Is ARBR dead and gone?

Old December 31st 08, 05:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Default Is ARBR dead and gone?

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:Aa2dndgZIYjBaMfUnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

The burden of kicking ass weighs heavily on me. It may be that I will
occasionally kick ass that does not deserve to be kicked. I am thinking of
Jeff Grippe of New York State. I feel badly that I treated him so short.
Just because he was a smart ass New York Jew was no reason for me to kick
his ass so hard. We can't all be humble and self effacing like me. On the
other hand, to kick JimmyMac's dumb ass is ever a delight. I simply can't
stand arrogance! Either get humble or get lost.

Please don't worry about me old friend. I do not feel "kicked".

On another note, Tucson is not the place for me. It gets very cold at night.
There were some nights where it was colder in Tucson then it was in New
York. This would not be an escape. Even though the days can get quite warm
and I'd probably never see snow (unless I went up into the mountains), this
would not be a good solution.

Next stop, Austin TX. I have no idea how good or bad the cycling is there.
It is not a small city by any means. They do have a lot of my kind of
peolple there, however (and by that I mean liberals). The temperature is
more moderate than Tucson and generally warmer than NY.

We'll see.

Happy New Year Ed.

Jeff

Old January 2nd 09, 07:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I have to laugh. Yes, the desert areas of the Southwest get cold at night. I
found that out when I was wandering that area and camping out every night.
Once that sun goes down, it can get quite chilly quite fast. But the low
desert (Sonoran) is not nearly so bad in that respect as the high desert
(Mojave).

My brother spent some years working in Texas and he just hates Houston and
most of Texas to boot. Austin is probably the best part of the state, but
still, Texas is Texas. By and large, Texans are just barely civilized. Why
not think about places like coastal South Carolina. Of course Florida is
ideal if you want year around warmth, and you do not necessarily have to go
to the far south of the state either. I rather like North Florida which
still remains part of the South culturally. The main problem with Florida is
it is not ideal for cycling. It is too crowded and the roads are too
congested. But North Florida has some nice pockets of sanity. Why not
investigate St. Augustine?

We'll see.

Happy New Year Ed.

Likewise!

Best Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 2nd 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:SsKdnVMALaq08sPUnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@prairiewave. com...

My brother spent some years working in Texas and he just hates Houston and
most of Texas to boot. Austin is probably the best part of the state, but
still, Texas is Texas. By and large, Texans are just barely civilized. Why
not think about places like coastal South Carolina. Of course Florida is
ideal if you want year around warmth, and you do not necessarily have to
go to the far south of the state either. I rather like North Florida which
still remains part of the South culturally. The main problem with Florida
is it is not ideal for cycling. It is too crowded and the roads are too
congested. But North Florida has some nice pockets of sanity. Why not
investigate St. Augustine?

My Dad lives in Northern FL about an hour from Tallahassee so I've been
there many times. The climate just isn't to my liking. My In-Laws used to
live in Myrtle Beach so I've been there quite a bit as well. Its a great
place if you play golf but otherwise, not so hot.

I've also been to Austin and there are many things there that appeal to me
although cycling isn't one of them. I have some friends theres. There is an
Ethical Society there. There is a great music scene. I think I'm going to
take a trip over my son's winter break. It will be mid February so that
should be the heart of winter.

As you said, We'll see.

Any NG readers out there have any comments about the cycling?

Old January 3rd 09, 04:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
news

[...]

The Southeast can have high humidity on summer days. I never liked it much
when I was young, but I think I could live with it now at my age (72). When
I was young I much preferred the desert Southwest because of all the
wilderness that still exists there.

I've also been to Austin and there are many things there that appeal to me
although cycling isn't one of them. I have some friends theres. There is
an Ethical Society there. There is a great music scene. I think I'm going
to take a trip over my son's winter break. It will be mid February so that
should be the heart of winter.

As you said, We'll see.

Any NG readers out there have any comments about the cycling?

Austin should be good for cycling since it is mainly a university town. But
young people overall can be a royal pain in the ass. I much prefer to be
around older folks, no matter how cranky they get. Stay the hell out of
South Texas unless you are Hispanic.

Old January 3rd 09, 02:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

On Dec 31 2008, 11:37*am, "Jeff Grippe" wrote:
[...]

Jeff ...Texas has a bad reputation as being among the worst states in
which to to cycle. Four states (California, Florida, New York, and
Texas) accounted for 42 percent of bicycle deaths in 1997. An average
of 44 cyclists are killed each year in Texas. In Austin, an average
of 2.4 cyclists die each year. Of the 180 cases in which the police
noted that motorist-related crash factors contributing to the
collision, citations were issued to motorists only 35% of the time
(1994-96). In 1998, where drivers failed to yield the right of way,
citations were issued in only 14 cases.

We'll see.

Happy New Year Ed.

Jeff

Is ARBR dead? JimmyMac Social Issues 8 May 23rd 08 02:30 PM
Is ARBR dead? JimmyMac Techniques 8 May 23rd 08 02:30 PM