Flipping a chain ring on a granny gear to foil developing chain suck

Old December 25th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

Default Flipping a chain ring on a granny gear to foil developing chain suck

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:54:41 -0800 (PST), thirty-six wrote:

On 24 Dec, 17:37, _
wrote:
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:29:01 -0800 (PST), thirty-six wrote:
On 23 Dec, 19:56, _
wrote:

a) if that (bottoming out) were the case then keeping a nut and screw
together would not prevent it;

Keeps successfully working pairs together.

a) all pairs work; and

if you mix them up, sometimes they don't and you lose them on the
road.

But you have already stated that the cause of you loosing your bolts is
unknown to you - so you cannot state that they were lost because they did
not "work together". Indeed, when you tightened them you thought they were
fine - surely an experienced cyclist such as yourself, who knows such
things as

a) tying and soldering spokes prevents wheels from failing;
b) spokes that cross and are not soldered will wear deep gooves;
c) the majority of cyclists have exceeded 60 mph; and
d) it is not permitted to cycle in the UK with tyres that have no tread.

Of course, if you were wrong about those four, maybe you are also wrong
about the reason your bolts fell out.
Old December 26th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

wrote:

[...]

of course you're an idiot.
Old December 27th 09, 09:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ric

On Dec 24, 4:54*pm, thirty-six wrote:

wrote:

a) if that (bottoming out) were the case then keeping a nut and screw
together would not prevent it;

Keeps successfully working pairs together.

a) all pairs work; and

if you mix them up, sometimes they don't and you lose them on the
road. *Using a threadlock or wire although not addressing the cause
does prevent the loss of the fixings. *The loosewmned fixings can be
swapped around until they stick.

b) you are "...not certain of the precise cause because those bolts
(you)'ve lost, (you)'ve lost."

b) you seem to have slid from "do this or else" to "I'm sure of the cause";
and

Misquote.

True - from "Do this or else" to (as above) "I'm NOT sure of the cause"..
Thanks for pointing out that out; it does your argument no favour.

Misquote again.

b) it's a poor workman that blames his equipment.

learning the alphabet before posting may help.

On usenet, attacking spelling and similar keybpoard errors of a post is
often an indicator that the replying poster has no other support.

never try to teach a pig to sing. it wastes your time and it annoys
the pig.
Chainsuck occurs when a chain is worn.
Old December 27th 09, 12:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I suppose I should know better - Trevor's wacky ideas have been
floating around long enough that most readers will recognize yet another
one for what it is. He's not shy about promoting them, that's for sure.

Old December 27th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

_ aka J. Taylor wrote:

Yes, I suppose I should know better - Trevor's wacky ideas have been
floating around long enough that most readers will recognize yet another
one for what it is. He's not shy about promoting them, that's for sure.

Maybe Trevor's ideas work on his home planet.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 27th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

ric nolastname wrote:
[...]
never try to teach a pig to sing. it wastes your time and it annoys
the pig.
Chainsuck occurs when a chain is worn.

I had chain suck on my MTB with an almost new chain after bashing the
chainrings on a log crossing. The chain suck went away after I replaced
the granny ring.

Old December 28th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
ric nolastname wrote:
[...]
never try to teach a pig to sing. it wastes your time and it annoys
the pig.
Chainsuck occurs when a chain is worn.

I had chain suck on my MTB with an almost new chain after bashing the
chainrings on a log crossing. The chain suck went away after I replaced
the granny ring.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Tom,
Woulda thought the big ring, though.
Kerry

Old December 28th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 27 Dec, 15:18, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
ric nolastname wrote:
[...]
never try to teach a pig to sing. it wastes your time and it annoys
the pig.
Chainsuck occurs when a chain is worn.

I had chain suck on my MTB with an almost new chain after bashing the
chainrings on a log crossing. The chain suck went away after I replaced
the granny ring.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

So did you replace it with a full set of dentures or another gummy
ring?
Old December 28th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

ric nolastname wrote:
[...]
never try to teach a pig to sing. it wastes your time and it annoys
the pig.
Chainsuck occurs when a chain is worn.

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Woulda thought the big ring, though.

It's almost always the smallest one which exhibits 'suck'.

Middle rings wear out more commonly because they are
generally used most, but those exhibit truncated teeth and
the chain simply slides over the stumps, doesn't 'stick'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 29th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Andrew Muzi wrote:
[...]

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Woulda thought the big ring, though.

It's almost always the smallest one which exhibits 'suck'.
[...]

Exactly - I only had chain suck when using the granny ring while climbing.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Installing 3rd (granny) chain ring? DaveC Techniques 2 September 7th 09 08:31 AM
Chain skipping on large chain ring. Xyzzy Techniques 72 August 20th 05 03:13 PM
chain, chain ring grig Techniques 12 April 24th 05 10:05 PM
triple chain ring alpine saves hi gear chain grind? [email protected] Techniques 0 February 16th 05 05:14 PM
Sora chain ring "dropping off" going from large to small ring? Yuri Budilov Techniques 18 September 7th 04 03:14 PM