Ganging Up On Poor Tyler

Old October 24th 04, 10:29 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

Howard Kveck wrote:

Let me say again, that as long as drug use it tolerated to some

extent
in society in general, it will also be be tolerated to some extent

in
sports.

K. Gringioni.

I think that, under the societal circumstances you mention, then

perhaps
it *should* also be be tolerated to some extent in sports.

Dumbass -

Well - ya.

Why should a sport be held to a higher standard than the culture in
which it resides?

This whole drug fixation is like Reagan's War on Drugs. It didn't work
because you can't legislate people's values.

K. Gringioni.

Old October 24th 04, 01:55 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 10/23/2004 11:27 PM, in article , "Robert
Chung" wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:
IMO, the racing would be more like it was late 1980s and before. [...]
They would suffer more in the mountains and climb the mountains at
reduced speeds with fewer rider together as the cols progressed on
mountain stages. Average speeds for races would drop by 2 or 3 km
per hour.

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/tdf.png

sarcasm

So, wait! Does this mean that one could assume that the higher average
speeds of the modern Tour are due to its shorter distances, rather than to
drug use?

/sarcasm

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old October 24th 04, 01:56 PM
B. Lafferty

"Curtis L. Russell" wrote in message

And the number of sponsors would decline because of the strengthened
association with drugs.

While I agree with your comments, it does seem that there are serious
sponsorship problem presently. That may or may not be directly drug related
but there is a decline/payment problem. Quick Step's co-sponsor has not
paid since July. Domina riders haven't been paid since June. Rumors abound
that CSC is having difficulty. And that's just within the past 6 months or
so. If notheing else, it may indicate that the sport is drawing less
solvent sponsors than in desireable. Coast also comes to mind.

..

Old October 24th 04, 02:00 PM
B. Lafferty

Chung" wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:
IMO, the racing would be more like it was late 1980s and before. [...]
They would suffer more in the mountains and climb the mountains at
reduced speeds with fewer rider together as the cols progressed on
mountain stages. Average speeds for races would drop by 2 or 3 km
per hour.

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/tdf.png

sarcasm

So, wait! Does this mean that one could assume that the higher average
speeds of the modern Tour are due to its shorter distances, rather than to
drug use?

That may be a factor but is more likely a factor comparing the 1950s to the
periods from late 1960s to the late 1980s. For a significant number of years
the speeds were all fairly well grouped, regardless of distance. It is only
in the 1990s with the advent of EPO and other preparations that the speed
jumps remarkably even though the distances aren't like those of the 1950s
and 1960s.

Old October 24th 04, 03:27 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 10/24/2004 07:00 AM, in article
et, "B. Lafferty"

Chung" wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:
[...]

What about the advent of ultra-light 15-lb bicycles, better training
methods, and better diets?

How much (or little) of an effect do you think they have?

I'm not denying drug use in the peloton. I've gotten to the point where I
don't really care anymore, however ... It's just entertainment, after all.

But it's not ALL due to dope.

Old October 24th 04, 04:18 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

Let me say again, that as long as drug use it tolerated to some

extent
in society in general, it will also be be tolerated to some extent

in
sports.

K. Gringioni.

I think that, under the societal circumstances you mention, then

perhaps
it *should* also be be tolerated to some extent in sports.

Dumbass -

Well - ya.

Why should a sport be held to a higher standard than the culture in
which it resides?

Denial via hero worship.

Old October 24th 04, 05:46 PM
B. Lafferty

"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote in message

What about the advent of ultra-light 15-lb bicycles, better training
methods, and better diets?

AS to training and diet, that got better in the 1980s and you do see a
gradual rise in average speed. If you look at Lemonds book on cycling with
Kent Gordis which came out in 1988 you'll see much the same training
techniques of periodization that Friel, C.C. et al use and, in some cases,
promote as "new." Lemond got his training refined by Guimard and Cochlie
(sp?) so clearly that training infor was in the peloton and yet, speed,
while it did generally increase, did not dramatically increase over a short
period.

Machines in the 1980s were in the 17lb-18lb range. Remember, Lemond used
carbon in the Tour. Given that the average includes flatter stages where a
few pounds would not make much of a difference, I can't see that as
explaining in a significant way the dramatic increases in speed seen in the
1990s. Lucho has been quoted as saying that in the early 1990s, he knew it
was time to retire because of the drug use when he saw fat assed
non-climbers going past him on climbs like he was a club rider. Herrara
retire in 1992. One assumes they were riding similar machines.

How much (or little) of an effect do you think they have?

I'll guess 15% to 20%.

I'm not denying drug use in the peloton. I've gotten to the point where I
don't really care anymore, however ... It's just entertainment, after all.

But it's not ALL due to dope.

Not all. I agree that it has become more "just entertainment." I'd like to
see it as more of a legitimate sporting competition. Unless things change
for the better, I won't be following the 2005 season with the level of
interest I've had in the past. So it goes.

Old October 24th 04, 06:11 PM
Robert Chung

B. Lafferty wrote:
"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote

How much (or little) of an effect do you think [better bicycles,

training,
and diets] have?

I'll guess 15% to 20%.

How interesting. r(km,kph) = -.79 == r^2 = .62

--
A proud member of the reality-based community.

Old October 24th 04, 06:55 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:46:25 GMT, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:

Machines in the 1980s were in the 17lb-18lb range.

That was not typical, most top-level racing bikes were heavier..

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com