Knee and Elbow pad recomendations

Old August 8th 05, 11:43 PM
ThisGuyIKnow

Default Knee and Elbow pad recomendations

After my Coker booboos yesterday I am wanting to get some knee and elbow
pads for when my momentum gets transfered into the pavement. Although I
should worry about hard hits I am mostly worried aobut just preventing
the kinds of abrasions I received yesterday, see "Coker Booboos" for
pictures.

Anyone have any recomendations for pads?

I was considering the 661 veggie knee pads and the 661 chciken wing
elbow pads. I think they'd feel less bulky than the plastic shell kind
liek the DJ series from 661.

Anyone have any experience with these?

--
ThisGuyIKnow - Film Guy
ThisGuyIKnow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10203

Old August 9th 05, 12:06 AM
Krashin'Kenny

I like the 661 DJ pads for Cokering, since I usually hit only my elbows
or knees. Here's a link to some good prices on the other 661's though:

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?brand=5150&init=y

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old August 9th 05, 12:34 AM
john_childs

For crashing on pavement you want a hard outer shell. The hard shell
slides on the pavement. Fabric covered pads will stick to the pavement
preventing you from sliding as well and will be more likely to be pulled
off your knee or elbow when you do slide.

Best bet is to go to a shop that sells inline skate gear and try on some
different pads. Find one that is comfortable for you throughout the
pedaling range of motion. The bulky extreme pads (like for aggressive
skating) are way overkill for unicycling use. Find some nice thin low
profile pads.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 9th 05, 01:14 AM
digigal1

Veggies are not that big around. I have what I think are normal
sized-legs, but the large were too small for me.

--
digigal1 - Level 1 on a good day

Raphael never stopped being my hero.
digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

Old August 9th 05, 06:11 AM
dogbowl

Go for the hard shell--bad scratches are a total drag, but they do not
even begin to compare to a shattered elbow or knee or wrist--believe me,
I know....about two and a half weeks ago I destroyed my right elbow
while freemounting my 29er. It was a bloody compound fracture and I
spent 4 days in the hospital, with surgery and a lot more to come.

So instead of riding my beloved souped-up Sun 29 converted hotrod
unicycle, I'm stuck at home with a cast that feels as heavy as a bowling
ball. The doctors are not enthused about a full recovery, and my life
has been turned upside-down over this.

Not to mention the rotten case of uni-withdrawal I am currently going
through.

Every morning I wake up and curse myself for not wearing elbow pads--I
wore knee pads and wrist guards and a helmet, but the sidewalk got me
where I was unguarded--I am paying for it now, and may have to pay for
it for the rest of my life.

So go for the hard shells--I certainly wish I did.....

--
dogbowl - Member, Sun28 Appreciation Society

Temporarily off the unicycle due to horribly smashed elbow. Wear elbow
pads.

All I want out of life is to be able to ride the unicycle while smoking
a cigar at the same time. Is that too much to ask for?
www.dogbowl.com / www.eyeballplanet.com

dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

Old August 9th 05, 06:25 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

dogbowl wrote:
*Go for the hard shell--bad scratches are a total drag, but they do
not even begin to compare to a shattered elbow or knee or
wrist--believe me, I know....about two and a half weeks ago I
destroyed my right elbow while freemounting my 29er. It was a bloody
compound fracture and I spent 4 days in the hospital, with surgery and
a lot more to come.

So go for the hard shells--I certainly wish I did..... *

Geez! Sorry to hear that. It sounds "unbelievable."
I'd never guess that it's possible to do so much damage freemounting
(aside from wrist fractures or perhaps sprained ankles).
Are you saying that you were wearing 661's during the accident?

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old August 9th 05, 06:50 AM
dogbowl

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
*Geez! Sorry to hear that. It sounds "unbelievable."
I'd never guess that it's possible to do so much damage freemounting
(aside from wrist fractures or perhaps sprained ankles).
*

Sometimes I have trouble believing it myself, it is so absurd, but
painfully true.
ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
*
Are you saying that you were wearing 661's during the accident? *

No. I dont know how the 661's would have responded to what happened to
me, I was really picking up on what John pointed out about the hard
shells. Who knows, perhaps the 661s could have prevented my injury, but
I tend to believe that the impact was so severe that only a hard shell
could have had a chance of deflecting it....

I described this unfortunate event in a previous thread,

'smashed elbow' (http://tinyurl.com/9alkm)

Absurd accidents happen when you least expect them, but they still
happen.....

Old August 9th 05, 08:08 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

dogbowl wrote:
*Sometimes I have trouble believing it myself, it is so absurd, but
painfully true.*

I totally missed that thread you posted.
Recently, one of the local riders and I rode 9 miles of trail. He
noticed I had my arm armor, and asked, "should I bring it?" I said yes,
and mentioned that it was worth the 2-3 degrees of "heat" that people
claim to feel. Soon into the trail, he did a Superman dive down onto a
rocky hill and slid a few feet. He was glad he wore the armor because he
estimated that he would have had a cut the length of his forearm.
I've noticed that when I don't wear arm armor, I end up with injuries to
the arms. I fall harder because I am tall and lack the graceful falling
that others have.
You are being a much better "sport" about this than I would be. If I
believed that "this would happen to me" I would sell my uni *cheap*
right away (let alone planning to ride again after the injury).
Unicycling isn't worth that type of damage to me.
Because of my experience and your story, you may see me riding with a
hat instead of a helmet one day . . . but I doubt you will see me
without arm armor.

/I think 661s are good enough

Old August 9th 05, 07:10 PM
leadpan

I feel bad for dogbowl. I can't imagine thrashing my elbow like that.
However, regarding this thread. From what I understand dogbowl broke it
NOT while riding fast on his uni but while freemounting.

Now guyiknow says he scratched his elbow and knee after a UPD so I would
say along w/ getting the knee and elbow pads, he should try to 'fall'
properly and try to ROLL when you UDP. I am no gymnist but I had my
shares of UPD while riding my Coker and rolling will tranfer your body
weight more evenly thereby less injury.

For my protection, I wear a tight knee and elbow soft pads. Get a
backpack along with it to protect your back. I have a hard shell which I
wear when MUni only. I mostly cruise and freestyle which requires more
free movement on my joints.

One more piece of advice when riding fast is to LEAN forward so you
don't fall backward. UPD forward is better then backward, we can all
agree.

I am guessing dogbowl is of younger age then I in my 30s, so I hope he
can ride sooner then what doctors say. Get well soon dogbowl, prove the
doctors they are wrong about your recovery time!

--
leadpan - OC Cokeur

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751

Old August 9th 05, 07:54 PM
goldenchicken II

Three weeks ago I fell off my Coker and I deserved it.

I am a fresh Coker rider - received the big wheel at the beginning of
this year. After having problems with my Achilles tendon I didn't ride
as much as I had planned. Then a month ago I decided it was time to tune
up the Coker (which in fact was waay to early). I upgraded with airfoil
rim, 29"-tube, 127 mm cranks, air seat, brake, GB handles - the works.

On the maiden voyage it felt like riding a completely new unicycle far
from the doughy stock version. I told myself to go very easy and stay
within the limits of 'safety riding'. So what do I do? After 15 km into
the ride on a slight descend I want to see how fast I can go.
Incredible. And, while pedalling faster and faster I take another
marvellous decision; I bend my head down trying to read the cycle
computer. BANG! I tip over and hit the pavement with my right elbow, I
glide a bit and roll over.

Needless to say the elbow hurts like hell. It looked like hamburger but
after I had wiped the blood away I saw it wasn't too bad. No need for
needling. No fracture. I wore my skate helmet and wrist guards. The
wrist guards have a plastic insert which allowed me to glide on them
after hitting the ground.

I am thankful this happened while I was doing something completely
foolish. There is absolutely no doubt about why I fell; I rode way over
my limits. If this had happened on another part of the ride when I was
behaving myself I would have been worried and perhaps also thinking
about getting more armour.

Instead I have made a solemn oath never to be foolish on my Coker again.
I will not start wearing elbow pads or knee pads while Cokering. On the
other hand I will never ride without helmet and wrist guards.

--
goldenchicken II - There is more to cycling

Olaf Johansson
goldenchicken II's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10248