the same speeds (assuming
I don't have twenty pound sacks of rice in my baskets). Yet I get
a lot more honking, swearing, and bad behavior from motorists.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
You cannot run Windows innocently. Guilt of aiding & abetting, at the
Old September 9th 03, 11:04 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Kevan Smith wrote in message ...
But, when I am on my ATB, outfitted in normal clothes, I get
heaps of abuse -- cars pass way too close, people yell, etc.
Nothing changes but the bike and clothing. I find this odd.

Now you know why FREDS like Zoot are so bitter
and have such a bad attitude.

One question, why get on a ATB in normal clothes in
the first place?

When guys like Cipollini and Me aren't out training
we are seen in the Tuscany region on stuff like
Honda's 16-valve DOHC inline-four cylinder CBR
1100XX with the 42mm slanted flat-slide CV-type
Carburetors.

Save the lame ATB for the poor people like F. Golighty.

Old September 9th 03, 11:38 PM
len

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
writes:

I have noticed some of the same behaviors with my commuter bike vs.
my grocery shopping bike. I'll be riding the same roads right near
my house. Riding the same way, often at the same speeds (assuming
I don't have twenty pound sacks of rice in my baskets). Yet I get
a lot more honking, swearing, and bad behavior from motorists.

Appearing to be engaged in a leisure-time avocation
is one thing. Riders obviously on "training rides"
are innocuous in the eyes of motorized road users.
Maybe nuisances, at the worst.

But to [appear to] use a bicycle for real, practical
functionality is an insult -- maybe even a threat to the
more fundamentalist adherents to Car Culture, who are
extremely protective and defensive of their sacred cow's
(The Automobile) place in society. Iconoclasts
(ideophages?) have to expect some reactionism.

Practical cycling also exposes riders to poor-bashing.

That's my intuitive guess, anyway.

cheers,
Tom

Here is another thought; lycra clad, high dollar bike riding guys, probably
can afford a lawyer. Now, mountain bikes are expensive, but cheap knock offs
are plentiful, and they are not easily distinguished at 60 mph. IME the
people you see around here on mountain bikes on the roadare either kids or
that can't afford, or aren't allowed to drive. In short cannot afford a
lawyer, or get respect from the police. Just a thought. Len

Old September 10th 03, 12:22 AM
Steve McDonald

When I take out the Rocket-----my bike with a full front fairing
and a 6-foot long, streamlined fiberglass trailer and wear my
streamlined helmet, drivers give me plenty of room and courtesy. But
when riding a plain bicycle, I often feel like a cock pheasant on
opening day. It's a whole different world on the roads without my
special rig and I'm fair game for the drivers' rudeness.

When I finish my recumbent tricycle with quadraped lever drive, a
front fairing and a streamlined cargo box and tow the trailer, I wonder
what my status will be?

Steve McDonald

Old September 10th 03, 12:47 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Kevan Smith /\/\ writes:

Man, you are like the greatest ever. Thanks for helping me regain my
perspective. I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks, man.

Whudda toady!

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old September 10th 03, 01:30 AM
David Kerber

In article , Kevan Smith
/\/\ says...
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:57:09 -0400, David Kerber from
Warren Rogers Associates wrote:

In article , Kevan Smith
/\/\ says...
I often ride to my LBS from my house, taking the same 7-mile route each time.
When I am all spandexed out and on my racing bike, cage creatures give me room
on the road, seldom yell, and, in general, treat me well. But, when I am on my
ATB, outfitted in normal clothes, I get heaps of abuse -- cars pass way too
close, people yell, etc. Nothing changes but the bike and clothing. I find this
odd.

Are these different conditions also at different times of the day or
week? You might be seeing (for example) one batch of drivers when you're
in your "roadie" clothes during the day, and a different batch on the
weekends when you're on the MTB.

Just a thought...

Same times and places. Doesn't matter. The racer getup gets "respect," and the
commuter non-look gets abuse.

Interesting. I haven't noticed that phenomenon, though I'll keep my eye
out for it to see if we might have it around here but at a lesser level.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old September 10th 03, 02:56 AM
Bill Davidson

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
When guys like Cipollini and Me aren't out training

In your dreams.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old September 10th 03, 08:38 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:04:51 GMT,
, tastelessly,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" admitted:

When guys like Cipollini and Me aren't out training
we are seen in the Tuscany region on stuff like
Honda's

Pros like you and Mario should be riding Ducati's Testasretta
SuperBike 998 with those gorgeous Marchesini wheels. Or something
manly like the Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Ballabio.
Leave the Hondas and Harleys for amateurs.
--
zk
Old September 10th 03, 10:30 AM
Steve McDonald

Steve McDonald wrote:

When I finish my recumbent tricycle with
quadraped lever drive, a front fairing and a
streamlined cargo box and tow the trailer, I wonder
what my status will be?

Kevan Smith proclaimed:

Full Fred-dom.

Actually, it was a guy named Fred who first got me started riding
quadraped recumbents. I believe he was the original "Fred" who inspired
this generic Fabbrizic handle, so disparagingly applied these days. It
was once a respected thing, to be a Fred.

Steve McDonald

Old September 10th 03, 10:51 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Bill Davidson wrote:
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
When guys like Cipollini and Me aren't out training

In your dreams.

Uh, duh.

It seems pretty factual to me anyway, as Mario said
he hasn't been out training for several months, on
retiring from the Vuelta.