Helmets anyone?

Old July 29th 05, 05:49 PM
Jim

Default Helmets anyone?

There was a cool report (I can't find a link to it at the moment) which
determined that if all car drivers were made to wear helmets when
driving, it would save more lives and reduce injuries than if all
cyclists had to wear helmets.

Weigh up the risk yourself and take advice from people you respect, but
a helmet won't make you invincible.

jim

--
Jim
Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416

Old July 29th 05, 05:55 PM
phil

Catboy wrote:
*You can crash doing anything, wearing a helmet is just common sense.
*

*sigh*

So you wear a helmet when out walking? Statistically it's more dangerous
than biking, so presumably unicycling too.

I wear a helmet when off-roading, because brushing past branches gets
tedious after a while, and the lights mount on it. Other than that I
can't see much use for putting some misshapen polystyrene cups on my
head.

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

Good, bad... I'm the guy with the Cattle Prod.
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old July 29th 05, 05:57 PM
mscalisi

You only need a helmet if you're going to hit you're head. If you're
positive you won't hit your head on anything, then there's no point in
wearing a helmet.

Me? I'm never sure about anything.

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Old July 29th 05, 05:58 PM
Mikefule

Jim wrote:
*There was a cool report (I can't find a link to it at the moment)
which determined that if all car drivers were made to wear helmets
when driving, it would save more lives and reduce injuries than if all
cyclists had to wear helmets.*

If all steering wheels had 6 inch metal spikes in the middle, facing
towards the driver's chest, and no cars had seat belts, there would be
almost no accidents at all.

If all young men under 30 were only allowed to drive pink cars with a
cute teddy bear on the bonnet, there would be fewer accidents too.

Road users look at the immediate risk to themselves, not to others. The
risk of being flattened by a lorry is immediate. the risk of litigation
after injuring a cyclist is less immediate. Thus, motorist swerves to
avoid lorry, hits cyclist.

Interesting point, and probably true: if all cyclists were attractive
naked women, male motorists would never fail to see them, and would
always give way to them.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

Old July 29th 05, 06:06 PM
DK

when I'm just riding around on my muni or trials, i don't wear one. For
xc muni and trials above 2 feet, I wear one. And for DH/ northshore
muni, I wear a fullface (most of the time) and light body armour

--
DK - a bit of the ol' ultraviolence

*Knife in hand, love in heart*

I never took such pleasure in a death
A hatred born of freedom’s dying breath

\"I don't like to use the word 'US interests.' Thats why I wish some
critics, friends of ours would stop saying we go into this country, we
go into that country, we do this and we do that. I say 'shhhh shhhh.' We
dont do anything, they do it to us. We are part the victims, we are not
part of the victimizers.\"
DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

Old July 29th 05, 06:16 PM
hecklar

Personally, i own a helmet, but don't use it, except if i'm trying
something new that involves a high impact (high drop, hard landing,
hight speed and sudden stop). Thus, i've used it about 3 times in the
last year, despite jumping 4 sets, grinding ledges, and doing 1-meter
drops regularly. On the other hand, i wear gloves and leg armour any
time that i plan to jump or take my feet off the pedals while riding,
because i bash my legs with the pinned pedals too often to count.

In addition to wearing leg and hand protection, one of my most important
safety measures is knowledge. The most important lesson that i learned
from skateboarding is to roll out of falls. Next time you have a hard
fall, try to roll as much as possible, exaggerate it, even. Throw a
couple extra rolls in just for fun. You'll notice that your body takes
way less damage. If you get good at it, you can absorb hard impacts
without even getting a scratch. It's amazing. Most of the time it'll
save you from head impacts too.

--
hecklar - Street Rider (Level 4)
hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

Old July 29th 05, 06:58 PM
Danny Colyer

Mikefule wrote:
Interesting point, and probably true: if all cyclists were attractive
naked women, male motorists would never fail to see them, and would
always give way to them.

They would also sit behind for quite a while before overtaking. Just to
make sure it's completely safe to pass, of course.

Riding naked scores 5 BIG points (I usually score 9 on my bike, if I
rode naked I'd increase that to 12):
URL:http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/misc/big.html

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old July 29th 05, 07:16 PM
cyberpunk

Danny Colyer wrote:[color=blue]
*Mikefule wrote:
Riding naked scores 5 BIG points (I usually score 9 on my bike, if I
rode naked I'd increase that to 12
*

From nine to twelve huh, so ridding naked makes your penis 25% bigger?
Sounds like someone is an exhobitionist.

--
cyberpunk - Become one with the Debian

The following is the fault of a random google search and catboy.

"Baby Laughs : The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood"

cyberpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8923

Old July 29th 05, 08:49 PM
leadpan

I wear my helmet when riding for speed(averaging 10mph) or when
"attempting" to MUni. Always wear my knee, elbow, and wrist guards. But
my elbow pad does not have the hard plastic. After hearding your story,
I may start wearing elbow pads with the plastic.

As for the helmet, I don't wear it as much.
My body gets burning hot after riding hard for 30min. I luv my uni
cause I burn lots of calories when riding my Coker.
After riding for about 30min the heat from my head causes me to slow
down and tire. So I have been experimenting with no helment when casual
riding and freestyling. I do wear the helment when it gets dark cause of
my cool halogen headlight mounted on my helmet.

--
leadpan - OC Cokeur

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751

Old July 29th 05, 09:23 PM
eljest

if you wanna be saft, get a motocross helmet.

--
eljest - free your mind

the life is what you make it to

eljest's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8460