Cal Thomas promotes bike commuting

Old May 14th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Cal Thomas promotes bike commuting

Cal Thomas is a syndicated op-ed columnist, about as conservative as
the Pope is Catholic.

Today's column makes the following points:

a) The oil companies are good guys. They should continue to get $17
billion in tax breaks from our government.

b) The US should drill for oil offshore, in the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge, etc.

c) "A slow transition [to non-oil energy sources] will also give us
time to consider more fuel-efficient cars and greater use of public
transportation, even bicycles for short trips. Bikes would help more
of us lose weight and get in shape. A friend bikes to work every day,
saving gas, car payments, insurance and repair costs."

The first two points illustrate that he's not turned into a left-
leaning softie overnight. The third point illustrates that it's not
only left-leaning softies that see value in biking.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 14, 9:24 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

b) The US should drill for oil offshore, in the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge, etc.

What are these people smoking?

Drilling in previously off-limits areas will have no significant
positive effect on America's energy dependence or the price of oil or
the price of gasoline. People who believe otherwise, and clearly there
are a lot of them, completely misunderstand the nature of the
predicament, which has become coming down the tracks at us for about
40 years, ever since this country became an oil importer instead of an
exporter. Look: today the US produces about half the crude it did near
our production peak 35-40 years ago. We peaked out at about 10 million
barrels per day -- not for lack of drilling, quite the opposite. Today
we consume more than 20 million barrels per day and manage to produce
only about one quarter of that in the US. People need to put down the
crack pipe and realize there is no way we are going to drill our way
to energy independence or even make a serious dent in it.

Robert
Old May 14th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luke

In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Sheesh. An affirmation of the bicycle's value as a corollary of
ideology. Must everything be politicized?
Old May 14th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

On 2008-05-14, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Cal Thomas is a syndicated op-ed columnist, about as conservative as
the Pope is Catholic.

Today's column makes the following points:

[yada, yada]

c) "A slow transition [to non-oil energy sources] will also give us
time to consider more fuel-efficient cars and greater use of public
transportation, even bicycles for short trips. Bikes would help more
of us lose weight and get in shape. A friend bikes to work every day,
saving gas, car payments, insurance and repair costs."

The first two points illustrate that he's not turned into a left-
leaning softie overnight. The third point illustrates that it's not
only left-leaning softies that see value in biking.

John Thompson wrote:
Sure, but do note that it is Cal's "friend" who bikes to work, not Cal
himself. Sacrifice is always easier when you don't have to do it
yourself.

N.B. Personally, I don't see commuting by bike to be a sacrifice; I do
it until the ice on the roads makes it unsafe. But for people like Cal
Thomas, giving up a motor vehicle is a major sacrifice.

Maybe not. For all we know, he takes the train.
(I have no clue, personally)

\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old May 15th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

b) The US should drill for oil offshore, in the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge, etc.

Why don't the "conservatives" get it? And by "get it" I mean recognize that
we're better off NOT drilling for oil up there now, but keeping it in the
ground as a strategic reserve, available in the event we REALLY need it, and
then basically stick it to the man.

Meanwhile, we work to hurt those that have the oil by reducing demand, and
freely share whatever technologies to save oil we can come up with. Again,
sticking it to the man.

"The man" being whomever has lots of oil that they sell for lots of money.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old May 15th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 14, 3:30 pm, John Thompson wrote:

But that's not the reason why they want to drill in the ANWR. There's
good money to be made pumping that oil and they want to get it before
somebody else does.

Exactly.

Old May 15th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 14, 6:59 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

Exactly wrong, of course. It's U.S. territory, so no one else will "get
it" -- unlike, say, international waters near the mainland, where other
countries are drilling today while the oh-so-cautious U.S. dares not even
try.

He meant, no other companies will get it. Whichever companies that
develop that oil, any oil, are going to make a ton off it. Developing
that oil will not, however, have any significant effect on the big
picture of this country's dependence on foreign oil.

(Note also that many of the companies that would be involved with
developing and getting rich off said oil, from American soil, would
likely be foreign owned.)

BTW, Congress approved exploring/drilling in Alaska back in the '90s, but
Bill Clinton vetoed it. The U.S. would be getting a /lot/ of oil from there
today if not for that.

Bill "more supply, more jobs, lower prices...can't have that!" S.

You obviously have no clue what's going on.
Old May 15th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 14, 5:31 pm, Luke wrote:
In article
,

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Well, he is a political columnist, you know.

- Frank Krygowski