Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Old July 17th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

"Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
our automobiles. There is help, you can Divorce Your Car, if you are so
bold. Heck, you could save $30,000 over the next five years ($6000 per
year)."

Yep, just like you deserve to be free from a bad marriage (tell me
about it), you deserve to be free from the enslavement of the
automibile. Well, then you can get into a hot romance with a red (or
whatever color you like) bike or recumbent. They are simply cool as
well as more troublefree and cheaper. And they'll give you a nice
attention-getter physique wich is bound to end in a torrid affair
(unlike an SUV with tinted windows meant to hide a short fat man).

Anyway, whatever your reasons, don't tell you wife...

Cars: True Cost of Ownership

Gasoline is $3.11 per gallon in Port Townsend this week (unleaded
plus). Some feel this is expensive, but gas prices in the USA are cheap
compared to the rest of the world where upwards of $6 per gallon is
more the norm. If your car gets 20 mpg, you currently have to pay
$2300+ for a years (15K miles) worth of gas (per car) - such a deal.

http://ptslacker.blogspot.com/2006/0...ownership.html

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

COMING OUT OF THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote1

BIKE FOR PEACE
http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

Old July 17th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
our automobiles.

Many of us are enslaved to our wives too, but that does not mean we want
a divorce. Both are necessary for a normal life.

Old July 17th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Sornson

george conklin wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Too bad our economy rolls on four wheels. Many of us are enslaved to
our automobiles.

Many of us are enslaved to our wives too, but that does not mean we
want a divorce. Both are necessary for a normal life.

Wow. So much wrong in so few words. Brava!

Old July 17th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom The Great

On 17 Jul 2006 07:35:27 -0700, "donquijote1954"

SNIP

First Windmills, now cars. Guess they offer more sport.

later,

tom
Old July 17th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

donquijote1954 wrote:
[...]

I think you are somewhat city-o-centric. Maybe you can "live" without
a car and have fun on a bike, but not everyone can. I can't. My city
is under 5,000 people with most of it on an Indian Reservation. We're
20 miles from almost anything. You may have fun on your bike, but in
my community there's no place that sells bikes, or tires, or tubes or
anything you would need. We could come up with the compressed air, but
that's about it.

I work out of my house. When I travel, sometimes the meetings are 350
miles away. Sort of tough on a bike -- esp. if you want to make it a
day trip. Oh, did I mention a nearly complete lack of public
transportation. Could take Trailways north and then go to the meeting.
I should get there sometime, I guess.

I am not arguing that most people don't need SUVs or such, but out
here, you pretty much need a car.

Glad to see a post in this group. It's been dead lately. But please
don't try to impose your view on others and tell us what we need when
you have no idea. You and I live in a different world.

One last example for you to think about. What if you went hunting and
got a deer. How would you bring it back to your house on a bike? 10
miles on dirt roads pulling a deer on your recumbant? It's be fun to
see.

Oh, did I mention snow storms. I can't imaging a bike on 6" of
unplowed snow on a packed snow base when it's -20F and windy. Those
car heaters sure come in handy then.

Old July 17th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
John S.

An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00. The commuter then does the
same in reverse and arrives home at 7:00 The times assume he is able
to find a lot of flat and downhill both ways with few traffic and
stoplights.

Incremental cost: New bike every year plus repairs $2,000; Medical
expenses from road injuries $2,000

When it snows, or rains the commuter is either off work and not paid
because he cant make it in, or he is forced to get a hotel room close
to work because he can't ride home in inclement weather.

Incremental cost: Lost wages $5,000; Hotel rooms $1,000

Tiring of those exceedingly long riding days and days missed with no
pay the commuter decides to shorten his commute by moving closer.
After some research he determines that to reduce his commuting distance
by half he will have to pay twice as much for the same house because he
is much closer to the big city now.

Incremental Cost: $200,000

The commuter works in sales and he is asked to make a presentation to
two potential clients, one located 90 miles south on the coast and the
other 45 miles west in the mountains. The commuter presents his boss
with the proposed 6 day ride to cover both potential customers and is
promptly fired.

Incremental cost: Annual salary $100,000

Before the commuter has a chance to shorten his ride, his wife sues for
divorce because he is gone so long from home that she became lonely and
had an affair with the cable tv repairman.

Incremental cost: Alimony and child support for the next 20 years.

Old July 17th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

John S. wrote:
[...]

MY wife would probably like it if I was gone more ....

Incremental cost: Alimony and child support for the next 20 years.

Yeah, but if she's sleeping around with the cable guy, the the divorce
probably goes in the "plus" column, not the minus.

And interesting and incomplete analysis. You forgot something. How do
you (or your teenager) make out on the back seat of a bike.

Old July 17th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

John S. wrote:
An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00. The commuter then does the
same in reverse and arrives home at 7:00 The times assume he is able
to find a lot of flat and downhill both ways with few traffic and
stoplights.

3 hours to go 20 miles??

I could go faster than that riding a single speed steel city-bike with
balloon tires when I lived on the North China Plain. That was coming
at a time when I still walked with a cane.

I have managed a 20 mile hour but there wasn't much uphill and I did
have a paceline helping me for the first 8 miles.

Incremental cost: New bike every year plus repairs $2,000; Medical
expenses from road injuries $2,000

Why would you need to get a new bike every year?

A perfectly acceptable race bike (not commuter bike) doesn't run $2000
a year in repairs and replacements.

And if you are riding to work that much why would you possibly be
falling off enough to hurt yourself that much? $50 in repairs and
medical bills is usually considered to be a major bicycle accident and
most bicyclists don't have major accidents very often (barring mountain
bikers who go out of their way to have major accidents and who are
generally very proud of how they managed to do it).

When it snows, or rains the commuter is either off work and not paid
because he cant make it in, or he is forced to get a hotel room close
to work because he can't ride home in inclement weather.

Incremental cost: Lost wages $5,000; Hotel rooms $1,000

I guess you haven't heard of a poncho, a jacket, boots, or other
articles of winter clothing. I guess you also haven't heard of
carpooling, mass transit, or using the car that most of us still have
but aren't using for ordinary short trips.

Tiring of those exceedingly long riding days and days missed with no

snip

I guess I should have read the rest of this before starting to respond.
You really have no idea of the reality of bike riding do you?

-M

Old July 17th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
David Kerber

In article om,
says...
An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Inaccurate, too. See below...

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00. The commuter then does the
same in reverse and arrives home at 7:00 The times assume he is able
to find a lot of flat and downhill both ways with few traffic and
stoplights.

3 hours for 20 miles? Even at a "no sweating allowed" speed, that would
only take me 2 hours. More typical speeds would be 90 - 100 minutes.

Incremental cost: New bike every year plus repairs $2,000; Medical
expenses from road injuries $2,000

Why a new bike every year? I've put more miles that on my bike every
year for the last 3 years, and it still runs like new. Only needed 1
set of new tires, chain and cassette, for a total of about $200 over
that time. And medical expenses would likely go down, not up: I haven't
had a cold since I started riding all year around 3 years ago (I'm not
claiming it's cause-and-effect, but it's still true), and it didn't cost
much to buy band-aids for the 1 case of road-rash I got last year (and
that was in my one race I entered last year, not commuting or riding for
recreation).

When it snows, or rains the commuter is either off work and not paid
because he cant make it in, or he is forced to get a hotel room close
to work because he can't ride home in inclement weather.

How about just working from home? It's an option for many IT people.
Or keep a car around for just such emergencies. It doesn't cost much to
run, repair and insure a car which is only driven 3000 miles per year.

Incremental cost: Lost wages $5,000; Hotel rooms $1,000

Tiring of those exceedingly long riding days and days missed with no
pay the commuter decides to shorten his commute by moving closer.
After some research he determines that to reduce his commuting distance
by half he will have to pay twice as much for the same house because he
is much closer to the big city now.

What big city? The one I live in is bigger than the one I work in.

Incremental Cost: $200,000

The commuter works in sales and he is asked to make a presentation to
two potential clients, one located 90 miles south on the coast and the
other 45 miles west in the mountains. The commuter presents his boss
with the proposed 6 day ride to cover both potential customers and is
promptly fired.

Another good reason for an emergency car. Or rent one if the beater you
drive in bad weather isn't appropriate for going to a sales
presentation.

Incremental cost: Annual salary $100,000

Before the commuter has a chance to shorten his ride, his wife sues for
divorce because he is gone so long from home that she became lonely and
had an affair with the cable tv repairman.

Incremental cost: Alimony and child support for the next 20 years.

If it's the wife who has the affair, then the husband won't be paying
alimony.

newsgroups if possible).
Old July 17th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bob in CT

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:06:38 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

In article om,
says...
An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Inaccurate, too. See below...

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00. The commuter then does the
same in reverse and arrives home at 7:00 The times assume he is able
to find a lot of flat and downhill both ways with few traffic and
stoplights.

3 hours for 20 miles? Even at a "no sweating allowed" speed, that would
only take me 2 hours. More typical speeds would be 90 - 100 minutes.

It takes me 1.5 hours to ride 17 miles, with tons of sweating and really
large hills. I only ride one way (17 miles) to work or from work, but I
don't ride in and then home -- I don't think I could do it right now. In
AZ, however, I could ride much faster because it was flat. 17 miles would
take me around an hour, depending on how many traffic lights I had to sit
through.

The rest of this was too funny to respond.

--
Bob in CT