Underwear under tights?

Old October 30th 04, 05:19 AM
Chris C

Default Underwear under tights?

I bought some tights w/out padding . Is underwear usually worn underneath (I
know not to wear cotton) these? What about if they have padding? Where can I
get a good deal on underwear? Thanks

Old October 30th 04, 05:44 AM
Rich Clark

"Chris C" wrote in message
I bought some tights w/out padding . Is underwear usually worn underneath
(I
know not to wear cotton) these? What about if they have padding? Where can
get a good deal on underwear? Thanks

If you wear padded anything, the pad goes next to the skin.

Usually under plain tights you'd wear bike shorts.

Wear underwear only under street clothes.

RichC

Old October 30th 04, 06:10 AM
Badger_South

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:44:46 -0400, "Rich Clark"
wrote:

"Chris C" wrote in message
I bought some tights w/out padding . Is underwear usually worn underneath
(I
know not to wear cotton) these? What about if they have padding? Where can
get a good deal on underwear? Thanks

If you wear padded anything, the pad goes next to the skin.

Usually under plain tights you'd wear bike shorts.

Wear underwear only under street clothes.

RichC

Just to clarify. When you wear bike shorts with real chamois, you usually
apply a substance called 'chamois cream' to this material, and then you put
on the bike shorts. It's completely obvious that you don't wear underwear
in this case, b/c you want contact with the cream and the chamois - just
like a join in a machine where you're matching dissimilar materials and
forming a compatible joint.

Here the 'join' is between your sit bones and the receiving platform, or
the saddle, and is mediated by a fleshy posterior on the chamois, all over
a lycra and leather sandwich. (Yummy!) ;-D

The friction of moving around on the saddle is then greatly reduced by the
cream, and saddle sores are less likely to prosper. You've lubed the join
just like you would the bearings in your BB.

If you're not riding long distances, a 'fake chamois' bike short may be of
use to you in a similar way, but minus the advanced saddle-sore protection.
Many recreational riders wear 'fake chamois' and don't even realize that
Lance slathers his tushie with gobs of this "stuff" like cold cream, and
then puts on the bike shorts - every morning. You can imagine the uh,
getting-used-to this 'cold ointment on a furry pad' takes. In the
Chronicles, you see him putting it on, and gasping humorously. Imagine
doing that every morning at 6 am.

In that case of only wearing shorts with 'fake chamois', it probably
doesn't matter if you're wearing underwear or not. That pad is just for
padding and performs little if any of the original friction reducing
function. Riding most distances under 25 miles will not give you saddle
sores unless you forget basic hygiene.

Some riders may put vaseline on their posterior, sparingly and still wear
the fake chamois from what I understand. ymmv

HTH,

-B
Note: I'm just a newbie, so some of the above may be totally wrong. For the
"real stuff", ask one of the regulars who does this...

Old October 30th 04, 06:29 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Chris C wrote:
I bought some tights w/out padding . Is underwear usually worn
underneath (I know not to wear cotton) these? What about if they have
padding? Where can I get a good deal on underwear? Thanks

Most people just wear regular bike shorts underneath the tights. However,
bike shops DO sell padded "liners" (like tight boxer briefs) that would also
work; pads are pretty thin, though.

Bill "shop around" S.

Old October 30th 04, 12:52 PM
Arthur Harris

"Badger_South" wrote:

In that case of only wearing shorts with 'fake chamois', it probably
doesn't matter if you're wearing underwear or not. That pad is just for
padding and performs little if any of the original friction reducing
function. Riding most distances under 25 miles will not give you saddle
sores unless you forget basic hygiene.

Disagree. You shouldn't wear underwear when wearing any padded shorts.

And having used both traditional chamois and what you call "fake," I'll take
the "fake" stuff any day. After a few washings the genuine chamois would dry
out, become stiff, and crack. The imitation chamois is more comfortable and
lasts much longer. It is far superior, just as modern jersey fabrics are
superior to wool.

As to the OPs question about tights, you should wear padded cycling shorts
(and nothing else) under them.

Art Harris

Old October 30th 04, 01:55 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:52:19 GMT, "Arthur Harris" wrote:

"Badger_South" wrote:

In that case of only wearing shorts with 'fake chamois', it probably
doesn't matter if you're wearing underwear or not. That pad is just for
padding and performs little if any of the original friction reducing
function. Riding most distances under 25 miles will not give you saddle
sores unless you forget basic hygiene.

Disagree. You shouldn't wear underwear when wearing any padded shorts.

Not really anything to disagree with, Art, I bow to your greater
experience. Note I said 'probably doesn't matter', but then I thought,
well, you don't want a problem with the seams in the underwear. But do you
think that many casual to intermediate female cyclists wear bike shorts and
nothing else? Guys, no problem. I just can't picture it, though some girls
don't like underwear at all I understand.

And having used both traditional chamois and what you call "fake," I'll take
the "fake" stuff any day. After a few washings the genuine chamois would dry
out, become stiff, and crack. The imitation chamois is more comfortable and
lasts much longer. It is far superior, just as modern jersey fabrics are
superior to wool.

Hmm, so you're saying you use chamois cream on the imitation chamois? Now
there are some shorts where the padding doesn't even look like chamois,
it's white and has gel in it. I've got another pair with a brown imitation
chamois, and I use some desitin, or some vaseline some times, but I
normally don't ride long enough yet to get saddle sores.

As to the OPs question about tights, you should wear padded cycling shorts
(and nothing else) under them.

Some ppl say tights with padding and cycling shorts, unpadded over them,
iirc. (j/k)

And just don't fall down 20 miles from home and tear your tights and/or
shorts. You'll be riding home with lots of, uh ventilation. ;-D

Thanks, Art.

-B

Old October 30th 04, 02:30 PM
rayb

Chris C wrote:

I bought some tights w/out padding . Is underwear usually worn underneath (I
know not to wear cotton) these? What about if they have padding? Where can I
get a good deal on underwear? Thanks

I wear cycling shorts under them to gain the benifit of the pading of
the cycling shorts. It is there to conform to your body to keep
evrything comfortable and sadle sore free
RAy
Old October 30th 04, 02:36 PM
Maggie

"Rich Clark" wrote in message ...
Wear underwear only under street clothes.

RichC

Why? Is underwear mandatory?
Old October 30th 04, 03:07 PM
Arthur Harris

"Badger_South" wrote:
Hmm, so you're saying you use chamois cream on the imitation chamois? Now
there are some shorts where the padding doesn't even look like chamois,
it's white and has gel in it. I've got another pair with a brown imitation
chamois, and I use some desitin, or some vaseline some times, but I
normally don't ride long enough yet to get saddle sores.

The chamois cream of old was mainly to keep the "real" chamois from drying
out.

Some folks apply various ointments to their posterior with either type of
chamois to avoid irritation. I use a synthetic chamois without any creames
or ointments, and haven't had any problems even on centuries. Perhaps TdF
riders doing 100 miles a day for three weeks need the special ointments.

As to the OPs question about tights, you should wear padded cycling shorts
(and nothing else) under them.

Some ppl say tights with padding and cycling shorts, unpadded over them,
iirc. (j/k)

The nice thing about unpadded tights over padded shorts is that if the
weather warms up, you can simply remore the tights.

Art Harris

Old October 30th 04, 03:23 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:07:21 GMT, "Arthur Harris" wrote:

"Badger_South" wrote:
Hmm, so you're saying you use chamois cream on the imitation chamois? Now
there are some shorts where the padding doesn't even look like chamois,
it's white and has gel in it. I've got another pair with a brown imitation
chamois, and I use some desitin, or some vaseline some times, but I
normally don't ride long enough yet to get saddle sores.

The chamois cream of old was mainly to keep the "real" chamois from drying
out.

Some folks apply various ointments to their posterior with either type of
chamois to avoid irritation. I use a synthetic chamois without any creames
or ointments, and haven't had any problems even on centuries. Perhaps TdF
riders doing 100 miles a day for three weeks need the special ointments.

OK, well, sorry to have brought this up again, b/c I believe there was just
a 'chamois' thread and tights over or under shorts thread only a couple
months ago. But it's appreciated.

Since there seem to be so many types of pad out there, I'll check out a
pair of top of the line shorts and see what that pad looks like. Maybe
Pearl Izumis. I have a Performance house brand.

As to the OPs question about tights, you should wear padded cycling shorts
(and nothing else) under them.

Some ppl say tights with padding and cycling shorts, unpadded over them,
iirc. (j/k)

The nice thing about unpadded tights over padded shorts is that if the
weather warms up, you can simply remore the tights.

Art Harris

Of course, and thus best to have a pair that have zippers on the bottoms to
allow getting over your shoes, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks again! ;-)

-B