Some lives matter. Some don't

Old January 27th 18, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Some lives matter. Some don't

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 1:37:27 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/27/2018 1:09 AM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 22:27:31 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/26/2018 7:24 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:01:23 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/26/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

Yes, horrific.

And yet we have people here saying a cyclist should always stay far
right, that controlling a lane is dangerous.

If she had been in front of the trucker, he'd have seen her and slowed.

But if a cyclist can't bring himself/herself to do that, at least NEVER
put yourself to the right of a vehicle that might turn right. Especially
a large vehicle like a truck or bus.

Right hooks are deadly. (Left hooks in drive-on-left countries.)

A few years ago there was a huge outrage about cyclist deaths in London
(even though, as usual, far more pedestrians died). It came out that
most of those deaths were left hooks, usually women, who pulled up along
big lorries. Some said the women were too "polite" to avoid the curb and
get in the traffic lane.

I am a bit puzzled with these right/left hooked accidents. Don't
people turn their heads to look and see what is creeping up beside
them? I certainly do - every driveway turning onto "my street"; every
corner, every junction, I look to see what is coming. Shoot, I even
look back over my shoulder to see what is coming up behind me.

Don't other people?

See if you can get a chance to sit in a big truck's cab. The blind spots
are huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9E1_1M-qhU

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...-about-trucks/

I'm not a truck driver but I did maintain them up to about 35 ton dump
trucks so I'm fairly aware of the view from the cab.

But the fact that a vehicle has blind spots should, to a knowledgeable
cyclist, cause the cyclist to treat them with even more caution than a
more conventional vehicle.

In fact one might even say that a cyclist who isn't aware of the
limited vision from the cab of many large motor vehicles, I include
buses and most trucks, is probably lacking the necessary skills to
ride on the public highways.

Well, I'm all in favor of education.

But education doesn't get much attention from "bicycling advocates" in
the U.S. These days they're all about "protected cycle tracks." In other
words, if you were in a "protected cycle track" just before you rode
into that intersection, the right turning truck would not have run you over.

--
- Frank Krygowski

When I ride or drive I do so with the assumption that drivers are trying to hit me.

Andy
Old January 28th 18, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps the solution is some form of limited access bikeway. No
walkers, no dogs, just bicycles all traveling in the same direction at
the same speed. I could even envision one where tunnels existed under
all intersections where larger vehicles crossed the bikeway

Which, humans being human, probably wouldn't totally prevent bicycle
accidents it would limit them.

On the other hand
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/pe...facts/bicycles
states that in the U.S. each year about 2 percent of motor vehicle
crash deaths are bicyclists while 25% of those who die in a road
accident in the Netherlands are cyclists.
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...aths-an-issue/

Given that Holland has a bicycle pathway of about 35,000 Km. equal to
about a quarter of the country's entire 140,000 km road network
perhaps bikeways aren't the solution.

As an aside, as there are some 4.09 million miles of roads ( about
6,580,810 Km.) in the U.S. To equal Holland's bike ways some 1 million
miles of new bike ways would need to be built in the U.S.

Holland has a law, I believe, that in the event of an auto - bicycle
collision the auto's insurance pays, which likely means that every
time you hit a bicycle your insurance premium goes up. Perhaps that is
the answer.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 28th 18, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 19:07:44 -0600, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/26/2018 6:24 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:01:23 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 1/26/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

Yes, horrific.

The ignoramus police, too.

[...]

A few close calls during adolescence can help the reasonably intelligent
remember that cycling, even when physically mastered, remains a task first,
and that the recreational time slices are to be earned.

Don't other people?

Yes, we (and many of our dearly departed) do (did).

It's still amazing how many do not. And that most of them get by without
becoming maimed.

Review the video. She actually stopped her bike as he
started the turn but short of martial-arts level acrobatics
she was trapped.

Before whatever deceleration, she was coasting undecidedly, with the left
pedal up indicating she was not even considering an eventual necessity to
execute an emergency right bail, possibly into the curb. When in reality,
in view of the truck's geometry and tractrix curves also known in Switzerland,
https://vif.lu.ch/down_load/fachordner/fachordner_strassen/schleppkurven
time was running out to take initial, decisive action on her front disk brake.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/09/21/2B3B643400000578-0-image-a-26_1439150994376.jpg

I watched the video several times and to be honest I don't see any
evidence of an attempt to stop. What I do see is a truck that appears
to be traveling slower then a bicycle making a right turn and being
run into by the bicycle. The sequence from 1:08 - 1:24 quite clearly
shows the bicycle in the act of overtaking the truck on the curb side
and when the truck turns the bicycle appears to run directly into the
truck.

After the homicide, the municipality had to do SOMETHING of course, again.
So they sent the painters to embellish the segregationist infrastructure,
who cares if it also gets more slippery!?
http://www.viszerale.insel.ch/typo3temp/pics/b6f7d30d7b.jpg
Now it's GREEN. And it's PROTECTED. And a ghostbike stops accidents. Yippie!
Old January 28th 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

The "same speed" part is vexing -- speaking as someone who rides in a city with a high bike mode share and dopey facilities. I hate conga lines. I preferred it when I was just dodging cars, and it was me and maybe five other guys on bikes. https://bikeportland.org/2016/05/04/...o-essay-182506

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 28th 18, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, you would have hated the historic example of John's scheme: a
bicycle monorail system. They actually built it in New Jersey in the 1890s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchk...cycle_Railroad

Supposedly a big reason for the failure was the unpleasantness of being
stuck behind the slowest rider. Given the psychology of modern
motorists, I suppose that frustration was present even if one's top
speed was just 1 mph more than the guy in front.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 28th 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Do you suppose that the auto's have the same attitude :-) Gee, that
damned fool bicycle might hit me?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 28th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I threw that in as I've, so often, read cyclists complaining about
multi speed people and things invading "their" MUP.

Personally I ride in groups of one as it eliminates the necessity of
paying attention to all the problems of riding in a peloton and just
roll along smelling the roses and watching the birds :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 28th 18, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 02:04:27 +0100, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 19:07:44 -0600, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/26/2018 6:24 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:01:23 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 1/26/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

Yes, horrific.

The ignoramus police, too.

Certainly Sir. The logical answer is simply to eliminate the police
force. Think of the tax savings, why the New York police force costs
the tax payer in the neighborhood of $130,769 annually
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/david...b_7659496.html

Think of how happy "Mr. Average Man" will be without the ignoramus
police and the horrendous tax bill.

Old January 28th 18, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Lots of commentary and still frames at
http://www.massbike.org/anita_kurmann_video_narrative .

Look at the picture labeled 7:03:08 AM, which shows the truck driver
swinging into the lane to his left to make a right turn, with the
cyclist almost beside his passenger window. In the next frame she has
realized what's happening, and avoids the front wheels, but cannot avoid
the rear.

I don't know whether the massbike claim of vehicular homicide should be
supportable or not, but it amazes me that Matthew Levari, the truck
driver, was not prosecuted for leaving the scene.

Old January 28th 18, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 19:07:44 -0600, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/26/2018 6:24 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:01:23 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 1/26/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

Yes, horrific.

The ignoramus police, too.

Certainly Sir. The logical answer is simply to eliminate the police
force. Think of the tax savings, why the New York police force costs
the tax payer in the neighborhood of $130,769 annually
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/david...b_7659496.html

Think of how happy "Mr. Average Man" will be without the ignoramus
police and the horrendous tax bill.

I strongly support police when they're correct and competent.

I can't support a system that provides no serious punishment when a
motorist takes another's life.

At a bare minimum, the trucker should never again operate a motor
vehicle on a public road.

--
- Frank Krygowski

how much does frame matter? dan[_3_] Racing 2 September 2nd 12 05:55 PM
What's the matter with her? Danny Colyer UK 7 May 18th 07 06:19 PM
does weight matter in uni? onelesscar Unicycling 0 November 26th 06 10:15 PM
Does the truth matter? crit PRO Racing 8 August 24th 05 05:45 PM
Why Doping does Matter Bill C Racing 7 August 18th 05 12:06 AM