aluminum frames? -- not a troll

Old August 12th 03, 01:43 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default aluminum frames? -- not a troll

james- This LBS guy that I am gravitating to (by
virtue of geography and I bought my good bike there) will flat out NOT sell me
an aluminum frame. This would not be for my main ride. This is a back-up,
wet-weather, preeminently affordable yet raceable frame I am looking for.
BRBR

Find the size and buy elsewhere..Does the guy even sell aluminum framesets??

If he does and will not sell ya one, that's one thing, but if he doesn't,
that's HIS choice.

I don't care what people say, they do ride different than other materials...no
doubt.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 12th 03, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

andres- Aluminum frames are fine, and inexpensive too, BRBR

Some are and some are outrageously expensive...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 12th 03, 01:51 PM
ajames54

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:53:46 +0200, Marten Hoffmann
wrote:

schreef ...

My advice: shop elsewhere. There most certainly are very good
aluminum frames available which do not cost a fortune; several of my
friends have examples.

Second the "shop elsewhere" phrase. Everywhere in Bicycle Land you'll
find this kind of Ye Olde Schoole of Thinkinge guys who will claim they
have 33 years of experience. Yeah right: that's 3 years of experience
which date back 30 years :-(

Thirded, but I used to love those guys...they were so easy to
sell against. OTOH to give the guy credit it may be simply that
all the Aluminum frames HE sells are crap .. A Huffy is a Huffy
no matter what you make it out of....
Old August 12th 03, 03:20 PM
Boyd Speerschneider

"S. Anderson" wrote in
:

snip

IMHO, there's a lot of nonsense that goes on about alu frames,
specifically about "ride quality" and that type of stuff. There's
nothing wrong from an aluminum frame compared to any other frame. If
you could perform some type of blind test between an alu frame and other
frame materials, I doubt many would be able to tell the difference.
There are good reasons to buy other materials, but they're not related
to ride. Steel can be straightened after a crash, re-brazed if a
dropout breaks etc. But you can get a very good alu frame very cheap
that will kick an equivalent steel frame's arse in weight and stiffness.
I've always liked steel (I'm old-school..) because of the ease of
repair, but I bought an alu MTB frame to see how it is and frankly it's
quite fine in all ways compared to steel. I think composites have the
potential to offer a better ride than more conventional materials
because of the construction methods. However, I'm not wild about most
current composite frame's durability.

My $0.02CDN worth,

Scott..

While this is true, I think it should be noted that most alluminum frames
(at least alluminum road frames) come with a standardized replaceable rear
derailleur hanger. In the even of a right side crash, if the hanger is
bent over, just replace it for $10.

- Boyd S.
Old August 12th 03, 06:07 PM
andres muro

You are right, and probably the most expensive ones are the most
unreliable. The cheap, heavy ones, made in aisa are reliable. They are
not really that heavy either. They are not spectacular in any way.
They are made by the thousands, in a big factory and in only three or
four sizes. Not much in terms of craftmaship, detail and uniqueness.
However, they'll make a reliable inexpensive bike that can be
raceworthy.

Andres

Old August 12th 03, 06:39 PM
Sorni

"Lewis Campbell" wrote in message
om...

These people who call Cannondale 'crack-n-fail' and all the other
silly, nasty, things they say, what do these people think about when
they are flying on an airplane?????

Um, "where are my dry-roasted nuts?" "Wonder if she's single." "Man, this
bathroom stinks!"

Bill "and so on" S.

Old August 12th 03, 09:20 PM
Jim Flom

Find the size and buy elsewhere..Does the guy even sell aluminum
framesets??If he does and will not sell ya one, that's one thing, but if he
doesn't,that's HIS choice.I don't care what people say, they do ride
different than other materials...nodoubt.Peter Chisholm Vecchio's

I thought you were dropping aol. This is the same guy who hates Campy.
Apparently he doesn't sell aluminum, period. He's got every kind of high end
bike -- well, no Cannondales or Treks and so forth -- but even though he sells
Serotta, apparently he won't sell an alu Serotta (if they still make one).

Jim

Old August 13th 03, 03:45 AM
S. Anderson

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

I think I'm very glad that:

(1) passenger planes cost millions of dollars and thus the airline has
a vested interest in superb maintenance; and

(2) most countries have stringent safety inspection standards for
airplances.

As far as Crack'n'fail frames go, well, they earned their reputation
years ago, and it's hard to live that sort of thing down. Aluminum
frames aren't necessarily bad frames, but too many bike design
decisions are made in the marketing department, not the engineering
department.

As an aside, I think it's rather odd that we spend so much time and money
researching plane accidents. The number of people dying in plane crashes is
so incredibly small. And yet we spend billions on maintenance,
investigations etc. Meanwhile, SUV's are rolling over after hitting a pop
can killing thousands every year and there's been little legislation about
these incidents. I guess it's the horror factor..

Cheers,

Scott..