Compact Cranks

Old January 28th 05, 10:54 PM
raelwelcome

Default Compact Cranks

I recently purchased two compact cranks. Both are Shimano Octalink. I have
a couple of questions. The first is about the crank bolts. These cranks did
not come with bolts. I realize that my LBS probably has a big box of these
but I was considering purchasing a set of titanium bolts that I saw on the
web. Any ideas pro or con? Would there be special consideration for
prepping the bolts or torque.

Secondly, would anyone like to give me advice/recommendations on using the
compact crank with my Campy Chorus 10s gruppo circa 2004. I would be using
the crankset with a Italian Dura Ace BB. Chorus 12 x 26 Record 10 chain
standard FD.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old January 28th 05, 11:15 PM
bfd

ti crank bolts? Never used them, but can you get enough torque on those
things? Nevertheless, you should definitely grease or at least apply
anti-seize to those bolts and bb spindle, before tightening.

Why wouldn't a compact crank work with your chorus group? Try it. If
for some reason it doesn't then make adjustments.

Old January 29th 05, 02:13 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rael- I recently purchased two compact cranks. Both are Shimano Octalink. I
have
a couple of questions. The first is about the crank bolts. These cranks did
not come with bolts. I realize that my LBS probably has a big box of these
but I was considering purchasing a set of titanium bolts that I saw on the
web. Any ideas pro or con? Would there be special consideration for
prepping the bolts or torque.

Secondly, would anyone like to give me advice/recommendations on using the
compact crank with my Campy Chorus 10s gruppo circa 2004. I would be using
the crankset with a Italian Dura Ace BB. Chorus 12 x 26 Record 10 chain
standard FD.

I answer-first the bolts. Yes, use the same bolts used on a shimano crank.
Forget the ti bolts, the weight they save is teeny. BUT if ya gotta have them,
install and torque the cranks with steel bolts first, then put in the ti ones.

As for using it with a Campag drive train, install, lower the front der, go
ride. We do this often with great results, mostly due to the great design of
the left ERGO lever, which is useable with dern near any crank/front der combo.

BRBR

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old January 29th 05, 02:46 PM
Paul Kopit

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:54:58 -0600, raelwelcome
wrote:

Secondly, would anyone like to give me advice/recommendations on using the
compact crank with my Campy Chorus 10s gruppo circa 2004. I would be using
the crankset with a Italian Dura Ace BB. Chorus 12 x 26 Record 10 chain
standard FD.

You need a 103 iso bb like a Campy Chorus or Record.

Would you like a TA Axis in Italian and the correct spindle for $25?
It's steel but lighter than the other choices.