Help Needed: Off centered HUB

Old December 21st 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

Default Help Needed: Off centered HUB

Hello

I've searched the forum for problems like this and haven't found any. I
searched for:

"off center hub", "misaligned hub" and got no problem similar to mine.

If there is another thread like this, sorry.

So here it is:

My hub is off centered and so the tire is closer to the frame on one
side than the other and the same goes for the cranks.

How can I fix this? How much do you think this affects riding? I
normally have a slight idea of off centeredness while riding. But end up
adjusting my seat, so I don't know.

Thanks!

Photos bellow:

[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_01.jpg]

[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_02.jpg]

[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_05.jpg]

[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_06.jpg]

[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_07.jpg]

--
rui
Old December 21st 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Your wheel is out of true, you need to true it.

Search for wheel truing or take it to your local bike shop (often
abreviated as LBS) and have them do it.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old December 21st 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

So that's the name. Out of true! Hahaha, it's funny.

OK!

Thank you very much, going to search!

--
rui
Old December 21st 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Smilymarco

The bearing on the left side (first pic) slipped out a bit, its not hte
wheel that is out of true.

--
Smilymarco

'Municycle.com' (http://www.municycle.com)
Lesen - Denken - Posten
Old December 21st 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

I forgot to mention. But the distance from wheel to the frame is
constant.

For what I understood, truing it is not what I have.

The wheel is trued. Its just the hub that is off centered.

--
rui
Old December 21st 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kevinalexandersmith

That small gap of shinny metal between the bearings and the spokes in
the top picture is where the problem is I think. My nimbus 29er
doesn’t have that. The bearing shouldn’t be up against the
crank like that. Will the bearing come off if you remove the crank?

Both sides of mine look like the second picture.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. Has UDC seen these pics?

edit: yeah, if the distance to frame is constant the wheel is probably
true. That bearing is where the problem is.

--
kevinalexandersmith

http://www.youtube.com/user/KevinAlexanderSmith
Old December 21st 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

kevinalexandersmith;1154329 wrote:

Both sides of mine look like the second picture.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. Has UDC seen these pics?

Ha! You where of great help! All this time I thought it should look
like the first picture!

I see, the ball bearing is way off I think it has to go in. Damn. I
hate removing the cranks!

Haven't talked to them because I bought this unicycle second hand.

Thanks all of you.

Now, what is the safest way of fixing this?

--
rui
Old December 21st 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

rui;1154331 wrote:

Now, what is the safest way of fixing this?

remove the crank and find a metal tube that will slide over the axle
and touches only the inner metal ring of the bearing (try a seatpost).
Gently tap the bearing back in to place with a hammer. If the problem
reoccurs try some bearing sleeve retainer on there.

--
kington99

Dave

Old December 21st 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnicycleJuggler

If one bearing is in the right place, against the axle spacer, and the
other is way off and not against the correct spacer then doesn't that
show that the bearing holders in the frame are wider apart than the
bearings? This could either mean that the frame has 'spread', meaning
that the legs have bent away from each other, or the bearings were never
spaced correctly.

To get the wheel to centre properly the bearings will both need to be
spaced the same distance from the hub. It may be that you need to put a
new axle spacer on each side of the axle between the hub and bearings.

Hope this helps.

--
UnicycleJuggler

'*Unicycle
Vids On
Vimeo*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/groups/uni)
Old December 21st 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

UnicycleJuggler;1154375 wrote:
If one bearing is in the right place, against the axle spacer, and the
other is way off and not against the correct spacer then doesn't that
show that the bearing holders in the frame are wider apart than the
bearings? This could either mean that the frame has 'spread', meaning
that the legs have bent away from each other, or the bearings were never
spaced correctly.

To get the wheel to centre properly the bearings will both need to be
spaced the same distance from the hub. It may be that you need to put a
new axle spacer on each side of the axle between the hub and bearings.

Hope this helps.

Normally when mounting the frame on the bearings, I have to open the
frame, and force it to enter the bearings. I'm new to this, and so it
didn't seem odd, but now I see the problem.

Thanks! Going to try it today!

--
rui

Help needed! feel the light Unicycling 18 October 23rd 07 11:04 PM
Help needed! hectorqlucero Unicycling 2 June 14th 07 12:13 AM
Wheel/Tire not centered? Smeltz Unicycling 14 July 27th 06 05:22 AM
Wheel/Tire not centered? harper Unicycling 0 July 20th 06 07:19 PM
Spinergy front axle not centered, cog rubs on frame... Glen Hendry Techniques 4 February 4th 04 06:19 AM