Phone orders to Harris - A cautionary Tale

Old July 26th 05, 05:10 PM
Jeff Starr

Default Phone orders to Harris - A cautionary Tale

I needed to call Harris to supply my CC #, so that my order could be
completed.

Well, between 6-15-05 and 6-23-05, I tried 54 times. Each time getting
their recorded message, that they were helping other customers. Well,
I finally got through on the 55th attempt, only to find out they had
been short handed and not answering that line.

I should mention, that this is where the caution comes in, it is not a
toll free number. It turns out the long distance carrier that I was
using, was billing a minute per call, with a connection fee, total
cost per call $.64. It added up to over $34 plus tax.

I called the long distance carrier and they were nice enough to drop
all the charges, for those calls, as I never really connected with my
party.

The parts were something like $29 with shipping, another $34+ would
have made them very pricey cogs.

So, be aware of this and if you do get charged, as I did, call and see
if your carrier will help you out. I was using Lucky Dog 10-10-345,
which in my brief research, I find is owned by AT&T. I don't have a
committed carrier, as I seldom make long distance calls. I canceled my
last one, because of fees, even in months where I made no calls.

I am not unhappy with anyone, I just thought this was worth
mentioning.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old July 26th 05, 05:19 PM
Tom Reingold

Jeff Starr wrote:
[...]

What ever happened to the good old busy signal? Now businesses have
machines to tell you they're too busy. That's no improvement!

Old July 26th 05, 05:39 PM

Jeff Starr wrote:
[...]

I admire your diligence, but why, after the 5th time didn't you say
screw it, if they can't answer the phone, they don't deserve my
business. I know we all want to reward Sheldon for all his good work,
but that seems a bit extreme.

Old July 26th 05, 06:01 PM

i live at the end of the earth.
and eACH WINTER WHEN THE SNOW FALLS AND NO ONE CAN GET TO THE BIKE SHOP
VIA DOGSLED
i call harris and they drag brown outta bed and across the snow
we speak at length. sometimes, i need to cut brown short, there are
days when harris puts something special in the tea. he is very helpful.
harris is accomadating to an extreme. only my ferrari dealer treats me
better.
I order $150-250 worth of parts.
only rarely does harris steal from my package(this is SOP MO bike
parts) and argue with me about it
but he always makes good on the stolen stuff. i know one guy that sends
what he feels like sending screw your order.
harris is selling bicycles during summer months. each customer will
return for service, parts, clothing,
and your $29?
try february when the snow's a blowing. keep in mid that harris buys
from a guy who is also snowbound.
that goes for all bicycle MO.

Old July 26th 05, 08:46 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about 26 Jul 2005 09:39:09 -0700, the person known
to the court as made a statement
.com in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

I admire your diligence, but why, after the 5th time didn't you say
screw it, if they can't answer the phone, they don't deserve my
business.

Harsh. It's a small business.

I send email, they email or call back.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 26th 05, 11:18 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:10:03 GMT, Jeff Starr
wrote:

Well, between 6-15-05 and 6-23-05, I tried 54 times.

54 times. Wow. I would have stopped after four or five and emailed
them to ask about the phone.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old July 27th 05, 12:42 AM
C.J.Patten

FWIW, split your credit card up over two emails - even ones sent from
seperate accounts.
It makes it HIGHLY unlikely anyone will pilfer the number.

"Jasper Janssen" wrote in message
On 26 Jul 2005 09:39:09 -0700, wrote:

I admire your diligence, but why, after the 5th time didn't you say
screw it, if they can't answer the phone, they don't deserve my
business. I know we all want to reward Sheldon for all his good work,
but that seems a bit extreme.

Or at least after a few tries, mail them asking for them to call you when
they have some time.

Or just send the credit card details over email, it's not *that* insecure.

Jasper

Old July 27th 05, 12:44 AM

I'm wondering if they know this Starr fellow, and just don't want to
deal with him.

:)

JHH

Phone orders to Harris - A cautionary Tale Jeff Starr General 27 July 28th 05 04:08 PM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Mountain Biking 3 October 27th 04 09:07 AM
A Cautionary Tale Spencer Bullen UK 11 February 7th 04 05:13 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM