nifty multitool

Old July 1st 20, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default nifty multitool

Fits into the hollow axes of the GRX crankset and is held by a magnet:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJcKwKxXXKRo6eyS9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSganYNLo3a5R3SG6

Lou

Old July 1st 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

https://www.allinmultitool.com/

Old July 2nd 20, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 10:57:13 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

Fits into the hollow axes of the GRX crankset and is held by a magnet:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJcKwKxXXKRo6eyS9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSganYNLo3a5R3SG6

Lou

Nice:
https://www.allinmultitool.com
https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/multitool-fits-inside-crank-spindle-adds-bike-chain-breaker/
68 Euros.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 2nd 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Fits into the hollow axes of the GRX crankset and is held by a magnet:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJcKwKxXXKRo6eyS9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSganYNLo3a5R3SG6

Lou

Nice:
https://www.allinmultitool.com
https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/multitool-fits-inside-crank-spindle-adds-bike-chain-breaker/
68 Euros.

I admit it's cute. But it seems like you can get a multi-tool that's
even more effective for half the price if you're willing to keep it in a
gasp! bike bag.

And the bike bag version won't slow you down with eddy current losses
due to the cute one's magnets. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 2nd 20, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Fits into the hollow axes of the GRX crankset and is held by a magnet:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJcKwKxXXKRo6eyS9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSganYNLo3a5R3SG6

Lou

Nice:
https://www.allinmultitool.com
https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/multitool-fits-inside-crank-spindle-adds-bike-chain-breaker/
68 Euros.

I admit it's cute. But it seems like you can get a multi-tool that's
even more effective for half the price if you're willing to keep it in a
gasp! bike bag.

Yep, truly horrible. Think of the aerodynamic drag and added grams of
weight caused by the bag. Mounted to the frame, it might affect the
glossy finish required to maintain laminar air flow. However, none of
that is as serious as the lack of security for the tool. There's
nothing to keep anyone from walking by, seeing the unique logo, and
simply pulling on the cover to remove a 68 Euro tool held in only by
magnets. If locking proves difficult, perhaps the "pro" model will
include a pepper spray in your face dispenser?

And the bike bag version won't slow you down with eddy current losses
due to the cute one's magnets. ;-)

Ummm... the retention magnets rotate along with the steel spindle.
Everything else is aluminum, carbon fiber, or wood, none of which are
affected by magnetic fields. Actually, you can use eddy currents
through an aluminum disc for magnetic braking but it takes a much
larger magnet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current_brake

Cute does sell some products. Think of it as "giftware".

Old July 2nd 20, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, as a cute science demo for a young physics major who was visiting,
I took a high strength magnet about 5mm diameter by 15mm long and
dropped it down an aluminum tube about 10mm ID and a meter long. It fell
very, very slowly. (Try it. It's fun!)

Her father is a very smart electrical engineer, but neither of them
understood what was happening.

My point? Eddy currents work well with aluminum. (I don't know about
carbon fiber.) If you have an aluminum frame and this toolkit, your only
hope is that the steel spindle will shield the magnetic fields from the
aluminum.

Otherwise, this braking effect might be enough to overcome the advantage
of even red paint. And as we know, with bicycling, every dyne matters;
nothing is negligible!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 2nd 20, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:

Fits into the hollow axes of the GRX crankset and is held by a magnet:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJcKwKxXXKRo6eyS9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSganYNLo3a5R3SG6

Lou

Nice:
https://www.allinmultitool.com
https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/multitool-fits-inside-crank-spindle-adds-bike-chain-breaker/

68 Euros.

I admit it's cute. But it seems like you can get a multi-tool that's
even more effective for half the price if you're willing to keep it in a
gasp! bike bag.

Yep, truly horrible.Â* Think of the aerodynamic drag and added grams of
weight caused by the bag.Â* Mounted to the frame, it might affect the
glossy finish required to maintain laminar air flow.Â* However, none of
that is as serious as the lack of security for the tool.Â* There's
nothing to keep anyone from walking by, seeing the unique logo, and
simply pulling on the cover to remove a 68 Euro tool held in only by
magnets.Â* If locking proves difficult, perhaps the "pro" model will
include a pepper spray in your face dispenser?

And the bike bag version won't slow you down with eddy current losses
due to the cute one's magnets.Â*Â*Â* ;-)

Ummm... the retention magnets rotate along with the steel spindle.
Everything else is aluminum, carbon fiber, or wood, none of which are
affected by magnetic fields.Â* Actually, you can use eddy currents
through an aluminum disc for magnetic braking but it takes a much
larger magnet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current_brake

Well, as a cute science demo for a young physics major who was visiting,
I took a high strength magnet about 5mm diameter by 15mm long and
dropped it down an aluminum tube about 10mm ID and a meter long. It fell
very, very slowly. (Try it. It's fun!)

Her father is a very smart electrical engineer, but neither of them
understood what was happening.

My point? Eddy currents work well with aluminum. (I don't know about
carbon fiber.) If you have an aluminum frame and this toolkit, your only
hope is that the steel spindle will shield the magnetic fields from the
aluminum.

Doesn't the spindle completely shield everything outside the spindle
from the magnetic fields? (Serious question, but I thought it did.)
Mark J.
Old July 3rd 20, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:
Ummm... the retention magnets rotate along with the steel spindle.
Everything else is aluminum, carbon fiber, or wood, none of which are
affected by magnetic fields. Actually, you can use eddy currents
through an aluminum disc for magnetic braking but it takes a much
larger magnet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current_brake

Well, as a cute science demo for a young physics major who was visiting,
I took a high strength magnet about 5mm diameter by 15mm long and
dropped it down an aluminum tube about 10mm ID and a meter long. It fell
very, very slowly. (Try it. It's fun!)

Nice, but I couldn't find a suitable magnet. I think a salvaged
loudspeaker magnet might work if I can find one. All my neodymium
magnets are in the form of salvaged hard disk drive magnets.

Her father is a very smart electrical engineer, but neither of them
understood what was happening.

My point? Eddy currents work well with aluminum. (I don't know about
carbon fiber.) If you have an aluminum frame and this toolkit, your only
hope is that the steel spindle will shield the magnetic fields from the
aluminum.

It should work with any conductive material. The moving magnet sets
up a reflected magnetic field with the same polarity in the aluminum
tube. Like poles (and polarities) repel. The repulsive force opposes
the motion of the magnet, so it slows down.

The water is mildly conductive and can support a magnetic field
sufficient to support mouse in a very strong magnetic field:
https://phys.org/news/2009-09-mice-levitated-space.html
https://www.improbable.com/2009/10/22/mice-levitated-in-lab/
I suppose if it works for a mouse, it might work for carbon fiber.

Otherwise, this braking effect might be enough to overcome the advantage
of even red paint. And as we know, with bicycling, every dyne matters;
nothing is negligible!

Since the sum of all the things deemed negligible often approaches the
whole, discounting negligible effects might not be a good idea. At
some point, we will probably need to consider quantum effects in
bicycle performance.

Old July 7th 20, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 5:56:11 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

At some point, we will probably need to consider quantum effects in
bicycle performance.

I'm not worried. As a novelist and an economist, never mind a psychologist, both of the latter where I practiced them statistical arts with a tenuous relationship to hard mathematics, I've spent my life dealing with matters which can simultaneously be both true and untrue so that the tiniest margin of truth can make billions of difference at yearend audit. But I feel sorry for engineers, who have on the whole been taught that there are always hard numbers which mean only one thing at a time -- or even forever.

Andre Jute
Compare when I did my conscript military service in intelligence, where almost all the facts are deliberately made untrue by your enemies and you must find the single indicative fact that is important enough to act on or, in that wilderness of mirrors, deliberately not to act on because you don't want the guys opposite to discover they didn't baffle you; a field of fools' gold in which the greater the benefit of some "fact" to your side, the greater the risk that the benefit, even if it the fact is objectively true, to the other side will be greater. Zero sum games are the greatest psychosis one can imagine.
Old July 7th 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Fits into the hollow axes of the GRX crankset and is held by a magnet:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJcKwKxXXKRo6eyS9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSganYNLo3a5R3SG6

Lou

Nice:
https://www.allinmultitool.com
https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/multitool-fits-inside-crank-spindle-adds-bike-chain-breaker/
68 Euros.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Having ridden a great deal of gravel in my time I can't figure out why the GRX cranks would be set-up for cyclocross rather than gravel.

Favorite multitool DeF Australia 1 April 17th 07 07:34 AM
nifty LED pedals phlegm Unicycling 21 September 11th 05 11:05 PM
Multitool wanted - Socket/spanner type Random UK 9 May 16th 05 01:47 PM
OT nifty album software Penny S Mountain Biking 1 March 22nd 04 01:16 PM
Nifty gadget Doesnotcompute UK 2 August 19th 03 10:35 AM