Which touring tire?

Old August 8th 05, 05:20 PM
UniTyler

Default Which touring tire?

For my birthday, I've asked my parents for a Yuni 29" Touring unicycle,
but my mom wants me to put down all of the specs I want on a piece of
paper. So I got all of the usual stuff:

-125mm cranks
-Red Seat
-200 mm seatpost

but this is where I got stuck. What tire do I get? The two options are
the *700c WTB Nocros 2.1"* or the
*Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35"*. Both of them obviously cost the same, so I
just need to know which is better for what I'll be doing on it. I think
I'll mostly be riding around the neighborhood, but I might check out the
occasional dirt road, also. Of course no drops or rocks, just cruising
down some of the awsome light trials we have in my neighborhood. As I
said, mostly pavement, though. Thanks for your help!

-Tyler

P.S. - - Do you think the 125 cranks are good or should I do 150?
I'm pretty sure I want the 125s because I love going fast, but you
probably know better than I do.

--
UniTyler - The Little Winkie

::This system powered by uni.::
UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

Old August 8th 05, 06:05 PM
Unitik908

Default Which touring tire and pedals?

go to your local bike store.. mine had like 8 of the pedals that was on
the pedal page.. i ended up getting some mosh bike pedals for my 28"
they are huge with removable pins and only like 15 bucks

Chase

--
Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

Old August 8th 05, 06:10 PM
heavy metal unicycling

On my 29er, I use a Big Apple and Bulletproof pedals (cheap, light
platform pedals). I do the same stuff you do and on a similar uni. You
should check out the LBS to. They will probanly have some good pedals.

--
heavy metal unicycling - Loveland Unicycling Club

People who throw stones at you are quietly saying, "shoot me," they're
just not being verbally expressive enough.
-harper

The Big Picture-
The entire population of the world, with one minor exception, is
composed of others.
heavy metal unicycling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9857

Old August 8th 05, 06:12 PM
UniTyler

heavy metal unicycling wrote:
*On my 29er, I use a Big Apple and Bulletproof pedals (cheap, light
platform pedals). *

'

Cool, do you have any pix of the Big Apple so I can see what the tread
looks like? Oh, and what 29er do you have?

Old August 8th 05, 06:13 PM
Ken Cline

Though I haven't used either tire, I know that road tires - even
slicks - do just fine on dry dirt roads. Wider tires handle loose
dirt and gravel better than skinny ones.

As for cranks, I find 150mm too long for smooth pedalling. Going down
to 140mm made a big improvement for me, and should still offer plenty
of power for normal dirt road riding. Choose between that and 125mm.

Ken
Old August 8th 05, 06:21 PM
Mikefule

For ease of riding, on and off road, the fatter tyre option will
usually win. However, some tread patterns cause handling concerns for
some riders. Take advice from those who have ridden on those actual
tyres.

For pedals, you need the platform to support as much of your foot as
possible (rather than concentrating the force in two ridges across your
sole) and you need reliable grip. I use pinned platform pedals.
Various makes are available. Hollow pins provide noticeably better grip
than solid ones.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Competing with yesterday to hold off tomorrow.

Old August 8th 05, 09:18 PM
heavy metal unicycling

Hey UniTyler, I dont have any pix of the tire. My 29er is a Yuni frame,
a wheel I built using a UDC hub and a KH rim, and an air seat I made out
of a Torker LX saddle.

Old August 8th 05, 09:28 PM
sarah.miller

I've tried 3 tryes on my 29er and my fav is the big apple, its big and
has a nice smooth rounded profile, lots of air in it to handle the odd
lumpy bit and its got these neat reflective strips in the side walls
for enhanced visability at dusk and after dark.

Sarah

--
sarah.miller - SWUM unicyclist

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

Old August 8th 05, 09:41 PM
flyer

I have only ever ridden the 29" Nimbus they have on UDC - the red one.
The big apple is a very thin (and consequently light, this is a good
thing!) tire, but it's made of some ridiculously hard rubber. It's
pretty fun to bounce around on the big apple, and it cruises very
nicely, an incredibly smooth ride. Wheelwalking a 29er is good fun too

The tread is a forward-pointing very flat arrow style, which throws
water off to the front, and not up onto you for the most part when
riding in the rain. It really clings to the road crown though, and if
you're doing a lot of riding on the side of the street it takes a little
while to get used to correcting for it, although I don't notice it so
much anymore (I ride it to and from work).

I definitely recommend the big apple, although I guess it doesn't carry
too much weight since it's the only 29'er I've ridden (or seen in real
life, for that matter )

-Dave

--
flyer - Level 5 Unicyclist
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old August 8th 05, 10:42 PM
James_Potter

my friend has that one with the big apple, and it's awesome.
unfortunately, I don't know anything about the other kind. I just know
that the big apple is awesome. he still has the plastic pedals too, and
they work good, soo...yeah....
oh, and if you're gonna be riding anywhere even remotely hilly, you
should get the 150's. in fact, just get the 150's, just in case.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!