'creaking' noises

Old June 28th 04, 04:17 PM
Jim Boyer

Default 'creaking' noises

I have a Fuji aluminum bike with a carbon fiber fork and am having constant
creaking sounds from the handlebar area when going over bumps and cracks in
the pavement. Just pressing down on the hoods and releasing pressure while
standing over the bike causes the creaking sounds. I can eliminate them by
loosening the 2 bolts that hold the stem to the steerer tube and tightening
the star-nut bolt, then retightening the stem bolts. However, this only
lasts about 10 or so miles. Nothing is ever really loose and there is no
play in the headset or spacers, etc. I've had an LBS retighten everything to
spec a couple times but the noise comes back. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

jb

Old June 28th 04, 06:26 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Jim Boyer wrote:
I have a Fuji aluminum bike with a carbon fiber fork and am having constant
creaking sounds from the handlebar area when going over bumps and cracks in
the pavement. Just pressing down on the hoods and releasing pressure while
standing over the bike causes the creaking sounds. I can eliminate them by
loosening the 2 bolts that hold the stem to the steerer tube and tightening
the star-nut bolt, then retightening the stem bolts. However, this only
lasts about 10 or so miles. Nothing is ever really loose and there is no
play in the headset or spacers, etc. I've had an LBS retighten everything to
spec a couple times but the noise comes back. Anyone have any ideas?

What's the steer tube made of?
Old June 28th 04, 06:38 PM
Scott

Paul Southworth wrote:
In article ,
Jim Boyer wrote:

I have a Fuji aluminum bike with a carbon fiber fork and am having constant
creaking sounds from the handlebar area when going over bumps and cracks in
the pavement. Just pressing down on the hoods and releasing pressure while
standing over the bike causes the creaking sounds. I can eliminate them by
loosening the 2 bolts that hold the stem to the steerer tube and tightening
the star-nut bolt, then retightening the stem bolts. However, this only
lasts about 10 or so miles. Nothing is ever really loose and there is no
play in the headset or spacers, etc. I've had an LBS retighten everything to
spec a couple times but the noise comes back. Anyone have any ideas?

What's the steer tube made of?

mooolybdenum?

Scott

Old June 29th 04, 02:21 AM
Dan Daniel

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:17:06 -0500, "Jim Boyer"
wrote:

I have a Fuji aluminum bike with a carbon fiber fork and am having constant
creaking sounds from the handlebar area when going over bumps and cracks in
the pavement. Just pressing down on the hoods and releasing pressure while
standing over the bike causes the creaking sounds. I can eliminate them by
loosening the 2 bolts that hold the stem to the steerer tube and tightening
the star-nut bolt, then retightening the stem bolts. However, this only
lasts about 10 or so miles. Nothing is ever really loose and there is no
play in the headset or spacers, etc. I've had an LBS retighten everything to
spec a couple times but the noise comes back. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

jb

Greasing the handlebars where they are held by the stem? I had
creaking like you describe this weekend after making an adjustment to
the handlebars. I loosened them up, slid the sideways, put a light
coat of grease on the area under the clamp, and retightened. All gone.

Then again, this is pretty common practice, so the bike shop should
have picked it up.
Old June 29th 04, 04:33 AM
Frank Krygowski

Scott wrote: