A new invention to gain a lomger power stroke. (Krankups)

Old June 1st 16, 10:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default A new invention to gain a lomger power stroke. (Krankups)

On 5/31/2016 7:43 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Being an engineer I researched power meters. What I found surprised me.
Power meters do not make it easer to pedal, they encourage you to
pedal harder and faster, period.

Well, yes... that's the general idea behind a trainer and associated
instrumentation. You can adjust your efforts to maximize the
delivered power as in "saving your strength".

His diatribe on power meters was very strange. Power meters are a
measurement devices, but he changes the subject and proclaims that they
don't make it easier to pedal. Duh.

If the device is designed to even out the power throughout the rotation
of the cranks, like Biopace oval chainrings were designed to do, then it
might have some small value.

You could also measure the relative power output using a set of rollers
with a dynamo wheel on the front. The difficult part is designing a
machine that pedals the bike with the same power input on the test runs.

Old June 1st 16, 11:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 06-01-2016 04:43, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
The video shows how the device is installed and nothing more. My
favored method of determining if an idea or product is bogus is by the
lack of technical details and numbers. If you're wondering why riders

Another way is when they do a poor job of disguising a Usenet
advertisement as a question.

--
Wes Groleau
Old June 1st 16, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 06-01-2016 11:39, sms wrote:
You could also measure the relative power output using a set of rollers
with a dynamo wheel on the front. The difficult part is designing a
machine that pedals the bike with the same power input on the test runs.

Shouldn't be difficult for someone who claims to be an engineer.

--
Wes Groleau
Old June 1st 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 02:39:53 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/31/2016 7:43 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Being an engineer I researched power meters. What I found surprised me.
Power meters do not make it easer to pedal, they encourage you to
pedal harder and faster, period.

Well, yes... that's the general idea behind a trainer and associated
instrumentation. You can adjust your efforts to maximize the
delivered power as in "saving your strength".

His diatribe on power meters was very strange. Power meters are a
measurement devices, but he changes the subject and proclaims that they
don't make it easier to pedal. Duh.

Yep. The speedometer on my car dashboard makes me want to drive
faster. The tachometer tempts me to see how close to red line I can
rev the engine. The gas gauge allows me to drive more miles before I
run out of gas. My GPS map display allows me to drive without looking
at the road. Obviously, dials, gauges, and map displays are dangerous
and should be banned from anything that moves.

If the device is designed to even out the power throughout the rotation
of the cranks, like Biopace oval chainrings were designed to do, then it
might have some small value.

I once owned a bicycle with oval chainrings:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/Specialized-StumpJumper.html
The frame was much too large for me, so I never was able to ride it. I
was going to scrap it for parts and transplant the components to a
smaller frame, when a 6ft 4(?)in friend decided that it would be
perfect for him. That was about 8 years ago. He's still riding it
around Smog Angeles and claims that he likes the oval rings. However,
since he hasn't ridden any other bicycle, he can't offer a comparison.
Oh well.

You could also measure the relative power output using a set of rollers
with a dynamo wheel on the front. The difficult part is designing a
machine that pedals the bike with the same power input on the test runs.

No problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5wIdlIym_I (version 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3vfSQePcs (version 1)

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 1st 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I once owned a bicycle with oval chainrings:

WE EXPECTED this turn of events.....

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/Specialized-StumpJumper.html

The frame was much too large for me, so I never was able to ride it. I
was going to scrap it for parts and transplant the components to a
smaller frame, when a 6ft 4(?)in friend decided that it would be
perfect for him. That was about 8 years ago. He's still riding it
around Smog Angeles and claims that he likes the oval rings. However,
since he hasn't ridden any other bicycle, he can't offer a comparison.

you sold a stumpjumper with oval rings ? aaaiiiieieiee ! how crass.

question is...are the oval rings different from round rings..in the legs ?

is the motion smoother and more natural ie acceptable...to the legs

or is motion less smooth...for the legs.

circular CR go push down right pull up left push dpwn left pullup right so the ovals do what in this language ?

Old June 1st 16, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 09:49:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

you sold a stumpjumper with oval rings ? aaaiiiieieiee ! how crass.

No. It was a "gift" in trade for about 2 hrs of worthless help
cleaning up the mess in my office.

question is...are the oval rings different from round rings..in the legs ?

Legs? Methinks you mean arms. The spider arms are the same length as
on a circular chainwheel. However, the gear ring is quite different.
See examples at:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=elliptical+bicycle+chainwheel
Notice the radical ellipses are single gear while the less radical
(like on my former Stumpbumper) will work with a front derailleur.

is the motion smoother and more natural ie acceptable...to the legs
or is motion less smooth...for the legs.

I have no idea. As I mumbled, I couldn't ride it because the frame
size was far too large for my short legs.

circular CR go push down right pull up left push dpwn left pullup
right so the ovals do what in this language ?

Ummm... they go around? This might help:
http://www.noncircularchainring.be
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1980-00372012000400011

Old June 1st 16, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/1/2016 10:26 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

No problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5wIdlIym_I (version 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3vfSQePcs (version 1)

Very cool!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 1st 16, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Default A new invention to gain a longer power stroke. (Krankups)

Your discussion, above, about power meters, and your assertion that
you are an engineer is a bit confusing as the calculation of power is
basic physics and usually defined as Power = Work / time, or maybe as
pressure /rpm?

I agree with Power = work/time, but since work = force * distance, instead
of bringing in pressure I would say:

Power = force * speed or

Power = torque * angular speed

Old June 2nd 16, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

TODAYS CLOUD....now after calling lighting, a downpour.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...WNx28yMsXxeXmk

a very good day

early ride to the beach park met by our beach flock with a whistle conversation after a greeting flyby

finished painting 3 rims then soldering an unsoldered temp connection discovered 2+1 shorts were interrupting the electric window n lock controls..eyehehahahah. cool. ahhhhhh.

the 8100 Weller blew another 7135 tip. That tip dissolving behind the head on the top wire lasted 7-8 connections maybe 3.5 minutes as I religiously observed a half time out as per the instructions on ths piece of ****.

WTH is this gun for ?

The home birdy came up with 2 new communication whistles.

Old June 2nd 16, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/1/2016 6:16 PM, wrote:

TODAYS CLOUD....now after calling lighting, a downpour.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...WNx28yMsXxeXmk

a very good day

early ride to the beach park met by our beach flock with a whistle conversation after a greeting flyby

finished painting 3 rims then soldering an unsoldered temp connection discovered 2+1 shorts were interrupting the electric window n lock controls..eyehehahahah. cool. ahhhhhh.

the 8100 Weller blew another 7135 tip. That tip dissolving behind the head on the top wire lasted 7-8 connections maybe 3.5 minutes as I religiously observed a half time out as per the instructions on ths piece of ****.

WTH is this gun for ?

The home birdy came up with 2 new communication whistles.

For freshly painted rims, do you recommend Kool Stop or the
original Campagnolo brake pads?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Shock stroke David Deitch Techniques 0 December 20th 05 12:12 AM
A stroke of luck Dave B UK 4 September 23rd 05 06:30 PM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Racing 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Marketplace 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Australia 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM