Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

Old August 11th 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

I got a KMC 8.93 chain today for the bike with a 6 sprocket cluster. There's also a KMC Z-51 chain but it got terrible reviews. I also noticed that a lot of reviews for Shimano chains weren't all that great either. This leads me to wonder if the quality of Shimano chains in general is dropping. Is it?

If Shimano chain quality is dropping then who is making better quality chains?

Cheers
Old August 11th 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

https://bikesreviewed.com/gear/best-bike-chains/
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 11th 19, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

I got a KMC 8.93 chain today for the bike with a 6 sprocket cluster.

There's also a KMC Z-51 chain but it got terrible reviews. I also
noticed that a lot of reviews for Shimano chains weren't all that
great either. This leads me to wonder if the quality of Shimano chains
in general is dropping. Is it?

If Shimano chain quality is dropping then who is making better quality chains?

Cheers

https://bikesreviewed.com/gear/best-bike-chains/
--
cheers,

John B.

Well, those are data points in some group's opinions.

To OP's quest for a _six speed_ drive chain my current
recommendation is the Wippermann 7.08 nickel plated chain.
Those are new here so I can't speak to longevity but they
are fat (a feature for 5/6 freewheels) and include a Connex
snaplink. Nothing wrong with KMC Z33 for six speed BTW. As
chain gets skinnier, classic 5/6 shifting suffers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 11th 19, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I looked at the site John B gave the link to but none of the KMC chains available near me are shown there. I haven't seen a Wipperman chain in ages in any bicycle shops around here. The KMC 8.93 chain I got today has great reviews even for its use as a 6-speed chain. I just got back from a test ride with it on the bike and it shifts great.

Cheers
Old August 11th 19, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I didn't mention it before but I wonder whether if one measures only
wear whether a "modern" 10-11 speed chain can match an older, say 7
speed, chain?

--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 11th 19, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/10/2019 6:17 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

To OP's quest for a _six speed_ drive chain my current recommendation is
the Wippermann 7.08 nickel plated chain. Those are new here so I can't
speak to longevity but they are fat (a feature for 5/6 freewheels) and
include a Connex snaplink. Nothing wrong with KMC Z33 for six speed BTW.
As chain gets skinnier, classic 5/6 shifting suffers.

Agreed, the KMC Z33 is fine for 5 and 6 speed freewheels, and the 8 and
9 (and 10 and 11) should be avoided. No upside in spending more for
poorer shifting.

The issue is that finding the older chains in a shop is often not easy
since 5 and 6 speed freewheels haven't been used in a long time. So
often they'll sell naive customers a 7 or 8 speed narrower chain and
assure them that it'll work fine.

Old August 11th 19, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Since I've already used the one I bought on your recommendation I can't verify it but from memory the Connex was a pretty heavy chain and it was easy to see why it might have longer wear characteristics.
Old August 11th 19, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 7:00:36 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/10/2019 6:17 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

To OP's quest for a _six speed_ drive chain my current recommendation is
the Wippermann 7.08 nickel plated chain. Those are new here so I can't
speak to longevity but they are fat (a feature for 5/6 freewheels) and
include a Connex snaplink. Nothing wrong with KMC Z33 for six speed BTW.
As chain gets skinnier, classic 5/6 shifting suffers.

Agreed, the KMC Z33 is fine for 5 and 6 speed freewheels, and the 8 and
9 (and 10 and 11) should be avoided. No upside in spending more for
poorer shifting.

The issue is that finding the older chains in a shop is often not easy
since 5 and 6 speed freewheels haven't been used in a long time. So
often they'll sell naive customers a 7 or 8 speed narrower chain and
assure them that it'll work fine.

5, 6, 7 and 8 speed freewheels are readily available since most of the world is still using them. You can even get 9 speed freewheels.
Old August 11th 19, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/11/2019 12:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you:

https://www.amazon.com/Ventura-Speed.../dp/B00ZHYFMXY

Old August 11th 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/11/2019 11:00 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you:

https://www.amazon.com/Ventura-Speed.../dp/B00ZHYFMXY

While I'm sure your shop has a supply of 5 and 6 speed freewheels, the
shops around here are not stocking parts for bicycles that are no longer
often coming in for repairs. They would offer to order it from QBP and
it would arrive in 1-2 weeks. They would also try to sell you a 7/8
speed narrow chain with assurances that it would work fine even though,
as you said, "shifting suffers."

With all the complaints from some LBS owners about people shopping
online, the reality is that it's often because the LBS simply can't
stock all the esoteric parts and accessories that could sit on the shelf
for years before someone bought them.

I ordered a SRAM 10.5mm x 26 tpi axle nut from you after trying a bunch
of local shops, most of which didn't know what the heck I was talking
about. Nor did most shops know that a 13/32" x 26TPI Sturmey-Archer nut
would work satisfactorily.

Installing rear wheel without dropping chain Joe Riel Techniques 18 January 6th 16 08:45 PM
Issue with Shimano 10 Speed chain dropping [email protected] Techniques 6 June 21st 06 01:35 PM
Sora chain ring "dropping off" going from large to small ring? Yuri Budilov Techniques 18 September 7th 04 03:14 PM
Variable quality Shimano MartinM UK 21 March 1st 04 12:31 PM
USPS dropping Trek and Shimano! anonymous Racing 39 January 3rd 04 12:12 AM