The chain slips seldom when speeding up; can this break the chain? or do I have to line up the back sprockets?

Old July 12th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Iván C. Filpo

Default The chain slips seldom when speeding up; can this break the chain? or do I have to line up the back sprockets?

I just bought a mongoose with shimano gear; the gears are very nice
they are very accurate compared to other ones I have tested. However,
sometimes when sudden increase the speed I feel sort of like a slipage
of the chain.

I thought that the solution lied in the alignment of the sprockets, but
I am not sure since it shifts very well, it is just when I go for a
sudden increase of speed.

Is this normal? Does it mean the sprockets have to be line up?

Thanks for your answers,

Iván C. Filpo

Old July 12th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
aloha

On 11 Jul 2006 19:56:27 -0700, "Iván C. Filpo"
wrote:

I just bought a mongoose with shimano gear; the gears are very nice
they are very accurate compared to other ones I have tested. However,
sometimes when sudden increase the speed

I feel sort of like a slipage
of the chain.

??

you mean a skip?
check your connect link, it might be stuck (bad assembly, happens all
the tine, it's called negligence)
try to loosen it

or you'll go back to your LBS and ask them to fix this
- mount a new chain and you'll check the link assembly
- and better mount a chain with a quick link (Sram Connectix KMC etc)
these chain are better also, even the 'same priced' (lighter, more
subtle than shimano)

mt

Old July 12th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe LoBuglio

Iván C. Filpo wrote:
I just bought a mongoose with shimano gear; the gears are very nice
they are very accurate compared to other ones I have tested. However,
sometimes when sudden increase the speed I feel sort of like a slipage
of the chain.

Thanks for your answers,

Iván C. Filpo

I'm not sure what you are experiencing but it could be worn sprokets,
especially if it is worn sprockets and a newer chain. Read
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html, especially about 1/2 way down
the page.

Joe

Old July 15th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Iván C. Filpo

Thanks for responding with such a nice website, I have just added it to
my Google Notes for further reference. However, I do not think the
problem has to do with worn sprockets because it is a brand new bike
and everything looks not worn out. I was thinking that it had to do
with the little "lining sproket" that lines the chain with the sproket
that would need realignment, but does not always happen.

Old July 20th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dvt

Iván C. Filpo wrote:
Thanks for responding with such a nice website, I have just added it to
my Google Notes for further reference. However, I do not think the
problem has to do with worn sprockets because it is a brand new bike
and everything looks not worn out. I was thinking that it had to do
with the little "lining sproket" that lines the chain with the sproket
that would need realignment, but does not always happen.

Since it's a Mongoose, I'm going to guess that you bought it at a
department store. So you're probably not going to get help from the
retailer after the sale; in other words, you're on your own.

I suspect derailer maladjustment based on your limited description of
the problem. Someone has pointed you to Sheldon Brown's page. Go there
and find his article on derailer adjustment. And good luck. I hope the
shortcomings of a department store bike doesn't sour your cycling
experience.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Simeoni and Lance situation Ronde Champ Racing 4 July 24th 04 12:21 AM
newbie bike question - how to tell if bike chain is worn too much Stephen Australia 7 November 28th 03 02:14 AM