Impotence and bicycle riding

Old February 17th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Default Impotence and bicycle riding

OK, I have heard that some male bicyclists suffer from impotence. I'm
unsure if it's permanent, but when asking my buddy, the ex semi pro
racer about this, he told me that there is a nerve which bicycle seats
compress. That nerve is necessary for the sexual response. He said
sometimes in very dedicated bicycle riders, it can be long term too, but
it's not a common among hobbyists.

My wife asked me if a similar nerve exists in the female anatomy and if
it has a similar effect for avid female bicycle riders. Yeah, I know
females can't be technically impotent, but they can experience reduced
sexual response.

I post with some trepidation as I'm looking for a serious answer. I
dread some of the responses, but OK, I asked for it. I'm really curious.

-paul
Old February 17th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..
OK, I have heard that some male bicyclists suffer from impotence. I'm
unsure if it's permanent, but when asking my buddy, the ex semi pro racer
about this, he told me that there is a nerve which bicycle seats compress.
That nerve is necessary for the sexual response. He said sometimes in very
dedicated bicycle riders, it can be long term too, but it's not a common
among hobbyists.

My wife asked me if a similar nerve exists in the female anatomy and if it
has a similar effect for avid female bicycle riders. Yeah, I know females
can't be technically impotent, but they can experience reduced sexual
response.

I post with some trepidation as I'm looking for a serious answer. I dread
some of the responses, but OK, I asked for it. I'm really curious.

-paul

This has been reported in the press since at least Oct 2005. You probably
need to register (free) to view the following NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/he...=1&oref=slogin

The Journal of Urology has also covered it.

J.

Old February 17th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 17, 11:06 am, Paul Cassel
wrote:
OK, I have heard that some male bicyclists suffer from impotence. I'm
unsure if it's permanent, but when asking my buddy, the ex semi pro
racer about this, he told me that there is a nerve which bicycle seats
compress. That nerve is necessary for the sexual response. He said
sometimes in very dedicated bicycle riders, it can be long term too, but
it's not a common among hobbyists.

My wife asked me if a similar nerve exists in the female anatomy and if
it has a similar effect for avid female bicycle riders. Yeah, I know
females can't be technically impotent, but they can experience reduced
sexual response.

I post with some trepidation as I'm looking for a serious answer. I
dread some of the responses, but OK, I asked for it. I'm really curious.

-paul

I really believe that you can waste a WHOLE lot of time worrying about
this. Time that could be spent riding.

Statistically, I'm quite sure that most former riders die of old age.

Lewis.

*****
Old February 17th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute

On Feb 17, 5:06*pm, Paul Cassel
wrote:
OK, I have heard that some male bicyclists suffer from impotence. I'm
unsure if it's permanent, but when asking my buddy, the ex semi pro
racer about this, he told me that there is a nerve which bicycle seats
compress. That nerve is necessary for the sexual response. He said
sometimes in very dedicated bicycle riders, it can be long term too, but
it's not a common among hobbyists.

My wife asked me if a similar nerve exists in the female anatomy and if
it has a similar effect for avid female bicycle riders. Yeah, I know
females can't be technically impotent, but they can experience reduced
sexual response.

I post with some trepidation as I'm looking for a serious answer. I
dread some of the responses, but OK, I asked for it. I'm really curious.

-paul

1. There's probably a sale on fireproof overalls on somewhere! Look
for "Nomex".

2. Jay has already given you a reference to a popularization of the
scientific knowledge on the subject.

3. Impotence doesn't attack those of us who have put our minds in gear
and bought ergonomically superior bicycle seats. Note the word "seat"
-- a saddle with a slot in in, or bumps on it, can only alleviate the
problem, not remove it. A more radical rethink is required. I use the
Cheeko 90 seat pictured here on one of my bikes:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...%20Smover.html
and find it satisfactory but there are many others of more elaborate
design.

4. Trivia corner. First, the usual caution: I'm no anatomist and he
source of my information is hardly the most respectable. There used to
be, may still be, a programme on television called "Eurotrash", which
was soft porn dressed up as reporting of the demimondaine. I caught it
one night searching for a Marx Bros movie that was listed in the Irish
television guide, back then deplorably unreliable. I came across this
wretched programme just as the presenter introduced a man who acts in
hard core pornography. This undoubted expert explained that extra
sperm may be generated by rubbing the small space between the bottom
of the testicle sac and the anus. Since sperm is not generated in a
particular place but in several places, this fellow was talking not
about glandular but nerve stimulation. A nerve would easily have more
to do with sexual response than a gland. Given for what it is worth.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html
Old February 17th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Jay wrote:
[...]

Thx, Jay. I am already registered. I'll get there and read it now.

-paul
Old February 18th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Paul Cassel:
He said
sometimes in very dedicated bicycle riders, it can be long term too, but
it's not a common among hobbyists.

There have been several threads on this in rec.bicycles.tech.

Try Googling a little and you might find at least one of them.

My recollection is that the consensus was that the problem is way
overstated.

OTOH, I can say with some certainty that cycling is definitely a
risk factor for prostatitis. That from a urologist and personal
experience. Doesn't keep me off the bike - but it's there.
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 18th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Yes. Female cyclists in this study (see below) had less genital nerve
sensation than the control group (runners). "...bicyclists had
significantly higher VTs than runners, indicating worse neurological
function at all sites..."

From http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...9.2006.00317.x

Quote:
=============================
The Journal of Sexual Medicine
Volume 3 Issue 6 Page 1018-1027, November 2006

To cite this article: Marsha K. Guess MD, Kathleen Connell MD, Steven
Schrader PhD, Susan Reutman PhD, Andrea Wang MD, Julie LaCombe MD,
Christine Toennis PhD, Brian Lowe PhD, Arnold Melman MD, Magdy Mikhail
MD (2006) Genital Sensation and Sexual Function in Women Bicyclists
and Runners: Are Your Feet Safer than Your Seat?
The Journal of Sexual Medicine 3 (6) , 1018–1027 doi:10.1111/j.
1743-6109.2006.00317.x

Abstract
ORIGINAL RESEARCH—WOMEN’S SEXUAL HEALTH
Genital Sensation and Sexual Function in Women Bicyclists and Runners:
Are Your Feet Safer than Your Seat?
Marsha K. Guess, MD,**Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore
Medical Center, Bronx, NY, Marsha K. Guess, MD, Departments of
Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive, Yale University School of
Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, Room 308, New Haven, CT 06520, USA. Tel:
(203) 785-3469; Fax: (203) 430 8586; E-mail:
Kathleen Connell, MD,††Departments of Obstetrics & Gynecology and
Women’s Health and Urology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/
Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, and Steven Schrader,
PhD,‡‡National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health—
Reproductive Health Assessment, Cincinnati, OH, USA Susan Reutman,
PhD,‡‡National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health—
Reproductive Health Assessment, Cincinnati, OH, USA Andrea Wang,
MD,††Departments of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women’s Health and
Urology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical
Center, Bronx, NY, and Julie LaCombe, MD,††Departments of Obstetrics &
Gynecology and Women’s Health and Urology, Albert Einstein College of
Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, and Christine Toennis,
PhD,‡‡National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health—
Reproductive Health Assessment, Cincinnati, OH, USA Brian Lowe,
PhD,‡‡National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health—
Reproductive Health Assessment, Cincinnati, OH, USA Arnold Melman,
MD,††Departments of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women’s Health and
Urology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical
Center, Bronx, NY, and and Magdy Mikhail, MD††Departments of
Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women’s Health and Urology, Albert
Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, and
*Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx,
NY, †Departments of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women’s Health and
Urology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical
Center, Bronx, NY, and ‡National Institute for Occupational Safety and
Health—Reproductive Health Assessment, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Marsha K. Guess, MD, Departments of Obstetrics & Gynecology and
Reproductive, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street,
Room 308, New Haven, CT 06520, USA. Tel: (203) 785-3469; Fax: (203)
430 8586; E-mail:

ABSTRACT

Introduction. Bicycling is associated with neurological impairment and
impotence in men. Similar deficits have not been confirmed in women.

Aim. To evaluate the effects of bicycling on genital sensation and
sexual function in women.

Methods. Healthy, premenopausal, competitive women bicyclists and
runners (controls) were compared.

Main Outcome Measures. (1) Genital vibratory thresholds (VTs) were
determined using the Medoc Vibratory Sensation Analyzer 3000. (2)
Sexual function and sexually related distress were assessed by the
Dennerstein Personal Experience Questionnaire (SPEQ) and the Female
Sexual Distress Scale (FSDS).

Results. Forty-eight bicyclists and 22 controls were enrolled. The
median age was 33 years. The bicyclists were older, had higher body
mass indices (BMIs), were more diverse in their sexual orientation,
and were more likely to have a current partner. Bicyclists rode an
average of 28.3 ± 19.7 miles/day (range 4–100), 3.8 ± 1.5 days/week,
for an average of 2.1 ± 1.8 hours/ride. The mean number of years
riding was 7.9 ± 7.1 years (range 0.5–30). Controls ran an average of
4.65 ± 2.1 miles/day (range 1.5–8) and 5.0 ± 1.2 days/week. On
bivariate analysis, bicyclists had significantly higher VTs than
runners, indicating worse neurological function at all sites (P
0.05). Multivariate analysis found significant correlations between
higher VTs and bicycling at the left and right perineum, posterior
vagina, left and right labia. Increasing VTs at the clitoris, anterior
vagina, and urethra were associated with age. In bicyclists, there
were no correlations between VTs and miles biked per week, duration of
riding, or BMI. Composite SPEQ scores indicated normal sexual function
in all sexually active subjects. Neither group suffered from sexually
related distress.

Conclusion. There is an association between bicycling and decreased
genital sensation in competitive women bicyclists. Negative effects on
sexual function and quality of life were not apparent in our young,
healthy premenopausal cohort. Guess MK, Connell K, Schrader S, Reutman
S, Wang A, LaCombe J, Toennis C, Lowe B, Melman A, and Mikhail MK.
Genital sensation and sexual function in women bicyclists and runners:
Are your feet safer than your seat? J Sex Med 2006;3:1018–1027.

This article is cited by:
Lara J. Burrows, MD, MSc, Howard A. Shaw, MD, and Andrew T. Goldstein,
MD. (2008) The Vulvar Dermatoses. The Journal of Sexual Medicine 5:2,
276–283
=============================
End quote.

Old February 18th 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

[...]

There is always a possibility of nerve compression causing permanent
damage.

When I started riding seriously back in the early 70s I had "sleepy winky
syndrome" during every ride. Narrow round top plastic "ass hatchet"
saddles were the main cause. I tried about 10-15 different saddles and
found that a properly adjusted Brooks Pro cured the problem for me.

The first generation Avocet Touring I (cheapest model) also worked well.
Overly padded gel saddles are fine for a few miles but I end up with some
nerve compression from sinking into the gel on longer rides.

Last year I discovered the WTB Pure V Race saddles. They make a lot of
different models. The Pure V Race saddles that I ride on have a wide flat
rear just like a Brooks Pro but they also have a "love channel" in the
middle and gel padding in the front.

Prostatitis is a very common problem for men from age 40 on. It's not
talked about very much. I've been having recurrent UTI infections for the
past 10 years. They sometimes keeps me off of the bike. I've gone back to
the old fashioned 2 bolt adjustable seat posts and I use a dial protractor
and meter stick to make sure that all of my saddles are adjusted to the
same height and angle. One degree of tilt or 1/8" in height can make a big
difference in comfort for me.

For years I've watched people endure seat discomfort. It's probably the
single biggest cause for beginners to give up cycling, especially women. I
haven't seen any magic formula for finding and adjusting a seat properly
and bike fit Nazis don't help the problem much. It comes down to trial and
error.

Chas.

Old February 18th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Paul Cassel:
He said
sometimes in very dedicated bicycle riders, it can be long term too,

but
it's not a common among hobbyists.

There have been several threads on this in rec.bicycles.tech.

Try Googling a little and you might find at least one of them.

My recollection is that the consensus was that the problem is way
overstated.

OTOH, I can say with some certainty that cycling is definitely a
risk factor for prostatitis. That from a urologist and personal
experience. Doesn't keep me off the bike - but it's there.
--
PeteCresswell

Prostatitis is very common in men over 40 but isn't discussed very much.
I've been dealing with recurrent prostatitis for the past 10 years and
there have been times that it's kept me off the bike.

I ridden Brooks Pro saddles on most of my bikes since the 70s. Last year I
tried a WTB Pure V Race saddle and now I have them on 5 bikes. They have a
wide flat rear like a Pro with a channel down the middle to prevent
pressure in that area and a gel padded area in the nose for junior and the
boys.

Chas.

Old February 18th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per * * Chas:
I've gone back to
the old fashioned 2 bolt adjustable seat posts and I use a dial protractor
and meter stick to make sure that all of my saddles are adjusted to the
same height and angle. One degree of tilt or 1/8" in height can make a big
difference in comfort for me.

I'll second both of those assertions.

With seat angle, I find a clear diff just from a turn or so of a
two-bolt saddle's adjustment screw.

With height, there's maximum pedaling efficiency... and then,
about a quarter or even half inch down there's minimal exposure
to UT issues.
--
PeteCresswell

Impotence Edward Dolan Social Issues 159 July 12th 06 08:35 AM
Impotence Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 163 July 12th 06 08:35 AM
bike riding & impotence? bicycle_disciple Techniques 14 April 5th 06 04:18 PM
Riding a bike causes male impotence !!!!!!!!!!!! Bruno Beam Techniques 26 December 23rd 04 10:06 AM
Which bicycle saddle best for 'impotence' risk? Jack Blake General 5 August 29th 04 02:57 AM