Stripped cranks & isis hub

Old August 21st 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Default Stripped cranks & isis hub

Florida-
What hub and crank set are you using? Are they Aluminum cranks, like I
am picturing?
--

Here is my view on aluminum cranks - some facts, some speculation. They
can be pretty solid and strong when made to be, tho you still have

Now say you are out on a ride and your crank is a little bit loose,
just enough you don't notice for a bit, or worse don't have a tool with
you. Those aluminum splines are taking quite a beating and eventually
the shape of the splines will be ever so slightly different from the
shape of your hub.

This is not a huge issue as the ISIS design is tapered so the cranks
will just have to get tightened a micro amount further and it will be
tight again. However without the original fit of those splines it is
going to loosen up again much quicker this time. This will continue to
happen more and more until they loosen every ride.

The same thing can happen with steel cranks, but it is much more subtle
and can be fixed by over tightening(in my case).

I think everyone is pretty happy with the Moment cranks, tho I know
there are a few out there that are starting to experience the downside
to aluminum splines in general. The fact is for people who ride a lot
and cant always get to their tool the exact moment they feel movement
in there cranks are going to experience less than perfect results in
the long run. Whether this a big issue to them or not is personal
preference.

--
agentQ

'*)--SmallSpin-'O,*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFMXG116BE)
'*)---TreFlip-'O,'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpT0YFDgmz4)
'*)--DoubbleFlip-'O,*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/683454)
---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old August 21st 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Giving tapered cranks a few good thumps with a hammer, before putting on
the bolt, is a good idea. It distorts the two parts to have a much
larger area of metal contact, otherwise, tiny high spots will hold the
metals apart.

Assembled with grease, they should stay on unless you need to change
them. Properly installed, there is no movement or wear, no need to
disassemble and re grease etc.

Rotating cranks may help the rim last longer, so that you are not
always dropping on the same spot. But a price will be paid in spline
wear. The splines will last forever if it's put on right, and left
there.

--
feel the light
Old December 17th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Michaelgoround

Hey, I was riding recently when I noticed a slight click(not audible) on
my left crank when riding, which I accounted to a messed up pedal. Later
that day I broke my pedal and switched pedals and still found that I had
a click on my left side. My friends dad told me that my click was from a
stripped crank, which I found was true. So he then told me to rotate my
cranks and that that should take care of the problem and it has taken
care of the problem so far. My question for you is there anything else I
should do to help aleviate this problem and keep it from reoccuring?

--
Michaelgoround
Old December 18th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

feel the light;1082597 wrote:
Giving tapered cranks a few good thumps with a hammer, before putting on
the bolt, is a good idea. It distorts the two parts to have a much
larger area of metal contact, otherwise, tiny high spots will hold the
metals apart.

I had to do this to put my crank back on before... K1 140mm
(Aluminium). I used the hammer approach and just smashed up the thread
inside so I can no longer take it off with my crank extractor. Not good.

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you?
*
*"You must have shot an awefull lot of tigers sir"
"Yes... I used a machine gun!"
* *
**
*
Old December 21st 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Michaelgoround

Ok, so my cranks still stripped(rotating only helped for awhile).
Soooo.. is there anything short of shimming that I can do to fix it?
Could I also get a link to a good tutorila on shimming?

--
Michaelgoround
Old December 22nd 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wickedbob

I've heard of putting solder between the gaps. I know nothing about it,
so do some research, it might work.

--
wickedbob

R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG
'Add wickedbob to your ignore list' (http://tinyurl.com/3dfrko).

Ducttape wrote:
haha! I'm rubbing off on people again....

My posts don't count they came from MR...would they matter anyways?
Old December 22nd 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicycle-Emele

Is it possible to deflate my tire and rotate it while it is still on the
wheel. I really dont feel like taking it off. Its so annoying. Everytime
I take the tire off I scratch paint off the rim.

--
Unicycle-Emele

Any unicyclist in Westchester County, NY 'pm '
(http://tinyurl.com/6xu626)me.
'My video' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cvBUcQ9QL_8)
'Other Vid' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_j_UFiv3sY)
'newest vid' (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ReFi44k2lgY)

maestro8 wrote:
I'd rather watch you gas, brake, dip, dip.

Old December 22nd 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Michaelgoround

Unicycle-Emele;1154936 wrote:
Is it possible to deflate my tire and rotate it while it is still on the
wheel. I really dont feel like taking it off. Its so annoying. Everytime
I take the tire off I scratch paint off the rim.

Just use 'these.' (http://www.danscomp.com/811213.php?cat=TOOLS) Their
plastic so they won't scratch the rim or you could remove the cranks and
rotate them.

--
Michaelgoround
Old December 22nd 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Plastic will rip through a few coats of spray paint too. lol

Its easy to deflate the wheel and twist the tire. Just hold the valve
so the tube stays in place. Fill it up just a little bit so you can
reposition the tube first, then pump it up to your usual pressure.

--
Jerrick

'*Bought it!*' (http://tinyurl.com/6ywusa)
*Press Alt+F4 to fix post
stretch.*[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]JC~