Difficulty is all relative

Old April 11th 04, 04:34 PM
Sofa

Default Difficulty is all relative

I was UW'ing in the parking lot of a trail head yesterday, waiting to
see if anyone else was gonna show up for the ride.

While I was practicing, there was an older couple who came up behind me,
and were baffled. They never said anything to me, but I heard the lady
grab the guys attention, and some noises of amazement soon came.

They then went into the trail on their walk, while i waited for a few
more minutes. No one showed, so I headed in, on the MUni.

I passed them soon enough, luckily, in a semi technical section (the
best place to pass people!)

The comment from this older (60+?) couple who just got passed by a
unicyclist in the woods was:
'Well, that looks a lot easier, eh?'

Side note: Because I was by myself, I decided to see how fast I could
ride the 20km loop. I did it in one hour thirty six, MUni/160's

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old April 13th 04, 01:48 AM
JonnyD

Unicycling seems to be all about relativity.

Where I'm from, people seem to think I'm pretty good, or at least that's
what they say. Then, after going to Moab, suddenly I feel like a
beginner groupie-cyclist who took up the sport to try and be cool. (not
that it isn't. . .)

I guess maybe I shouldn't compare myself to these guys who are the best
of the best, but when you look like a wimp who can barely ride. .

goes off to try and rebuild self-confidence

-jD

--
JonnyD

The proper wording is: "Whom is this?" Or, more formally: "Just exactly
whom the heck is this to whom I am speaking to?"

Don't light a match until you know which end of the dog is barkin'

I don't NOT want to go. . .
JonnyD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/563

Old April 13th 04, 04:29 AM
James_Potter

Yeah, everyone around here says that we're really good. But compared to
people who are good, we suck bad.

--
James_Potter - ***** ***** *****

-Crap, Crap, Crap!!-
-- Kris Holm

Old April 13th 04, 08:12 AM
elmer

This is the nice thing about (us) being so rare. As long as you can
ride at all, most people will think you're great! And now that I can hop
and drop and idle and go backward and one-foot and suicide mount, people
are even more impressed, and after Moab I'm more motivated than ever to
get better

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

Old April 13th 04, 11:20 AM
Danny Colyer

JonnyD wrote:
Where I'm from, people seem to think I'm pretty good, or at least
that's what they say. Then, after going to Moab, suddenly I feel
like a beginner groupie-cyclist who took up the sport to try and be
cool. (not that it isn't. . .)

Ho yes. In the days when I was properly fit, after riding in a few
races at UK juggling conventions I got the impression I was one of the
fastest people around on one wheel. Then I went to a Unicon and met the
likes of John Foss and discovered I wasn't even close :-(

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html