BBC: Drugs In Sport

Old July 28th 03, 04:19 PM
B. Lafferty

Default BBC: Drugs In Sport

New drug menace stalks sport
By Tom Fordyce

A new generation of undetectable drugs is threatening the validity of sport
across the world, a BBC Sport investigation has revealed.

Athletes are able to use human growth hormone (HGH) with impunity because it
does not show up in existing dope tests.

HGH SIDE EFFECTS
Life-threatening damage to heart, liver and kidneys
Spade-like mutation of fingers and toes
Increased risk of cancers
And the World Anti-Doping Agency has admitted to this website that is
unlikely to be able to introduce a new test before the 2004 Olympics -
meaning sportsmen in Athens will be able to take HGH and related banned
substances safe in the knowledge that they will never be caught.

HGH is outlawed by the International Olympic Committee but is easily
available over the internet. Its abuse is presently impossible to detect
because it occurs naturally in the human body.

Dr Olivier Rabin, science director of WADA, told this website, "HGH is one
of the main concerns we have. It's quite a challenge.

"There are currently six different teams in six different countries working
on the detection of HGH.

"We would like to have something in place for the Olympics, but this
(attempt at) detection has been going on for years. History has shown that
you cannot always get tests ready on time, because science does not move
forward smoothly.

"We have two teams whose studies, if successful, could be a possibility. But
if there are elements that need to be fine-tuned, they will not be ready for
the Games.

"The problem is that these tests need validation before they can be
implemented. It has taken years to arrive where we are today."

Marathon world record-holder Paula Radcliffe is among those athletes
concerned at the gaping loophole in the fight against doping.

"We don't know how big a problem it is, because we aren't doing the tests,"
Radcliffe told BBC Sport.

"There will always be innuendos and rumours, because until we find out, we
can't know who is doing what."

Track record a worry

The omens for a successful implementation of a HGH test before next summer
are not auspicious.

The IOC launched a project in 1996 called HGH 2000, which was supposed to
deliver a test for the Sydney Olympics but failed.

"There were technical elements to solve, because it is a complicated
matter," admits Rabin.

"We are dealing with a substance which is both endogenous (produced within
the body) and exogenous (originating outside the body), and the exogenous
HGH is absolutely similar to what is produced by your body.

"You need the cutting edge of science to decide what is endogenous and what
is exogenous."

Rabin's concerns are shared by anti-doping campaigners across the world.

"You can pick up phases of drug use," Michelle Verroken, director of
drug-free sport at UK Sport, told this website.

"Amphetamines were the drugs of the 1960s, EPO of the 1990s. Human growth
hormone and human chorionic gonadotrophin are the present drugs in vogue."

John Brewer, head of human performance at the National Sports Centre in
Lilleshall, told this website, "It's very, very difficult to stay ahead of
the cheats.

"All the time, athletes and the shady medical characters who are advising
them are always trying to stay one step ahead of the field. They are always
looking for new ways of avoiding detection.

"Rumours spread like wildfire. They'll pick up in the changing-room that
someone has tried something that works, and then for fear of being left
behind, they'll try it to see if it works for them too.

"Because the rewards in sport at the highest level are so high, sportsmen
almost become blind both to the possibility of being detected and also the
potential side-effects on their body."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/spo...ge/3101317.stm

Published: 2003/07/27 18:16:09 GMT