Blackburn velodrome

Old June 27th 04, 04:58 AM
DaveB

Default Blackburn velodrome

I've been doing some early morning sessions at Blackburn velodrome when
it's nice and quiet. The info board says something along the lines of
Blackburn CC having right of way over the track. The only time I've been
there when another rider was the on the track (with a track bike) we
co-existed happily enough but I was wondering what the general attitude
is to casual riders being on the track with cycle club members?

DaveB

Old June 27th 04, 11:30 PM
PiledHigher

Daveb wrote:
I've been doing some early morning sessions at Blackburn velodrome when
it's nice and quiet. The info board says something along the lines of
Blackburn CC having right of way over the track. The only time I've been
there when another rider was the on the track (with a track bike) we co-
existed happily enough but I was wondering what the general attitude is
to casual riders being on the track with cycle club members?
DaveB

Club training is nearly every week night over summer (wouldn't see a
trackie anywhere near a wet track!) and at these times you will be asked
to leave the track. Racing is usually sat afternoons, same applies you
will be asked to leave the track.

Remember that a track bike has no brakes so give them more room if you
are on a normal bike.

Old June 28th 04, 01:19 AM
rickster

DaveB wrote in message ...
I've been doing some early morning sessions at Blackburn velodrome when
it's nice and quiet. The info board says something along the lines of
Blackburn CC having right of way over the track. The only time I've been
there when another rider was the on the track (with a track bike) we
co-existed happily enough but I was wondering what the general attitude
is to casual riders being on the track with cycle club members?

DaveB

Unlike most Veledromes which are council owned, Blackburn CC actually
own the veledrome. Consequently they do have the power to kick you
off. If you go to Carnegie, you will see they have it booked for
certains times, outside that time, you have to have made a booking and
display the relevent permit to have right of way.

General attitude is commom sense when using the veledrome it seems to
me.
Old June 28th 04, 01:36 AM
hippy

"DaveB" wrote in message
I've been doing some early morning sessions at Blackburn velodrome

when
it's nice and quiet. The info board says something along the lines of
Blackburn CC having right of way over the track. The only time I've

been
there when another rider was the on the track (with a track bike) we
co-existed happily enough but I was wondering what the general

attitude
is to casual riders being on the track with cycle club members?

I've been to a track training session with a guy
on a normal road bike cutting some laps as well.
I think he was known to the club and knew what
to do, so it was all good.. if trackies are on the
track, I'd ask if you can continue and if so, stay
high or otherwise out of their way, and keep eyes
and ears open..

You could always just join Blackburn and join us
riding track :-)

hippy

Old June 28th 04, 04:30 AM
Etxy

Hippy wrote:
I've been to a track training session with a guy on a normal road bike
cutting some laps as well. I think he was known to the club and knew
what to do, so it was all good.. if trackies are on the track, I'd ask
if you can continue and if so, stay high or otherwise out of their way,
and keep eyes and ears open..
You could always just join Blackburn and join us riding track :-)
hippy

That wasn't me by any chance was it? There've been a couple of times
when John has asked me to help show newbies the ropes and I didn't have
a pedal spanner to switch over to a track bike- in those circumstances,
given that I know how to ride on the track, and that I'm a club member,
I was allowed to ride around on my road bike.

Old June 28th 04, 04:45 AM
hippy

Etxy wrote:
That wasn't me by any chance was it? There've been a couple of times
when John has asked me to help show newbies the ropes and I didn't have
a pedal spanner to switch over to a track bike- in those circumstances,
given that I know how to ride on the track, and that I'm a club member,
I was allowed to ride around on my road bike.

Nah, it was an older guy.

You doing much riding these days?

hippy

Old June 28th 04, 12:37 PM
Etxy

hippy wrote:
Nah, it was an older guy.
You doing much riding these days?
hippy

Haven't ridden in more than a month, haven't ridden my road bike in 3
months... I will start again soon, though- I'm going in the Great Vic
Bike Ride, and should probably have some training, y'know?

I'll get there eventually. :P