"It's Not About the Drugs"

Old August 3rd 05, 04:59 AM
routebeer

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
nk.net...

"routebeer" wrote in message
. ..
... Armstrong is, sadly, a firm
believer in the sport's law of omerta, as evidenced by his treatment of
Filipo Simeoni and others who have spoken out of their own experiences

of
drugs in cycling. Greg Lemond best sums up Armstrong's attitude to

those
who
dare to speak openly of the role drugs play in cycling: "The problem

with
Lance is that you're either a liar or you're out to destroy cycling."

I don't think that's fair. Simeoni should not be accusing the peloton

of
doping. I think that's all that Lance means when he says Simeoni hurts
the
sport with his accusations.

Simneoni spoke ONLY about his own use of EPO and his involvment with Dr.
Ferrari. He did not speak out about anyone else in the sport.

Simeoni is just trying to draw attention to himself by accusing Ferrari of
doping/helping riders. Ferrari works with and consults a number of the
elite pros (as I understand it) so when he is accused of this then all those
he consults are harmed. At first Simeoni claimed just the opposite, then
realized that that was a mistake and that he could draw attention to himself
by saying that Ferrari helped him understand how to dope and avoid
detection. Lance is right about Simeoni being a liar and right that he's
only hurting the sport. Ferrari is a dumbass because of a stupid comment
about how safe EPO was. All of this is much more reasonable and in tune
with real life than your extravagant conspiracy theories that you obsess
over (and there is nothing wrong with that, baseball needs more like you).

The bottom line is, until a rider tests positive or found possessing
drugs,
he shouldn't be accused. Personally, I don't think the peloton is

nearly
as
corrupt as cynics like you like to believe.

Think what you like. The reality is quite different.

Then why are riders not returning positives on surprise out of competition
tests?

Old August 3rd 05, 05:36 AM
Maximillian Leon III

Please put responses on the top of previous posts. It's hard to scroll down
and is bad etiquet.

wrote in message
oups.com...
B. Lafferty wrote:
"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
"Philip Holman" wrote in message

Very old news. Oxygen uptake is the key. Can the cadence exhibited by
Armstrong be sustained at 480+ watts average on a 30 min+ climb with the
VO2Max that Armstrong has (82 or 83). Vayer thinks not and I suspect
that
is why Coyle is postulating other explainations. Coyle has presented a
hypothesis which he has failed to adequately test on his subject. As we
know, VO2Max is not generally a good predictor of performance except as
climbing. (see, e.g. Baker, Arnie, Bicycling Medicine, p. 95, "The test
is a
better predictor of athletic performance in some circumstances than in
others. Some athletic situations have very good correlations with VO2max,
e.g. running and bicycling uphill; some don't")

You didn't get much out of Chung's plot, did you?
That is a bit more authoritative than some sloppy sentence
Arnie Baker tossed off. And cadence is a red herring,
cadence doesn't get you up hills, only power does.

Do you have any idea what form of doping or other cheating
would increase efficiency (defined here as power over oxygen
uptake)? This is a sincere question. Modern forms of doping
like EPO have concentrated on increasing oxygen capacity
through increasing hematocrit, not increasing efficiency.
I suppose amphetamines or pot belge could give an athlete a
temporary boost, but that's a bit too old-school: I'm going to
assume Armstrong didn't pay Ferrari just to help him out with
his meth dosage.

I really think Armstrong psyched you out. He has you right
where he wants his rivals - obsessed with the possibly-mythical
"**** That Will Kill Them," like Bartali sneaking after Coppi
to pick up his empty bottle and have it analyzed. When Bartali
found it was only water, that did worse for his morale than if
it had been any magic potion.

Old August 3rd 05, 07:24 AM
Philip Holman

"Maximillian Leon III" wrote in message
Please put responses on the top of previous posts. It's hard to scroll
down and is bad etiquet.

You've got that backwards. Top posting is bad etiquet.

Phil H

wrote in message
oups.com...
"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
"Philip Holman" wrote in message

Very old news. Oxygen uptake is the key. Can the cadence exhibited
by
Armstrong be sustained at 480+ watts average on a 30 min+ climb with
the
VO2Max that Armstrong has (82 or 83). Vayer thinks not and I
suspect that
is why Coyle is postulating other explainations. Coyle has presented
hypothesis which he has failed to adequately test on his subject. As
we
know, VO2Max is not generally a good predictor of performance except
as to

Old August 3rd 05, 12:52 PM
B. Lafferty

wrote in message
oups.com...
"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
[...]

Other than criticising Baker's syntax, you do agree that there is a good
correlation between VO2Max and climbing, don't you? Are you saying that
cadence doesn't relate to power output and efficiency? Are you saying that
increased cadence doen't require increased O2 uptake?

Do you have any idea what form of doping or other cheating
would increase efficiency (defined here as power over oxygen
uptake)? This is a sincere question. Modern forms of doping
like EPO have concentrated on increasing oxygen capacity
through increasing hematocrit, not increasing efficiency.

Are you saying that a rider will not be aided in climbing with more
sustainable power by using EPO? How about autologous blood boosting?

I suppose amphetamines or pot belge could give an athlete a
temporary boost, but that's a bit too old-school: I'm going to
assume Armstrong didn't pay Ferrari just to help him out with
his meth dosage.

Did you really read this again before posting?

I really think Armstrong psyched you out. He has you right
where he wants his rivals - obsessed with the possibly-mythical
"**** That Will Kill Them," like Bartali sneaking after Coppi
to pick up his empty bottle and have it analyzed. When Bartali
found it was only water, that did worse for his morale than if
it had been any magic potion.

Hardly. It isn't just Armstrong, as Vayer points out. The same questions
also apply to Ullrich, Pantani, Indurain, Virenque and a number of other
riders putting out sustained climbing wattages of 400+.

So Bartali was looking for EPO?? Who would have known he was so far ahead
of his time? ;-)

Old August 3rd 05, 04:34 PM
B. Lafferty

"David Ferguson" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:50:14 GMT, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:

"D. Ferguson" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:06:09 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
wrote:

On 08/03/2005 05:42 AM, in article
, "D. Ferguson"
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:06:03 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
wrote:
On 08/03/2005 12:24 AM, in article ,
"Philip Holman" wrote:

"Maximillian Leon III" wrote in message
Pleaseputresponsesonthetopofpreviousposts. It'shard oscroll thinkwe
should ...downandisbadetiquet....startmid-posting.You'vegot
thatbackwards. Toppostingisbadetiquet.Becausethatwouldmakethemost
sense.Phil HNOTTOMENTIONRANDOMLINEBREgoodcall,but i think we
sh**ldasloleaveoutrandomlet*ers andsometimesforget tohave
spacesbetweenwords.occasional backwards spell*ng is osla
encouraged.AKSINTHEMIDDLEOFWORDSAndno
paragraphbreakseither,tomakeitreallyeasytopickoutt henewcomments rom
theoldYoucanalso emovewhateverdifferentiatestheoldfromthenewinyour
readerandmakeitjustthatmuchmorefun.

And I thought I had too much time on my hands. :-)

I didn't know you did much thinking. I didn't know you were aware that
you have too much time on your hands. I didn't know you posted in
threads that weren't about Armstrong or doping.

Learn something new every day.

And if you must know, I had extra time this morning because my wife is
doing the "drop off" of our kids to my parents house for the day.
Whereas I am usually the one.

And that you have an impaired sense of humor.

Drugs are Cool. crit PRO Racing 23 March 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Decanio Sounding Coherent B Lafferty Racing 93 February 3rd 05 10:32 PM
Bettini on drugs? Gary Racing 74 August 19th 04 01:44 AM
BBC: Drugs In Sport B. Lafferty Racing 0 July 28th 03 04:19 PM