Three (More) Mountain Bikers Arrested for Illegally Mountain Biking in Grand Canyon National Park

Old March 13th 07, 04:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Three (More) Mountain Bikers Arrested for Illegally Mountain Biking in Grand Canyon National Park

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK
Conviction For Illegal Mountain Biking

On January 20th, three men – David Yost,, Sean Monterastelli, and
Jacob Thompson – hiked out the Bright Angeel Trail, backpacking out
their mountain bikes. The group of three cyclists told visitors that
they were on a two-year-long mountain biking trip, riding their bikes
from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, to the tip of South America, and that they
had carried their bikes across the canyon. They also told them to look
at their web page (http://www.ridingthespine.com). Several days later,
ranger Paul Austin checked out the page and discovered photos and
video of the group riding their bikes on the North Kaibab Trail. In
addition, there were photos and video of them camped on an upper
section of the trail. In their journal, they wrote about riding the
trail and their concern about being caught by rangers: "(We) began
riding down the trail…'Goat' [one of the three] managed to bomb
section after section of the trail, walking his bike only when coming
into contact with other trail hikers, and when those infuriating water
bars were too high to bunny hop…we were excited bby the prospects of a
day filled with epic downhill, we hopped on our bikes and headed down,
sliding our way down a treacherous mix of snow and loose rock. Almost
immediately I flew over a series of ledges and cracked the rear end
off my Xtracycle." On February 16th, Austin and AUSA Camille Bibles
presented a criminal complaint and affidavit before US Magistrate
Judge Mark Aspey in Flagstaff, who in turn issued a summons for the
group to appear in his court. Yost, Monterastelli and Thompson were
charged with camping without a permit, camping in an undesignated
area, use of a bicycle in a closed area, giving false information, and
conspiracy. Austin tracked the individuals through their website as
they rode to Southern Arizona and prepared to cross into Mexico. They
had posted in their blog that they were attending the "24 Hours in the
Old Pueblo," a large and popular mountain bike race north of Tucson.
Saguaro rangers Todd Austin and Heather Yates drove to the event site
on February 17th and were able to locate the trio. Austin posed as a
freelance writer interested in the group's trip, then later identified
himself as a federal law enforcement ranger and issued each his
summons to appear in court in Flagstaff. The three men retained an
attorney and subsequently reached a plea agreement to three charges.
In lieu of a $500 fine, the men agreed to donate $500 each to the
Grand Canyon Search & Rescue Fund. They also agreed to redact sections
of their website pertaining to illegal activities and were sentenced
to 48 hours in Coconino County jail. The case generated considerable
media attention.

Contact Information
Name: Bil Vandergraff, Supervisory Park Ranger, Canyon District
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 13th 07, 10:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JD

On Mar 13, 7:51 wrote:
GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK
Conviction For Illegal Mountain Biking

On January 20th, three men - David Yost,, Sean Monterastelli, and
Jacob Thompson

Correction, those were not "men", nor were they "mountain bikers".
They were three trustafarian doofi who just happened to have mountain
bikes.

JD

Old March 14th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bob Rogers[_2_]

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

day late and a dollar short....kind of like your science

Old March 14th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Mar 13, 9:51 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

snip cut and paste NPS Morning Report snip

Geez Doc do you really want ppl posting every time some user gets a
citation at GRCA?

Old March 16th 07, 12:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mamba

snip long indictment of bikers being bad

I'm glad these guys got busted. I've been on some of those trails and am
eager to see them preserved. So that makes for documented evidence of about
1/100th of one percent of mountain bikers being assholes. IMHO that's still
5-10% below the national average for the general population.

Old March 16th 07, 01:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JD

On Mar 15, 3:36 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
snip long indictment of bikers being bad

I'm glad these guys got busted. I've been on some of those trails and am
eager to see them preserved. So that makes for documented evidence of about
1/100th of one percent of mountain bikers being assholes. IMHO that's still
5-10% below the national average for the general population.

You need to come out to SoCal and see where the percentage brings
people on mountain bikes above the national average.

JD

Old March 16th 07, 03:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Wolf Leverich

On 2007-03-16, JD wrote:
On Mar 15, 3:36 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
snip long indictment of bikers being bad

I'm glad these guys got busted. I've been on some of those trails and am
eager to see them preserved. So that makes for documented evidence of about
1/100th of one percent of mountain bikers being assholes. IMHO that's still
5-10% below the national average for the general population.

You need to come out to SoCal and see where the percentage brings
people on mountain bikes above the national average.

JD

I live in SoCal. And I hike a *lot*, all over the place.

I haven't noticed any particular problems with mountain
bikers.

*Horses* are infinitely more annoying, when they get out on
wet trails. They leave ankle-traps that can persist for
in this dry climate for months. I'm pretty tolerant of
however folks use the backcountry (just so long as they don't
clearcut or leave mountains of toxic tailings (: ), but I do
wish the horsemen would stay off trails during the few days
each year when they're wet.

Where are you hiking that you're running into problems with
mountain bikers?

If you want to get away from the crowds, take a look at the
Hundred Peaks Section's climbing guides at:
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/
(Go to the peak list and then drill down to the individual
peaks.) You can prolly do 90% of the routes listed there
and never see another soul, let alone a mountain biker, after
you move away from your car.

Cheers, Wolf.

--
Dr. Brian Leverich Co-moderator, soc.genealogy.methods/GENMTD-L
Angeles Chapter LTC Admin Chair http://angeles.sierraclub.org/ltc/
Old March 16th 07, 04:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:36:32 -0700, "Mamba"
wrote:

snip long indictment of bikers being bad

I'm glad these guys got busted. I've been on some of those trails and am
eager to see them preserved. So that makes for documented evidence of about
1/100th of one percent of mountain bikers being assholes. IMHO that's still
5-10% below the national average for the general population.

My figures are closer to 100% Even IMBA has a scientific study on its
website showing that something like 83.1% of mountain bikers don't
obey the law. Then they removed it, of course! But I saved a copy:
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb76
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 18th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
GaryG

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 13, 9:51 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

snip cut and paste NPS Morning Report snip

Geez Doc do you really want ppl posting every time some user gets a
citation at GRCA?

If you were as screwed up in the head as Mike, the answer would be "yes".

Thankfully, whack jobs like Mike are few and far between...even more
thankfully, it seems unlikely he'll ever procreate.

GG