'nteresting link RE>Mario Pantani, rip

Old October 20th 04, 03:29 PM
Dave Abraham

Default 'nteresting link RE>Mario Pantani, rip

http://www.economist.co.uk/people/di...ory_id=2459045
Old October 20th 04, 07:44 PM
Rick Warner

(Dave Abraham) wrote in message . com...
http://www.economist.co.uk/people/di...ory_id=2459045

Interesting. Will have to see how history perceives Pantani in
10/20/... years.

An aside. In late June I was at the church of the Madonna di
Ghisallo in Magreglio, the 'home' of the patron saint of bicycling.
The church is a cycling museum, at least until the new cycling museum
is completed next door to the small chapel, with bikes ridden to
victory by Bartali, Coppi, Motta, and others on display along with
many yellow and pink jerseys signed by those who earned them. The
altar is blocked by a floor-to-ceiling metal gate, presumably to keep
ne'er do wells from stealing the Madonna which hangs in front of the
altar. And there, sitting on the altar this summer, under the
Madonna, was a framed 8x10 photo of Pantani, the homage to him by the
keepers of the shrine.

- rick
Old October 21st 04, 03:01 PM
SlowRider

(Dave Abraham) wrote in message . com...
http://www.economist.co.uk/people/di...ory_id=2459045

Interesting. I've always wondered how people handled such early peaks
in life. It might be interesting (if morbid) to look at the suicide
rate among Olympic medalists, many of whom are pretty young when they
win. (I did find an article which states that the suicide rate among
former athletes is roughly six times the national average.)

Myself, I've assiduously avoided peaking too early. ;-)

JR
Old October 22nd 04, 03:11 PM
Hunrobe

(Dave Abraham)

wrote:

http://www.economist.co.uk/people/di...ory_id=2459045

A good article. Anyone interested in a more detailed description of Pantani on
and off the bike should check the April '04 issue of CycleSport. No excuses but
no demonizing either.

Regards,
Bob Hunt