Fixed gear axle thread trouble

Old December 11th 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Fixed gear axle thread trouble

I just stripped threads of the second rear axle in my fixed gear bike.
Before I go for a third axle, I would like to know why those threads
strip and how it could be prevented.

Both axles and nuts were destroyed in the same way: I had to remove
the rear wheel for tire or gear change and when tightening the nuts
again the right side nut would skip threads. The nuts were not
especially tight before stripping and there were no visible signs of
breaking. The unusual thing about the hub is that it doesn't have
serrated locknuts or nut washers (both seem to be impossible to find
in 3/8 inch size here). The wheel does not slip in dropouts
noticeably; could this still have something to do with the problem?

Juhani
Old December 11th 05, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:05:33 +0200, Juhani Simola wrote:

Both axles and nuts were destroyed in the same way: I had to remove
the rear wheel for tire or gear change and when tightening the nuts
again the right side nut would skip threads. The nuts were not
especially tight before stripping and there were no visible signs of
breaking. The unusual thing about the hub is that it doesn't have
serrated locknuts or nut washers (both seem to be impossible to find
in 3/8 inch size here).

I'd suspect that the nuts weren't quite the right size for the axle. It's
probably worth your while to order some real track nuts with your next
axle. Order them from elsewhere if you can't find them locally.

Another option would be to replace the axle with a hollow axle and a quick
release. This is not OK for track use, but is fine on the road.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

Old December 11th 05, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Juhani Simola wrote:
I just stripped threads of the second rear axle in my fixed gear bike.
Before I go for a third axle, I would like to know why those threads
strip and how it could be prevented.

Both axles and nuts were destroyed in the same way: I had to remove
the rear wheel for tire or gear change and when tightening the nuts
again the right side nut would skip threads. The nuts were not
especially tight before stripping and there were no visible signs of
breaking. The unusual thing about the hub is that it doesn't have
serrated locknuts or nut washers (both seem to be impossible to find
in 3/8 inch size here). The wheel does not slip in dropouts
noticeably; could this still have something to do with the problem?

Juhani

sounds like you were given 10mm nuts on a 3/8" [9.5mm] axle. make sure
you have a properly matched set next time.
Old December 12th 05, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Juhani Simola wrote:

I just stripped threads of the second rear axle in my fixed gear bike.
Before I go for a third axle, I would like to know why those threads
strip and how it could be prevented.

Both axles and nuts were destroyed in the same way: I had to remove
the rear wheel for tire or gear change and when tightening the nuts
again the right side nut would skip threads. The nuts were not
especially tight before stripping and there were no visible signs of
breaking. The unusual thing about the hub is that it doesn't have
serrated locknuts or nut washers (both seem to be impossible to find
in 3/8 inch size here). The wheel does not slip in dropouts
noticeably; could this still have something to do with the problem?

You want smooth washers - serrated ones chew up the frame
ends with frequent adjustments.

It may well be that you have a Suzue hub with a 9.5mm axle
on which someone installed the now more common 10mm nuts.

You should not be able to strip a wet 9.5x1 or 10x1 thread
with merely a wrench unless something's very much awry -
like the wrong axle nuts.

When you get the THIRD set the nut should not wiggle on the
axle once fully engaged.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old December 12th 05, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A Muzi writes:

You should not be able to strip a wet 9.5x1 or 10x1 thread with merely
a wrench unless something's very much awry -
like the wrong axle nuts.

Thank you all for answers. I will double check the next set. I thought
previously that 10 mm nuts come with 1 mm thread and 9.5 mm nuts with
26 tpi thread so that they can't be mixed. It looks like 26 tpi 10 mm
nuts do exist and I had two sets of them.

Juhani

FS: 58cm Fixed Gear - Gunnar Street Dog [email protected] Marketplace 1 February 26th 05 10:23 PM
FS: 58cm Fixed Gear - Gunnar Street Dog [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 17th 05 01:42 AM
FS: 58cm Fixed Gear - Gunnar Street Dog [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 14th 05 02:17 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Fixed gear conversion questions Bruni Techniques 21 May 10th 04 07:27 AM