Pashley Bikes and Recumbents

Old April 2nd 05, 03:02 PM
Brian Millson

Default Pashley Bikes and Recumbents

I have a slight back problem which affects my balance so riding a standard
bike is not without its challenges. I have been considering getting either
a Pashly tricycle or a Recumbent tricycle. Having used stationary
recumbents in the gym, I find them to be uncomfortable so I will probably
opt for the Pashley TR-1 (the price is more attractive too).

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/co..._1/splash.html

Anyone had any experience with the company?

Do they make good bikes?

Brian Millson

Old April 2nd 05, 04:54 PM
Danny Colyer

Brian Millson wrote:
I have been considering getting either
a Pashly tricycle or a Recumbent tricycle.

It appears they may have stopped making the PDQ3 (not listed on their
website, anyway, and it /is/ listed on a defunct trikes page that I
found [1]), but if you can find one second hand then you can avoid the
decision by getting a Pashley recumbent tricycle.

Having used stationary
recumbents in the gym, I find them to be uncomfortable

To state that you find recumbents uncomfortable without having tried
even one of the enormous variety available (stationary machines in the
gym don't count) seems ludicrous. I recommend getting yourself to a
dealer and trying a few out. If you can tell us whereabouts in the
country you are, you should soon get some useful dealer recommendations.

Anyone had any experience with the company?

I've never owned a Pashley bike, I /do/ own a Pashley unicycle.

Do they make good bikes?

By reputation, yes. (Their unicycles used to be crap, but improved
about 10 years ago when they got unicyclists involved in designing them).

[1]URL:http://home.mindspring.com/~kb7mxu/trikes7.htm

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old April 2nd 05, 05:13 PM
Brian Millson

For the next couple of years I will be living on the German side of the
Dutch/German border. I occasionally be in the UK but just for the odd
meeting and on the plane later in the day.

I will give a recumbent a try but I have some doubts as the sociability of
it as my main reason for getting one is to go cycling with my wife and
daughters-a recumbent may put me lower than I want to be!

I have heard that the Pashley recumbents (only available second-hand) were
well-built but a right pig to move.

Brian

Old April 2nd 05, 07:34 PM
Danny Colyer

Brian Millson wrote:
For the next couple of years I will be living on the German side of the
Dutch/German border.

I can't give you any helpful suggestions then, but someone else here
will probably be able too. Pete? Roos? Or ask on
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

I will give a recumbent a try but I have some doubts as the sociability of
it as my main reason for getting one is to go cycling with my wife and
daughters-a recumbent may put me lower than I want to be!

That's a valid concern. If you get something relatively high (like my
Street Machine) then it's unlikely to be a problem, but trikes tend to
be somewhat lower.

Some are higher than others. I believe the Hase trikes are relatively high:
URL:http://www.recumbent-trikes-bicycles.com/hase-kettwiesel.htm

Or the Scootertrike may suit you well:
URL:http://www.scooterbike.com/scootertrikes-e.html
It's reviewed in the latest Velovision, if you're interested:
URL:http://velovision.co.uk/ (I don't think you'll find the review on
the website, you'll have to get the paper magazine).

Or, better still, get recumbents for the wife and kids ;-)

I have heard that the Pashley recumbents (only available second-hand) were
well-built but a right pig to move.

TBH I know next to nothing about the PDQ3. I didn't even test ride the
PDQ - sitting on it was enough to persuade me to move onto the next
machine without wasting my limited testing time for that day. My next
door neighbour rides a 2-wheeled PDQ and is very happy with it, but I'm
sure the handling of the PDQ3 would be very different.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old April 2nd 05, 10:32 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Brian Millson
') wrote:

I have a slight back problem which affects my balance so riding a
standard
bike is not without its challenges. I have been considering getting
either
a Pashly tricycle or a Recumbent tricycle.

An upright tricycle probably isn't going to help. Because the centre of
gravity is high and the vehicle does not lean, you have to lean your
body strongly into corners to compensate, otherwise you _will_ capsize
the vehicle - unless you only ever ride very slowly. This means more
back movement, not less.

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.
Old April 2nd 05, 10:38 PM
Brian Millson

Danny,

Good advice but Her Indoors freaked out at £500 for the Pashley, I am afraid
that £1,500 or £2K is out of the question.

Brian

Old April 3rd 05, 08:54 AM
Alan Braggins

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Brian Millson
') wrote:

I have a slight back problem which affects my balance so riding a
standard
bike is not without its challenges. I have been considering getting
either
a Pashly tricycle or a Recumbent tricycle.

An upright tricycle probably isn't going to help. Because the centre of
gravity is high and the vehicle does not lean, you have to lean your
body strongly into corners to compensate, otherwise you _will_ capsize
the vehicle - unless you only ever ride very slowly.

I have seen people who ride ever so slowly because their back or
balance problems make it easier than walking, so it isn't completely
out of the question.
On the other hand a very low centre of gravity can make getting on
and off a low recumbent difficult for people with some back problems.
Something like an Anthrotech or a Thorax Easy Rider might be a good
compromise - not as fast as a low trike, less leaning than an upright.
Old April 4th 05, 09:15 AM
Another group member

Hello, I have a quite bad back problem. Following many years of thinking
about a recumbent I purchased a new PDQ 3 from Pashley. The quality and
service was great. Unfortunately back problems are not helped but
exacerbated by recumbents.I was lucky that I omly used the bike for a few
days trying to get it to work for me. Further injury resulted. I sold this
as quickly as I could.. I have not recovered any of my prior to its use
ability and regret ever trying this method. Of course all back problems are
not the same so try if you must but before buying think very carefully.
Regards,
John.

"Brian Millson" wrote in message
Simon,

I want it for fairly gentle family rides along bike paths out in the
country
so speed nor high speed cornering is not essential. Since I am in Germany
the Anthrotec or Thorax Easy Rider might be an option, although the price
is
rather high, I might be able to get a used one. The Newton conversions
look
interesting too as does the Cyclon.

Brian Millson

On 3/4/05 09:54, in article ,
"Alan
Braggins" wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Brian Millson

Old April 4th 05, 06:58 PM
Danny Colyer

Another group member wrote:
I purchased a new PDQ 3 from Pashley. The quality and
service was great. Unfortunately back problems are not helped but
exacerbated by recumbents.

Such has not been my experience.

I have not recovered any of my prior to its use
ability and regret ever trying this method.

I'm sorry to read that. Have you been to a physiotherapist? Whatever,
I recommend "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.

Of course all back problems are
not the same

Quite. Mine have all been to do with a prolapsed disk in the lumbar region.

so try if you must but before buying think very carefully.

Absolutely. It's important to try a variety of machines and to do your
research. Good rear suspension is particularly important if you have
back problems, to protect your spine from road shock.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Truss instead of tube in bicycle frame? Rado bladteth Rzeznicki Techniques 55 November 7th 04 08:37 AM
A long weekend in the Land of Bikes (long, includes some recumbentcontent) Peter Clinch UK 2 February 17th 04 12:35 PM
ok, hands up jim beam Techniques 58 September 13th 03 03:00 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM