Rolling hop help

Old June 7th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Rolling hop help

Hey all.

How do i build up my rolling hop height. I can jump up a curb but that
is it and also how do i measure the distance so i can get my
revolutions right for the jump.

--
nathanj

Nathan J
Flipin out in Oz!
nathanj's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12282

Old June 7th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

this movie.

'Hopping' (http://tinyurl.com/j3p4b)

Look at 'this' (http://tinyurl.com/lzxym)

Then, look at 'this.' (http://tinyurl.com/zx9hz)

Not much more to say really, just look at the pictures and the videos,
and you'll get it, you really want to swing the tire in front of you
and tuck it as much as possible to get as much height and distance as
you can.

For aligning up the pedals, it should mater to much on curbs cause you
have plenty of room to swerve or ride along the curb a little until you
are in the right position to jump. If you wanting to align for a bigger
jump though, get to the right position on your uni, so you at the spot
where you will be jumping form, then ride backwards until you have a
good run, Or, you can get to the spot you want to jump at, do a 180,
ride to get a good run, do another 180 so your facing the object, then
ride towards it.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Old June 7th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

if you know how to hop it is fairly simple. come riding and do a hop.
when you comedown just continue pedaling

its rather simple once youve got the consept

good luck

--
unicycle dave

unicycle for Christ
unicycle dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10416

Old July 28th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vuniw

Jerrick wrote:
[...]

What do you mean by tuck when you are doing this?

--
vuniw
vuniw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12772

Old July 28th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

nathanj wrote:
how do i measure the distance so i can get my revolutions right for the
jump.

As a general rule of thumb, measure the height of the object you want
to hop onto, and start that distance away from the object. If you want
to hop onto a 2 ft tall object, start 2 ft away. You may find after
some time that you'll want to start closer or further than the "general
rule", but it's a good starting point.

Once you've measured your starting point, mount at the starting point
with your pedals in "hopping position", ride backwards in a straight
line from the starting point, just a few rotations. Note that you
should ride backwards and not just push your uni backwards 'cause it
won't give you the same distance (you squash your tire when riding
which makes it behave as if it's a smaller diameter). Now you're ready
to roll!

vuniw wrote:
What do you mean by tuck when you are doing this?

When you take off from the ground and you want to get some good height
/ distance out of your hop, you'll need to lift your wheel a lot. You
can only lift it so high if you just pull up on the handle. The "tuck"
is the act of folding your body in half, at the waist. It's kind of
like a forward pike in gymnastics / diving (see definition 6 at
http://www.answers.com/pike) While the upper half of your body bends
forward (as if you're bowing to an audience) the lower half of your
body will make the same motion: the wheel will come up off the ground,
not straight up, but up and forward at the same time... as if you're
kicking the wheel forward.

Does this make sense? Check out some pictures and videos of rolling
hops and you'll get it... it's a much different feeling from your
standard side hop. You can practice the tuck when doing forward hops,
if you want to get the feeling without rolling...

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old July 29th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

Just jump over anything that's in your way (leaves, pebbles, sidewalk
squares, infants, you get the idea). Do it until you can jump stuff
without even thinking about it. The technique will develop itself (I
know it sounds weird, but it's true. I taught myself to rolling hop
unconsciously by just jumping over targets as they appeared).

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex