Glowing helmet-band?

Old October 30th 04, 04:49 AM
Andrew Reddaway

Default Glowing helmet-band?

Andrew Reddaway wrote:

tony f wrote:

Electroluminescent wire.

Neon look, flexible, come in a variety of colours. Available at
Jaycar on closeout special at the moment (eg, $10 for the personal
(wearable) version - 1.5m long, powered by 2AA batteries and an
inverter, cool colours, flash or steady mode, gets noticed wrapped
around a helmet) , or many places online have it
http://www.beingseen.com/ for example - they also have the
flexible sheets.

Tony F
who may have 1 or 6 personal EL cables

Cool! I knew there must be something out there that would do what I
want... I'll drop into Jaycar when I can - thanks tony f.

I got the $10 EL wire from Jaycar - works VERY well. The 1m length
goes around the edge of my helmet and right over the top. It's thin
but still very visible. I've attached 2 AA batteries in their little
plastic case with rubber bands at the back of the helmet, and the wire
with clear tape. 2 AA batteries are claimed to last 45 hours. The
orange colour matches my helmet - noice.

Well, if you see me on the roads at night, you'll know it's me now :-)
Old October 30th 04, 01:25 PM
cfsmtb

hippy Wrote:

cfsmtb has something like this. It's a flat strap kinda
thing that cycles colours I think? Or maybe it just
flashed?

hippy

This what I've got:
http://tinyurl.com/4k846

Avaliable from most LBS's - purchased mine fro
http://www.onecer.net/abbotsfordcycles/ Approx $2

--
cfsmtb

Old October 31st 04, 06:28 PM
kingsley

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:11:09 +0000, Andrew Reddaway wrote:

This would be visible from all angles, at most drivers' eye level over
bonnets and through car windows. What do you ppl reckon? Does
something like this exist?

There's that EL-Wire(?) Flourescent flexible tubing
that glows with a small voltage. IIRC you can even
get them to flash. You might be able to loop it a few
times around the circumference of your helmet.

Jaycar in Sydney (York St.) has a ****load of these
in various colours hanging up on the back wall of the
shop. I expect most electronic shops would carry them,
particularly ones that carry case-modding gear like
neon strips etc.

-kt

Old October 31st 04, 06:28 PM
kingsley

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:16:15 +0000, Andrew Reddaway wrote:

I've got good lights (lumicycle total 30w) and 2 multi-LED red blinkies
at the back. And I've got some reflective tape on my helmet and bike.
But I still may not be visible to merging cars, if their headlights
aren't shining on me directly and my lights are blocked by other cars.
That's why I'm thinking of a *glowing* helmet band, rather than just
reflecting.

BTW: I've got a pair of those Knog bar-end lights.
I've only used them once at night, but on the ride
home some retard yelled out of his car "YES! WE CAN SEE YOU".
So... they must work, I had them running in flash mode.

-kt

Old November 3rd 04, 10:32 PM
hippy

"kingsley" wrote in message
BTW: I've got a pair of those Knog bar-end lights.
I've only used them once at night, but on the ride
home some retard yelled out of his car "YES! WE CAN SEE YOU".
So... they must work, I had them running in flash mode.

Are these the ones that fit into the ends of the drops
and flash red rearwards? I think they are cool.
Widest part of the bike (except my arse) and not
obscured by bag/saddle/guards/aforementioned arse.

hippy

Old November 7th 04, 07:31 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:32:37 +0000, hippy wrote:

BTW: I've got a pair of those Knog bar-end lights.

Are these the ones that fit into the ends of the drops
and flash red rearwards? I think they are cool.
Widest part of the bike (except my arse) and not
obscured by bag/saddle/guards/aforementioned arse.

Yes and no - same sort of thing, 'cept they are two-sided
they flash (or steady) white front and red rear. So they're
really only suited to straight MTB-esque 'bars.

They are kind of chunky, but I like them - on the
commuter anyway.

-kt

PS Can you please take a new copy of the FAQ for your
mirror.

Old November 7th 04, 10:34 PM
hippy

"kingsley" wrote in message
PS Can you please take a new copy of the FAQ for your
mirror.

I've sent myself a reminder.. I'll try to get it done asap.

hippy