Ok, what is with clipless or clips?

Old November 3rd 04, 08:51 PM
dgk

Default Ok, what is with clipless or clips?

Ok, newbie pedal talk. I have normal old flat pedals. My foot is free
to push or come off as it wishes. My one experience with that cage
that holds my feet to the pedals is not a good one. I managed to break
an ankle when I couldn't get my foot out in time to stop the bike from
falling over. I finally got it out, but it would have been better if I
just had fallen into the mud.

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?
Old November 3rd 04, 09:01 PM
do not spam

In article ,
dgk wrote:
I finally got it out, but it would have been better if I
just had fallen into the mud.

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?

Clipless are easier to get out of than toe clips.
Clipless are also much more expensive.
Either will give you better performance than nothing at all.
Old November 3rd 04, 09:14 PM
Benjamin Lewis

do not spam wrote:

In article ,
dgk wrote:
I finally got it out, but it would have been better if I
just had fallen into the mud.

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?

Clipless are easier to get out of than toe clips.
Clipless are also much more expensive.

Not necessarily, if you don't count the cost of the shoes (I bought SPD
compatible shoes before I decided to go with clipless pedals, just for the
benefit of the stiff soles. If you buy cycling shoes that are similar in
cost to your regular shoes, I think it's valid to ignore shoe cost).

My clipless pedals (Wellgo SPD compatible) cost $28 CDN. You could
probably find a pair of pedals + clips + straps for less than this, but not
by much for the same quality.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
Old November 3rd 04, 09:58 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:14:37 -0800, Benjamin Lewis
wrote:

do not spam wrote:

In article ,
dgk wrote:
I finally got it out, but it would have been better if I
just had fallen into the mud.

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?

Clipless are easier to get out of than toe clips.
Clipless are also much more expensive.

Not necessarily, if you don't count the cost of the shoes (I bought SPD
compatible shoes before I decided to go with clipless pedals, just for the
benefit of the stiff soles. If you buy cycling shoes that are similar in
cost to your regular shoes, I think it's valid to ignore shoe cost).

My clipless pedals (Wellgo SPD compatible) cost $28 CDN. You could
probably find a pair of pedals + clips + straps for less than this, but not
by much for the same quality.

Think about it, though. You get an inexpensive pedal and an inexpensive
shoe and it might work for you, but for most newbies, I say get solid
middle-of-the-line shoes, be prepared to pay 50-80 bucks. You -do- get what
you pay for. You'll presumably be using these for 20-30 days per month and
you want something that's durable, functional and comfortable. You go cheap
on the shoe and I'd wonder if you'd not regret that. You also want them to
look cool. Again, spending a lot of time in them.

On the pedals, don't get the very bottom of the line, go up one and get the
SPD M520. Solid performers and something that you're gonna be depending on
quite heavily.

Remember if you spread the cost out over many months of use, it's dirt
cheap. In addition you get a performance benefit, and about the largest
difference you'd notice going from plain pedals to clipless. Your pedal
stye and options even expands, imo.

-B

Old November 3rd 04, 10:46 PM
Benjamin Lewis

wrote:

Not necessarily, if you don't count the cost of the shoes (I bought SPD
compatible shoes before I decided to go with clipless pedals, just for
the benefit of the stiff soles. If you buy cycling shoes that are
similar in cost to your regular shoes, I think it's valid to ignore shoe
cost).

My clipless pedals (Wellgo SPD compatible) cost $28 CDN. You could
probably find a pair of pedals + clips + straps for less than this, but
not by much for the same quality.

Think about it, though. You get an inexpensive pedal and an inexpensive
shoe and it might work for you, but for most newbies, I say get solid
middle-of-the-line shoes, be prepared to pay 50-80 bucks.

I'd recommend using shoes in approximately this price range regardless of
whether you go with clipless or just regular pedals. Thus, I don't believe
shoe price is a drawback to clipless pedals, although convenience may be
for some people.

On the pedals, don't get the very bottom of the line, go up one and get
the SPD M520. Solid performers and something that you're gonna be
depending on quite heavily.

I have depended on my pedals quite heavily. I've used them for commuting
and for randonneuring, in all sorts of weather, over thousands of
kilometers. I have three pairs (for each of my bikes), and have not had a
single problem with any of them. (I've only used them for road riding, so
I can't say whether they make good MTB pedals or not).

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1099521388887

or

http://tinyurl.com/3sxte

Remember if you spread the cost out over many months of use, it's dirt
cheap. In addition you get a performance benefit, and about the largest
difference you'd notice going from plain pedals to clipless. Your pedal
stye and options even expands, imo.

What performance benefit would I get? It's true that I've never tried
other clipless pedals, but that is because I can't imagine how they would
improve anything for me. (Well, occasionally I don't clip in on the first
try, but for me this has not been a significant issue, even where I have to
stop fairly frequently).

Old November 3rd 04, 11:09 PM
maxo

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:14:37 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

My clipless pedals (Wellgo SPD compatible) cost $28 CDN

I ride those, well, rebranded as the Nashbar house brand. cost 18US on
sale and function just as well as the 60 dollar "entry-level" shimano
variant. For that price, you can afford to put them on multiple bikes.
That pedal is also sold under the Ritchey brand name. FYI, on MTB forums,
the pedal gets very high ratings--no complaints really.

There's tons of shoes on sale at the on-line shops for 30USD now that
winter is coming. Yeah they say you shouldn't buy shoes online, but I know
my size and you can always send them back.

My current shoe pedal combo was $52 and rides like a dream.

BTW, I wiped out on a wet bridge a week ago with the tension set very
high--no problems getting free.

Old November 4th 04, 12:06 AM
PK

"Benjamin Lewis" wrote in message
Badger South wrote:

What performance benefit would I get? It's true that I've never tried
other clipless pedals, but that is because I can't imagine how they would
improve anything for me. (Well, occasionally I don't clip in on the first
try, but for me this has not been a significant issue, even where I have
stop fairly frequently).

There is an old English joke about trying to explain Cricket to an American,
all about batsmen going out when they are in until they are out then they
come in, and a batsman who is in but caught out must then come in etc etc.

I'm reminded of that joke everytime the subject of clipping into clipless
pedals crops up!

You've got to admit, it is daft terminology! The only pedals with clips are
clipless while clipped pedals have straps and no clips.......

pk

Old November 4th 04, 12:14 AM
do not spam

In article ,
PK wrote:
You've got to admit, it is daft terminology! The only pedals with clips are
clipless while clipped pedals have straps and no clips.......

Clipped pedals have visible toe clips and straps.
Clipless pedals have invisible clips.
Old November 4th 04, 12:46 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:46:28 -0800, ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Thus, I don't believe
shoe price is a drawback to clipless pedals, although convenience may be
for some people.

And style, man. Don't forget _style_.
--
zk

Toe clips! hell-on-wheel Unicycling 18 May 22nd 04 11:45 PM
Advice please: newbies and clipless pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 43 November 19th 03 10:42 PM
Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse... Destroy Mountain Biking 19 August 13th 03 06:35 PM