Is New Bike Lust...

Old May 27th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Is New Bike Lust...

....inversely or directly correlated to miles ridden?

For me, the more I ride the less apt I am to get The Fever. Others
report the opposite-- more miles = more desire for the latest and
greatest ride (as defined by their personal criteria).

Old May 27th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Art Harris

wrote:
...inversely or directly correlated to miles ridden?

For me, the more I ride the less apt I am to get The Fever. *Others
report the opposite-- more miles = more desire for the latest and
greatest ride (as defined by their personal criteria).

I think it has more to do with how long you've been riding. After
several years and a few different bikes, most of us figure out that
the bike is just a tool. As long as it fits properly and does what you
want, there's no reason to replace it.

Art Harris
Old May 28th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

wrote in message
...inversely or directly correlated to miles ridden?

For me, the more I ride the less apt I am to get The Fever. Others
report the opposite-- more miles = more desire for the latest and
greatest ride (as defined by their personal criteria).

To a certain extent. Though I think it plateaus.

Having just gone through a new bike purchase and taken my longest ride this
past weekend I think the tipping point in the shopping process occurs:

'When test rides have been taken'.

After that the purchase is a forgone conclusion. It's just a matter of
which model size type and accessories.

Getting to know your new bike... not to anthropomorphize... but it's like
getting to know a new girlfriend.

Old June 1st 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

The best way to answer your question is with a question (or two): Does
your current ride feel like it can't live up to your cycling needs? Or
are you just feeling envious of the shiny rides your clubmates are
straddling?

If it's the former, then maybe it is time to upgrade. You may not need
an entirely new machine, just some more adequate "ornaments" to hang on
it.

If it's the latter, you'ld be amazed at what a new coat of paint can
accomplish...

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old June 2nd 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 1, 1:15 pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
The best way to answer your question is with a question (or two): Does
your current ride feel like it can't live up to your cycling needs? Or
are you just feeling envious of the shiny rides your clubmates are
straddling?

If it's the former, then maybe it is time to upgrade. You may not need
an entirely new machine, just some more adequate "ornaments" to hang on
it.

If it's the latter, you'ld be amazed at what a new coat of paint can
accomplish...

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:http://geocities.com/czcorner

Right now, I'm totally satisfied with my ride because I am cranking
out 200 miles a week (a lot for me). And, yes, my 12-year old bike
is probably even more than I really need to meet my goals and needs.
Slap on some new bar tape and it's like a brand-new machine. When I'm
mot getting in so many miles though, I tend to spend more time looking
at (ahem) "cycling literature" which gets the juices flowing for the
new stuff. I guess the "off season" is short enough for me to get
over it because I haven't pulled the trigger on anything except the
usual consumables (tires, tubes, chains, bar tape, etc.) in all these
years.

My question was really more rhetorical than anything else. Just
wandering if others had the same sort of mindset. I've spoken with
others who experience the opposite-- more miles, more lust for the new
stuff.

For Sale: Bike, Bike, Bike, Bike, Frame, and wheels. gplama[_137_] Australia 53 July 3rd 07 09:37 AM
Bike Lust Zoot Katz General 10 June 19th 06 03:40 PM
Pink bike lust SuzieB Australia 11 May 9th 06 12:29 AM
humanitarianism trumps bike-bling-lust jim Australia 2 February 19th 06 11:17 PM
bike lust [email protected] Mountain Biking 4 March 18th 05 03:01 PM