6 YO child + 45Kms = child abuse?

Old January 11th 06, 07:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default 6 YO child + 45Kms = child abuse?

I rode with my 6 year old daughter yesterday for 45kms on metro bike path.
She was on a $69 K-Mart Huffy. We had a great time and she was smiling all
the 5 hour and singing along. I was so proud of her until someone said that
was child abuse.

What do you think? Anyone else have kids that young that ride that
distance?

Old January 11th 06, 07:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Shaw wrote:
I rode with my 6 year old daughter yesterday for 45kms on metro bike path.
She was on a $69 K-Mart Huffy. We had a great time and she was smiling all
the 5 hour and singing along. I was so proud of her until someone said that
was child abuse.

What do you think? Anyone else have kids that young that ride that
distance?

No the distance is fine. Its making her ride a Huffy that is child abuse

Dave
Old January 11th 06, 07:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-11, Shaw (aka Bruce)
I rode with my 6 year old daughter yesterday for 45kms on metro bike path.
She was on a $69 K-Mart Huffy. We had a great time and she was smiling all
the 5 hour and singing along. I was so proud of her until someone said that
was child abuse.

What do you think? Anyone else have kids that young that ride that
distance?

Cruel and unusual punishment indeed, on a huffy. She was probably
acting happy so as not to receive torture as well.

P.S. Buhahahaha! A friend of yours? Child abuse indeed. Should've
put them in the 4WD, less you be seen as unAustralian.

--
TimC
ATC: Airliner 123, turn right 20 degrees for noise abatement.
Old January 11th 06, 07:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Shaw Wrote:
I rode with my 6 year old daughter yesterday for 45kms on metro bike
path.
She was on a $69 K-Mart Huffy. We had a great time and she was
smiling all
the 5 hour and singing along. I was so proud of her until someone
said that
was child abuse.

What do you think? Anyone else have kids that young that ride that
distance?

I saw plenty of young kids doing the 45km distance in Amy's Ride on
the weekend. Whoever said that clearly has no idea about the resilience
of children and how much energy they can have.

Child abuse is letting them sit in front of the TV to get fat and
lazy.

--
SuzieB

Old January 11th 06, 07:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dave Wrote:
Shaw wrote:
I rode with my 6 year old daughter yesterday for 45kms on metro bike

path.
She was on a $69 K-Mart Huffy. We had a great time and she was

smiling all
the 5 hour and singing along. I was so proud of her until someone

said that
was child abuse.

What do you think? Anyone else have kids that young that ride that
distance?

No the distance is fine. Its making her ride a Huffy that is child
abuse

Dave

*laugh*
ohhh that is fantastic to get your kid out riding that far... and if
she is enjoying it thats even better! But I agree on a Huffy...! That
is cruel....

--
MikeyOz

Old January 11th 06, 08:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

My 6yo did 40 ks regularly - when he turned 7 he requested a bike with
gears.

--
Greenboy

Old January 11th 06, 09:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

who Says it abuse????????
Better that than having them sit in front of the playstation all day.

--
Regards

Max

I repeat- your life is just a test life.
Had it been an actual life you would have received further instructions
on what to do and where to go.

http://www.ipswichbug.org

Old January 11th 06, 09:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Shaw" writes:

I rode with my 6 year old daughter yesterday for 45kms on metro bike path.
She was on a $69 K-Mart Huffy. We had a great time and she was smiling all
the 5 hour and singing along. I was so proud of her until someone said that
was child abuse.

Eh?

Has this someone been living under a rock for so long that the obesity
epidemic in Australia has passed them by? Is this someone ignorant to
the fact that Australia is the second fattest nation in the world?

Ferrying your kids everywhere by car, wrapping them in cotton wool from
the real world, feeding them processed crap and sugar drinks, chemicals
and lord knows what else, relying on the telly, playstation or whatever
to provide all their entertainment: THAT'S CHILD ABUSE!

Sharing physical past times with your child, spending a large chunk of
one on one time devoted to your child: man you should be applauded!
Heck I'm applauding you! Not many occasions in my life that I remember
my Dad spending five un-interrupted hours with me.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old January 11th 06, 10:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Shaw" wrote in message
I rode with my 6 year old daughter yesterday for 45kms on metro bike path.
She was on a $69 K-Mart Huffy. We had a great time and she was smiling all
the 5 hour and singing along. I was so proud of her until someone said
that was child abuse.

What do you think? Anyone else have kids that young that ride that
distance?

It's a creditable distance for a 6 year old, but if she's happy then I'd say
it's anything but abuse.

Old January 11th 06, 11:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:07:56 +0800, Shaw wrote:

What do you think? Anyone else have kids that young that ride that
distance?

Depends on the child and the ride. If she's smiling the whole way,
"someone" can go play in the traffic. I'd consider the 30km of Anderson's
fire trail to be nasty to most 16 year olds without experience, so I'd be
hesitant to take virtually any 6 year old down there. But a 45km bike path
cruise, with the option to bail as soon as anyone feels uncomfortable?
That's fantastic!

--
Dave Hughes |
'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come,