Good website on bike headlights

Old May 11th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Good website on bike headlights

I just found this website on bike headlights. Lots of good
discussion.

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/lig...bnails/nob.jpg

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 11th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Ted Bennett

I just found this website on bike headlights. Lots of good
discussion.

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/lig...bnails/nob.jpg

- Frank Krygowski

Instead of the above, use http://www.blayleys.com/articles/lights/
for the article, which is very good.

Thanks for the link, Frank.

--
Ted Bennett
Old May 11th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Ted Bennett wrote:

Instead of the above, use http://www.blayleys.com/articles/lights/
for the article, which is very good.

That site is mainly about dynamo lights, which all the experts agree are
insufficient for most cyclists needs. I have some dynamo lights, and
while they're great for well-lit familiar streets, you wouldn't want to
be riding in dark or unfamiliar areas with them, as they aren't bright
enough.

The only stores you'll find dynamo lights for sale these days are places
like hardware stores and drug stores. Very, very few bicycle stores sell
dynamo lights anymore, the market is too small, and there is some legal
risk as well. You can order high end dynamo lights on-line from Peter
White Cycles, but a good system with a 6W dynamo and a good headlight
will cost you a lot of money.

I strongly agree with the late Ken Kifer's statement, "For commuters,
the best front light is the very bright rechargeable lamp."

For the best web site on bicycle lighting, just Google or Yahoo "bicycle
lighting" and the first non-sponsored result will take you there.

Oh my, I just realized, that's _my_ web site, what a surprise!
Old May 11th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Clive George

You don't learn, do you. That statement is complete and utter ********.

The only stores you'll find dynamo lights for sale these days are places
like hardware stores and drug stores. Very, very few bicycle stores sell
dynamo lights anymore, the market is too small, and there is some legal
risk as well.

More bull****.

It would be nice to read a post from you which wasn't full of nonsense, but
I don't hold out much hope.

clive

Old May 11th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Hank Wirtz

On May 11, 10:08 am, SMS wrote:
Ted Bennett wrote:
Instead of the above, usehttp://www.blayleys.com/articles/lights/
for the article, which is very good.

That site is mainly about dynamo lights, which all the experts agree are
insufficient for most cyclists needs.

Huh? Which experts?

I have some dynamo lights, and
while they're great for well-lit familiar streets, you wouldn't want to
be riding in dark or unfamiliar areas with them, as they aren't bright
enough.

Double huh? I used dynamos for all my commuting this winter, which was
in the dark both directions, 10 miles of which had no streetlighting.

The only stores you'll find dynamo lights for sale these days are places
like hardware stores and drug stores. Very, very few bicycle stores sell
dynamo lights anymore, the market is too small, and there is some legal
risk as well.

Ah. You're talking about old-skool pre-halogen lamps. Yeah, those
suck. I don't know of anybody who sells those anymore, except as
vintage parts on ebay.

You can order high end dynamo lights on-line from Peter
White Cycles, but a good system with a 6W dynamo and a good headlight
will cost you a lot of money.

Most dynamos available today are 6 VOLT, 3W. I've never seen a 6W
bicycle dynamo. So yeah, that probably would cost a lot of money. And
a Shimano Nexus dynohub + a good quality B&M lamp is comparable in
price, probably less, than a large share of rechargeable systems out
there. Same goes for B&M's better bottle generators + lamp.

I strongly agree with the late Ken Kifer's statement, "For commuters,
the best front light is the very bright rechargeable lamp."

How recently late? B&M and Schmidt have been introducing fantastic
dynamo lamps in recent years. Especially B&M's LED products.

And Very Bright Rechargeable Lamps are very good at blinding oncoming
riders. Especially helmet-mounted ones.

For the best web site on bicycle lighting, just Google or Yahoo "bicycle
lighting" and the first non-sponsored result will take you there.

Oh my, I just realized, that's _my_ web site, what a surprise!

Based on what you've said here, I question your judgement.

Old May 11th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

SMS wrote:

That site is mainly about dynamo lights, which all the experts agree are
insufficient for most cyclists needs. I have some dynamo lights, and
while they're great for well-lit familiar streets, you wouldn't want to
be riding in dark or unfamiliar areas with them, as they aren't bright
enough.

Dynamos aren't real popular in the USA, I know for sure.
With a good LED a dynamo could be more than enough, but it may not be
the best choice for city riding because of the fact that a regular
dynamo setup doesn't work if you aren't /rolling/.

There's at least one somewhere that the light has a small rechargeable
battery to run off of while standing still.
------
All the cheaper dynamo lights I know of still is dim yellow low-output
incan bulbs however, and converting to a good LED is still something of
a D-I-Y task.

A good LED setup needs a big heatsink as well as a current
regulator--but at least, powering it from a generator means you don't
need a perfectly-efficient regulator circuit (like you want if you're
driving it with a battery). You could use one of the more-wasteful
regulators, as long as it left enough power to run the LED decently.
~
Old May 11th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Hoyle

In rec.bicycles.misc Ted Bennett wrote:

I just found this website on bike headlights. Lots of good
discussion.

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/lig...bnails/nob.jpg

Instead of the above, use http://www.blayleys.com/articles/lights/
for the article, which is very good.

Thanks for the link, Frank.

The previous link has a great link to a roundup of 2007 LED lights:

http://www.gearreview.com/2007_led_lights.php

-a

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Old May 11th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
A Muzi

SMS wrote:
Ted Bennett wrote:

[...]

Man, what a small worldview.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old May 11th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:40:30 -0500, A Muzi
wrote:

SMS wrote:
Ted Bennett wrote:

[...]

Dear Andrew,

Perhaps he could see things more clearly with a better light?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 11th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
A Muzi

DougC wrote:

-snip dynamos -
may not be
the best choice for city riding because of the fact that a regular
dynamo setup doesn't work if you aren't /rolling/.

Yeah, that has been "explained" to me as long as I've (happily) ridden
with them - since 1972. I may be special, but where I ride, the
streetlamps are at the intersections.

Total lifetime maintenance costs (bulbs, wires, lenses etc for 3
dynamos) under fifty bucks I estimate. Plenty of light, I never have a
'dead' light and I don't (can't) leave them home. YMMV