Who will race bikes now?

Old November 1st 04, 06:25 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...

I've heard that the bill for insurance for USAC is going up about
$500,000 next year. There are about 30,000 USCF members and about
13,000 NORBA members. At $10 per license this would add up to $430,000
extra towards the $500,000 increase. This still leaves a gap of $70,000
to deal with. In Nor Cal this year one day licenses only brought in
about $7,800 ( and NCNCA is the largest "state" in the USCF system in
terms of licensed riders and maybe races) so the 1 day licenses isn't a
huge source of revenue. I have heard that it looks like some Depts at
USAC will face budget cuts next year since the license fee increases
will not cover the full increase in insurance.

I thought a portion of the entry fee of every single USAC sanctioned race
went back to USAC as an insurance fee?
----------------
Alex

Old November 2nd 04, 03:53 AM
packmagician

Alex:
Promoters pay $2/rider to USAC for insurance, and it's been that way
for quite a few years. I am sure that only covers a small portion of
the total insurance bill.
Randy

Old November 2nd 04, 04:04 AM
packmagician

I agree with Casey that the Federation, and for that matter many of the
newer district associations, have been getting more productive and the
people there with whom I deal as a rider, an official and a race
promoter are always interested and helpful. Things are way better than
they were ten years ago. NCNCA was viable at a lower membership fee
because they weren't responsible for national teams, drug testing, and
all of the other stuff that our USAC membership fees help to support. I
really wish the license fee was lower, because for me it's a lot of
money, but looking at the annual increases in my own health insurance,
I'm not surprised by the increased cost.

Old November 2nd 04, 10:18 PM
kaiser

It'll discourage lazy Cat 5's from merely toying around with racing.
I like the idea of letting someone in the door cheap for a few times,
but since we have no way of tracking how often they do it, the only
real alternative is to make it a bit more expensive.

I've seen several MTB racers with Cat 2-3 fitness levels coming out
every so often and then ripping up the Cat 5 fields they enter. I've
even seen groups of them in the races joking about it. No MTB race
that week? Simple: Show up with $5 and then get some easy glory
against newbies.

From:
(chris)
Date: 10/30/2004 6:10 PM Eastern

Seriously, though, $10 for 1 day licenses? I understand insurance
rates and all that, but do the other federations also see the
increases USAC offers us?

I would subsidize one days if that's what it took. They are designed to give
people who haven't raced before, or are just thinking about coming back a
chance to do it without spending serious cash for a yearly license.
IMO this is going to discourage grass roots growth.
Thanks Folks
Bill C