Cyclo Sturmey Adapters

Old April 3rd 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_87_]

Default Cyclo Sturmey Adapters

Had come accross the Cyclo Adapters that place a 3 or 2 sprocket cluster
on the Sturmey 3 speeds. How did they both lock onto the hub yet onto
each other?
Seems if this were merely cogs bolted together, there would be no way
of locking the unit or inner sprocket to the hub due to the adjacent
sprocket to the being in the way.

Did these adapters work on other internal gear hubs?

I have a dual drive, but it might be fun to customize other hubs.

--
meb

Old April 3rd 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

meb wrote:
Had come accross the Cyclo Adapters that place a 3 or 2 sprocket cluster
on the Sturmey 3 speeds. How did they both lock onto the hub yet onto
each other?
Seems if this were merely cogs bolted together, there would be no way
of locking the unit or inner sprocket to the hub due to the adjacent
sprocket to the being in the way.

Did these adapters work on other internal gear hubs?

I have a dual drive, but it might be fun to customize other hubs.

When I find a way to put a 10-speed cassette on a Rohloff hub and four
chainrings on a Schlumpf bottom bracket, I will be happy! And of course,
I will tape a print out of a spreadsheet with all 1120 ratios to my
handlebars.

Old April 3rd 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan Burkhart[_88_]

Tom Sherman Wrote:
meb wrote:
Had come accross the Cyclo Adapters that place a 3 or 2 sprocket

cluster
on the Sturmey 3 speeds. How did they both lock onto the hub yet

onto
each other?
Seems if this were merely cogs bolted together, there would be no

way
of locking the unit or inner sprocket to the hub due to the adjacent
sprocket to the being in the way.

Did these adapters work on other internal gear hubs?

I have a dual drive, but it might be fun to customize other hubs.

When I find a way to put a 10-speed cassette on a Rohloff hub and four
chainrings on a Schlumpf bottom bracket, I will be happy! And of
course,
I will tape a print out of a spreadsheet with all 1120 ratios to my
handlebars.

Who needs adaptors? I'm driving a Rohloff through a 5 speed mid drive
for 70 ratios. It replaces a 105 speed derailleur system.
http://tinypic.com/fullsize.php?pic=...&capwidth=true
http://tinypic.com/fullsize.php?pic=...&capwidth=true
All but the largest drive gear on the mid drive are unuseable,however,
if I am to abide by Rohloff's admonition to keep the input ratio above
2.4 to one.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca

--
Dan Burkhart

Old April 3rd 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:22:50 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:

meb wrote:
Had come accross the Cyclo Adapters that place a 3 or 2 sprocket cluster
on the Sturmey 3 speeds. How did they both lock onto the hub yet onto
each other?
Seems if this were merely cogs bolted together, there would be no way
of locking the unit or inner sprocket to the hub due to the adjacent
sprocket to the being in the way.

Did these adapters work on other internal gear hubs?

I have a dual drive, but it might be fun to customize other hubs.

When I find a way to put a 10-speed cassette on a Rohloff hub and four
chainrings on a Schlumpf bottom bracket, I will be happy! And of course,
I will tape a print out of a spreadsheet with all 1120 ratios to my
handlebars.

Ah the bike-dork spirit of Sheldon lives on.

Old April 4th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Dan Burkhart
wrote:

Tom Sherman Wrote:
meb wrote:
[...]

What are the cog counts on the mid drive?
A 15-16 is ideal for splitting the Rohloff 13.5% jumps.

I do not see the the gear changing mechanism for the
mid drive.

--
Michael Press
Old April 4th 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On Apr 3, 3:50*am, meb
wrote:
Had come accross the Cyclo Adapters that place a 3 or 2 sprocket cluster
on the Sturmey 3 speeds. *How did they both lock onto the hub yet onto
each other?
Seems if this were merely cogs bolted together, there would be no way
of locking the unit or inner sprocket to the hub due to the adjacent
sprocket to the being in the way.

Did these adapters work on other internal gear hubs?

I have a dual drive, but it might be fun to customize other hubs.

--
meb

Geez, some people just can't answer in a straightforward fashion...

Here's a nice pictu
http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/detail.php?id=316
The cogs were held on the standard S-A snap ring. Part of the trick to
the conversion was the extra meat on the splines of the Cyclo
conversion. The standard S-A sprockets (HSL715 through HSL720) were
dished and there were a couple spacers (HMW127) (see
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturm...-parts.html#16 ) to boot,
which allowed quite a bit of adjustment in chainline. It also made
lots of room for the Cyclo 2- and 3-speed conversions.

I once made a 6-speed with a S-A hub, two sprockets, and a Shimano DX
two-speed BMX derailleur. Sheer nuttiness, but it worked.

If you have a Sachs/SRAM DualDrive hub, these won't work. However,
these are easier to customize since they accept standard Shimano-
splined cassettes (mostly).

If you still want to explore gearhead insanity, I can recall reading
stories of early mountain bikers using JB-Weld and pins to attach wide-
range freewheels (this was almost pre-cassette) to the Sturmey-Archer
driver. It took a little doing to get the alignment right, but it
worked! At least... until the Sturmey hub exploded on the climb.

Jeff
Old April 5th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
JeffWills wrote:

On Apr 3, 3:50*am, meb
wrote:
[...]

That's funny.
Gotta love JB-Weld.
Just two of the fixes in our shack:
Sliding shower door corner joints exploded. Running
perfectly ten years after the JB-Weld experience.

Six inch circular two sided mirror in rotating plastic
gimbal. Dropped; plastic mount breaks. Looking good
and working perfectly after the JB-Weld experience.

--
Michael Press
Old April 5th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_88_]

JeffWills Wrote:
On Apr 3, 3:50*am, meb
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the links and info.

Any idea on how much torque the Sturmey hubs could handle before they
exploded?

--
meb

Old April 5th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_89_]

Michael Press Wrote:
In article
,
JeffWills wrote:

On Apr 3, 3:50*am, meb
wrote:
[...]

Any idea on the JB Weld tensile strength?

--
meb

Presta adapters nash Techniques 16 October 31st 06 04:09 PM
WTB: Cyclo-Zen or Cyclo-Core DVDs David Marketplace 0 March 25th 06 07:13 PM
Rail Adapters? pdc Unicycling 4 August 8th 05 11:37 AM
Cyclo Core/Cyclo Zen DVD Programs Stan Lipnowski Techniques 1 June 18th 05 04:50 AM
Anyone used 1 1/8 to 1" headset adapters? res09c5t Marketplace 4 April 30th 04 03:39 AM