Presta adapters

Old October 29th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
nash

Default Presta adapters

NE one heard of adapters if you use presta tubes. When I got my new GT MTB
they said I had to use adapters. They had none so now I have schrader
again. What is the deal really. My old MTB took them but he said they can
be damaged easily.

Just your thoughs thanks.

Old October 29th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"nash" wrote in message
NE one heard of adapters if you use presta tubes. When I got my new

GT MTB
they said I had to use adapters. They had none so now I have schrader
again. What is the deal really. My old MTB took them but he said

they can
be damaged easily.

Just your thoughs thanks.

I prefer Presta valves myself but here's a link that discuses a lot of
the issues:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/presta-schrader.html

Chas.

Old October 30th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:40:01 +0000, nash wrote:

NE one heard of adapters if you use presta tubes. When I got my new GT MTB
they said I had to use adapters.

No, only if you want to fill up the tires at a gas station. Get a floor
pump; they all work fine with presta valves. I've been riding 30
years, and I still don't have an adapter.

again. What is the deal really. My old MTB took them but he said they
can be damaged easily.

They also hold air better at high pressure, and are easier to use.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
_`\(,_ | Excellence.
(_)/ (_) |
Old October 30th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:40:01 GMT, "nash"
wrote:

NE one heard of adapters if you use presta tubes. When I got my new GT MTB
they said I had to use adapters. They had none so now I have schrader
again. What is the deal really. My old MTB took them but he said they can
be damaged easily.

Just your thoughs thanks.

Some rims are so narrow that drilling them for Schrader valves leaves
a weak spot; others need such a long valve stem due to aero designs
that the only tubes made which will work with them are the long-stem
Prestas. In such cases, the Presta valve has what is needed to solve
a problem. If, however, the rim doesn't really need to be set up for
a Presta valve, then the Scrader provides a more useful result, since
it is much easier for the average rider to find a tire pump or
inflation source (be it service station compressor hose or whatever)
that is Scrader-accessible than one which works with Prestas. The
adapter that you mentioned is a common way to overcome the
lack-of-compatibility problem with Presta valves, but it has one
drawback; the nut on the end of the Presta core can't be loosened or
tightened with the adapter in place. (I think it's possible to make
an additional tool which would do this, but I haven't tried to do so
yet.) Since the most common way to store the adapter is on the valve
stem, adding air to the tire on which the adapter is stored has two
additional steps; the adapter has to be removed in order to loosen the
nut before air can be added, and then it must be removed again in
order to tighten the nut after the tire is inflated properly. With a
Schrader valve, it's strictly pump-and-go.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old October 30th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

David L. Johnson wrote:
No, only if you want to fill up the tires at a gas station. ...

I tend not to do this and warn others not to as well.
The problem with gas-station air hoses is that they get dropped on the
ground a lot and get dirty, and then they blow that dirt into the valve
seal when you use the air hose on your bicycle, and dirt in the seal
will lead to slow leaks. You might not notice that with a car tire at 30
psi, or even a balloon-tire at 35 psi, but it can become obvious with a
1.3" wide bike tire that you want to keep at 100 PSI.

They also hold air better at high pressure, ....

I was not aware that this was any problem, at least as far as bicycles
are concerned. There's heavy equipment and aircraft tires with inflation
pressures of 100 to 200+ PSI and their schrader vales seem to hold up
just fine.
~
Old October 30th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson

"nash" a écrit:

NE one heard of adapters if you use presta tubes. When I got my new
GT MTB they said I had to use adapters. They had none so now I have
schrader again. What is the deal really. My old MTB took them but he
said they can be damaged easily.

Are you talking about adapters to inflate a Presta valve with a Schrader
chuck, or adapter grommets to use a Presta valve in a Schrader-drilled rim?

James Thomson

Old October 30th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"DougC" wrote in message
David L. Johnson wrote:
No, only if you want to fill up the tires at a gas station. ...

I tend not to do this and warn others not to as well.
The problem with gas-station air hoses is that they get dropped on the
ground a lot and get dirty, and then they blow that dirt into the

valve
seal when you use the air hose on your bicycle, and dirt in the seal
will lead to slow leaks. You might not notice that with a car tire at

30
psi, or even a balloon-tire at 35 psi, but it can become obvious with

1.3" wide bike tire that you want to keep at 100 PSI.

snip

Another issue with air lines at gas stations, compressors create water
condensate plus lubricating oil from the compressor can leak into the
line. Both water and oil can get into your tires.

Chas.

Old October 30th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
nash

Are you talking about adapters to inflate a Presta valve with a Schrader
chuck, or adapter grommets to use a Presta valve in a Schrader-drilled rim?

James Thomson

Yes, that I am sure is what the LBS meant. Like I said it is a mtb and he
told me not to use presta tubes. The screw goes down to the rim on the
outside but he still said that does not cover it. I do not know why.

Old October 30th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
nash

"* * Chas" wrote in message
. ..

"DougC" wrote in message
David L. Johnson wrote:
No, only if you want to fill up the tires at a gas station. ...

I tend not to do this and warn others not to as well.
The problem with gas-station air hoses is that they get dropped on the
ground a lot and get dirty, and then they blow that dirt into the

valve
seal when you use the air hose on your bicycle, and dirt in the seal
will lead to slow leaks. You might not notice that with a car tire at

30
psi, or even a balloon-tire at 35 psi, but it can become obvious with

1.3" wide bike tire that you want to keep at 100 PSI.

snip

Another issue with air lines at gas stations, compressors create water
condensate plus lubricating oil from the compressor can leak into the
line. Both water and oil can get into your tires.

Chas.

I agree Chas and it is much smarter to carry your own repair kit and pump.
No long walk to a gas station and finding out the pump does not work anyway.
One summer every gas station in N.Surrey did not have a working pump. Gad!
topeak has a smart head now so presta and shrader are automatic, no changing
set up.
Check pressure before you leave and you will not need a gas station.

Old October 30th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:10:22 GMT, "nash"
wrote:

Are you talking about adapters to inflate a Presta valve with a Schrader
chuck, or adapter grommets to use a Presta valve in a Schrader-drilled rim?

James Thomson

Yes, that I am sure is what the LBS meant. Like I said it is a mtb and he
told me not to use presta tubes. The screw goes down to the rim on the
outside but he still said that does not cover it. I do not know why.

Dear Nash,

Your particular MTB rim has a slightly larger hole to suit the thicker
Schrader car-style valve.

The Schrader tube will work fine.

If you want to use an inner tube with a thinner Presta valve to suit a
Presta pump, you can buy a fitting from BikeToolsEtc to reduce the
size of the valve hole in your rim:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...tem_id=WB-PSS1
or http://tinyurl.com/y3v4oh

Many hand pumps now come with dual or easily reversible chucks for
both kinds of valves.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel