Screws for disc brake caliper mounting?

Old November 10th 17, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Screws for disc brake caliper mounting?

Missing a couple of screws for mounting adapters and calipers. The frame
of the bike is aluminum.

Do these have to be from some sort of space-age special material? The
ones that came with the adapters (unfortunately only one pair each) are
magnetic, so it's steel.

Most of my M6 screws are Cadmium plated steel like they are used on
aircraft. Will that do?

I guess brass isn't sturdy enough. Anything else is locally unobtanium
in metric size.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 10th 17, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 15:19:50 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Missing a couple of screws for mounting adapters and calipers. The frame
of the bike is aluminum.

Do these have to be from some sort of space-age special material? The
ones that came with the adapters (unfortunately only one pair each) are
magnetic, so it's steel.

Most of my M6 screws are Cadmium plated steel like they are used on
aircraft. Will that do?

I guess brass isn't sturdy enough. Anything else is locally unobtanium
in metric size.

Sure, I use stainless screws on my bikes. Mostly because there is a
shop nearby that stocks both metric and imperial sizes from ~1mm up to
about 1/2" in various lengths.

Common stainless screws are generally not as strong as common steel so
perhaps steel might be a better choice for brake attachment. I think
I'd just use the steel bolts with a bit of anti-seize which would
insulate them from the aluminum and prevent galvanic corrosion (which
I think that you are worrying about).
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 10th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 3:19:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
Missing a couple of screws for mounting adapters and calipers. The frame
of the bike is aluminum.

Do these have to be from some sort of space-age special material? The
ones that came with the adapters (unfortunately only one pair each) are
magnetic, so it's steel.

Most of my M6 screws are Cadmium plated steel like they are used on
aircraft. Will that do?

I guess brass isn't sturdy enough. Anything else is locally unobtanium
in metric size.

For my flat mount brackets, I used standard SS cap screws purchased at the local hardware store. Those happen to be 5M, IIRC. The 6M caliper mounting hardware came with the brakes, and it looks like plated steel. No special alloys required. I don't think galvanic corrosion is a big deal with brake mounting hardware unless your roads are salted and you ride in snow.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 10th 17, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Missing a couple of screws for mounting adapters and calipers. The frame
of the bike is aluminum.

Do these have to be from some sort of space-age special material? The
ones that came with the adapters (unfortunately only one pair each) are
magnetic, so it's steel.

Most of my M6 screws are Cadmium plated steel like they are used on
aircraft. Will that do?

I guess brass isn't sturdy enough. Anything else is locally unobtanium
in metric size.

Sure, I use stainless screws on my bikes. Mostly because there is a
shop nearby that stocks both metric and imperial sizes from ~1mm up to
about 1/2" in various lengths.

Out here in the boonies the hardware store does not carry metric in
stainless, only non-metric.

Common stainless screws are generally not as strong as common steel so
perhaps steel might be a better choice for brake attachment. I think
I'd just use the steel bolts with a bit of anti-seize which would
insulate them from the aluminum and prevent galvanic corrosion (which
I think that you are worrying about).

I use LiquiMoly mounting paste. It doesn't help locking but prevents
seizing and allows quick adjustments or, as has happened, disconnecting
them after a brake failure (had to pussyfoot it home).

Old November 10th 17, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-10 07:13, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I do ride in snow but they don't use salt around here. I'll just use the
Cd-plated steel screws then since that's also used on aircraft.

Old November 11th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Actually anything that tends to insulate the screw from the base metal
will limit or prevent galvanic corrosion - I even used the silicon
goop that is used to stop leaks around window frames and two years
later found no corrosion :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 11th 17, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-09 17:33, John B. wrote:

[...]

Common stainless screws are generally not as strong as common steel so
perhaps steel might be a better choice for brake attachment. I think
I'd just use the steel bolts with a bit of anti-seize which would
insulate them from the aluminum and prevent galvanic corrosion (which
I think that you are worrying about).

I use LiquiMoly mounting paste. It doesn't help locking but prevents
seizing and allows quick adjustments or, as has happened, disconnecting
them after a brake failure (had to pussyfoot it home).

Actually anything that tends to insulate the screw from the base metal
will limit or prevent galvanic corrosion - I even used the silicon
goop that is used to stop leaks around window frames and two years
later found no corrosion :-)

I found that the screws through the 7" extender that was factory mounted
were threaded all the way. So I cut those to length and mounted it all.
The bigger rotors feel great, especially on the rear where I went two
sizes up.

Old November 12th 17, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2017-11-09 17:33, John B. wrote:

[...]

[...]

Most of the commonly sold smaller sized fasteners are "all thread" as
I suppose that makes them almost universally "all fit" :-) I believe
that some sizes, perhaps 6mm or larger, are also available with an
unthreaded shank.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 12th 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-09 17:33, John B. wrote:

[...]

[...]

Typically the top part is unthreaded, maybe because that saves half a
penny in production:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-F18...Brake-Adaptor/

This is the kind of adaptor that was on there until Friday, just not
from Shimano.